seaside recommendations (driving from Herts) for a toddler day out?

(14 Posts)
happyhorse Fri 26-Apr-13 21:49:29

Clacton has a pier with kiddie rides and an aquarium. Large sandy beach. Frinton is supposed to be very nice - might do a day trip there myself.

shopafrolic Fri 26-Apr-13 21:15:25

Agree with MrsJD Thameslink it to Brighton.

Bananasinfadedpjs Fri 26-Apr-13 21:13:45

Walton on the Naze is nice, has a good sandy beach.

Or Felixstowe?

I'm in Herts - Frintons the closest and very quiet and lovely.

Nice sweet shop, great fish and chip shop - no arcades, no noise, no chains on the teeny high street. 1.5 hours from west Herts where I am.

Have been each year for the last 3 for the day. Just wander along the pebble beach and eat fish and chips.

MrsJohnDeere Fri 26-Apr-13 21:13:29

Thameslink train down to Brighton (from Luton)?

Phantomteadrinker Fri 26-Apr-13 21:10:30

Yep clacton is the closest with a good beach. It's a good all round seaside resort. There is also margate. Southend is the very closest but not a nice sandy beach but great ride for little ones

takeaway2 Fri 26-Apr-13 21:10:21

Come to kent. It's lovely. Lots of shops for you and lovely fish and chips in Whitstable. It's pebbly but you can do lots with pebbles. If you want sandy we have them too. Broad stairs has a lovely sandy one.

Fuckwittery Fri 26-Apr-13 21:06:28

North herts btw

Fuckwittery Fri 26-Apr-13 21:06:13

Ooh sorry I never said thank you for the replies! Think Bournemouth and west wittering would sadly mean too long a stretch on the m25 for one day but southwold looks lovely, and Clacton would def be doable. What is Clacton like happyhorse?

happyhorse Fri 26-Apr-13 20:04:04

I'm in Herts too. Clacton is a fairly easy distance for the day. Leigh on Sea is nearer but less to do.

happyyonisleepyyoni Wed 24-Apr-13 16:58:20

Depending on what part of Herts, Southwold or North Norfolk about 2 hour journey. Both lovely. Southend nearer but grim.

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Wed 24-Apr-13 16:50:49

West Wittering!!! Its a lovely sandy beach with dunes huts and long stretches of sand to play on. Car park free off peek (winter) but £5 cash on arrival summer. Small cafe and loos but nothing much there so bring all you need!smile theres some nice pubs nearby too for tea after.

mirry2 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:31:09

All beaches are a long way from Herts but what about Bournemouth? I think it's the closest. On second thoughts the Kent coast is fairly accessible if you go round the M25.

Fuckwittery Wed 24-Apr-13 15:25:02

DD2 (nearly 3) has been asking pretty much daily to go to the seaside throughout the winter. (inspired by peppa pig episode where they go to the seaside in the snow I think !)

So, I'm going to take her next weekend on her birthday, but I live in the landlocked county of Hertfordshire. Anyone got any suggestions for a toddler friendly beach within reasonable distance of Herts where we can get fish and chips and shelter somewhere if its rainy? All the east coast beaches are a bit of a trek, happy to drive a couple of hours, but not sure where would be good to go, would like it to be a lovely resort if we're driving all that way! Any recommendations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now