With a family on a budget

(7 Posts)
Mullinsamy Sat 18-May-13 14:41:24

Hi There, need some advice. Me, my DP and two DS's are going on holiday in two weeks to Kiln Park in Tenby. We are going with another family, who are in dire financial straits, so we are covering the accommodation cost. I have also booked us tickets to the nearby Folly Farm. These are such good friends of ours, and I know they feel rubbish for not being able to pay towards the accommodation, I don't want them to come and spend all week feeling guilty and uncomfortable. Can anyone recommend any good things to do in the area (we all have cars), that are relatively cheap, so that if I suggest them, they aren't going to be panicking about the cost. They are a couple with a 4 year old son, and our sons are 1 and 14 years. We all work like dogs at our various jobs and this is a rare chance for us to be away from the slog and be together. It is soooo important they and us are relaxed x

Sirzy Sat 18-May-13 14:47:55

Kiln park is a massive site with lots on so you will be able to spend time there anyway which will be free - perhaps collect a load of 10p and 2ps before going though for the arcades!

The beaches around that area are lovely too so you will be able to spend a fair amount of time on there. Tenby is lovely to just wander around for a few hours anyway.

Folly farm is fantastic and last time we went offered the option to use your ticket for a second day (it was either free or much discounted) which you may find the younger children want but not sure the 14 year old would like that.

Mullinsamy Sat 18-May-13 14:57:28

Thanks Sirzy, that is reassuring about the park. We have done the Haven thing before but at different parks. I just am worried they will feel pressured spending money they haven't got and then being secretly unhappy.

Pouncer1 Mon 27-May-13 17:07:12

Lilly ponds and Barafundle not far from there.

serin Mon 27-May-13 18:41:15

Crabbing/ Fishing off a pier.

Beach BBQ (even if its just a disposable BBQ and some hot dogs)

Body boarding (well maybe not the one yr old)

Collect driftwood and have a night time fire on the beach with marshmallows.

Check out visit England website for details of ay free events (often also advertised on the local councils website)

2 lovely beaches, walk up to the old castle.

Lovely cafe on one of the beaches, and lovely fish and chips in the centre of Tenby. Look for the one with the longest queue!

zumo Tue 28-May-13 16:33:43

You should be very proud of what you are doing as they will remeber the holiday for a long time.
AS Serin said above traditional things on the beach.
For crab fishing take a Persil soap tablet bag on a string weight it down with a stone and a bit of bacon, crabs love it, keeps the kids busy for hours and no sharp hooks, these are excellent
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crab-Prawn-Shrimp-small-fish-sea-fishing-drop-net-/181148467679?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item2a2d4a41df
Local shops sell them for about £3-4.
THe smaller kids would love a blow up boat only cheap shallow water towing the kids along they loved it.
Oh dontfor get a bucket and net for rock pool fishing, wish I was comming LOL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now