Is Twycross Zoo any good?

(19 Posts)

I love it but then again I'm only down the road from it so it's a quick and easy day out.

There are a lot of enclosures closed atm so it's not at its best. Last time I was there (a couple of weeks ago) I overheard some bloke saying to his partner that if zoos were dogs then it would be a shih tzu! grin

(Don't let that put you off though!)

Twycross is full of primates but has other animals. My favourite being the penguins. It is nice for a first zoo trip.
I have also been to Whipsnade which is huge and exhausting to get around but also very good. The Elephants there are great grin

Ilovehotchoc Sun 19-May-13 16:40:32

It's not a huge zoo like Chester, Whipsnade and Woburn which are vast. We used to find Twycross a nice size when our DS' were toddling as its not too big and they can have a toddle around. There are a lot of monkeys, but they also have plenty of other animals too - penguins, aardvarks, otters, sea lions, meerkats etc. The elephants are amazing and you can get really close to them. There are also a few little play areas and a nice big picnic area. I would recommend it as a first time trip to the zoo for your little one.

porkbun Thu 16-May-13 22:44:51

We lives right next to a canal, so we feed ducks, pigeons, swans, and other little birds quite often. We have taken DD to see chickens, sheeps, and rabbits before, which she also likes. Great giant tortoise might be an attraction smile Don't know where the giraffes went. From what I can see, it seems like the zoo doesn't have that many animals like it used to have. Might still give it a go since it's not that far from where we lives. Chester and Whipsnade are on our list smile Thanks for all the useful information.

Pancakeflipper Thu 16-May-13 22:17:31

Where did the giraffes go to ?

White Post Farm is a good suggestion. Great giant tortoise.

knackeredmother Thu 16-May-13 20:29:22

I thought it was good when I went. Much much better than white post farm as was suggested earlier.

ChozRa Thu 16-May-13 18:28:27

I think it's a great day out. There is a lovely walk round the elephants with a Borneo theme - I liked it so much I e-mailed the zoo to tell them! They have snow leopards which are gorgeous and the side window of the cafe is the window to their enclosure so you can potentially have lunch right next to a snow leopard. Really good gift shop too. They've done a lot of updating and improving lately - I think there's a dinosaur exhibition at the moment. But yes, there are lots of primates.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 16-May-13 18:04:46

Not been for a couple years but its a nice day out

BackforGood Thu 16-May-13 18:01:27

I like Twycross, but from memory, (my dcs are a lot older now) I think before the age of about 5, they are very happy at the local children's farms... bit more set up for that age group, usually less far to travel, and generally costing a lot less smile.
Twtcross is nice, as zoos go though.

Springforward Thu 16-May-13 17:58:32

No, IME. MIL made us go once to see the orangutans. Chester and Whipsnade are vastly better IMO.

Apologies just had a look online and yes giraffes gone sorry.
I would still go though.
Is whipsnade too far? Prob same as Chester?
Have you been to white post farm?

porkbun Thu 16-May-13 17:46:16

I thought they don't have giraffes there anymore, no big cats either. Mainly primates they have. After reading mixed reviews on tripadvisor, I am slightly unsure about whether we should go or not. Chester zoo looks like a much better choice but it is far away from us (we live in EastMidland).

Would recommend. Great day out. You can take a picnic or they have changed the restaurant by the main entrance that was pretty good.
My niece loved the giraffes at that age.

Pancakeflipper Thu 16-May-13 17:23:04

We went when DS2 was nearly 2. He seemed to enjoy it. Thought the monkeys were hilarious. Liked the elephants and giraffe. It was a good family day out.

porkbun Thu 16-May-13 17:20:56

Thank you very much!

Morgause Thu 16-May-13 15:54:50

Yes, but there are smaller animals that can be petted in a small enclosure and donkeys. He was 18 months the first time we went.

He loved the orang utans which you can view from inside a den with a huge glass window.

porkbun Thu 16-May-13 14:59:00

How old was your DS at that time? So basically you walk around the zoo and most of the animals are staying in a restricted area, is that right?

Morgause Thu 16-May-13 14:40:10

Twycross is lovely. Took our DS there when he was a toddler and he loved it.

porkbun Thu 16-May-13 14:38:52

We are thinking to take our little daughter (15 months old) to the Twycross Zoo. Has anybody been there before? Is it suitable for a young toddler? Our little one loves animal pictures so we thought might be worth to take her to a zoo and see the live animals. If not, any other zoos would you recommend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now