Things to do in and around Woolacombe please

(19 Posts)
Blatherskite Sun 21-Apr-13 22:09:46

DH and I have just booked a week in Woolcambe in July. We'll be taking 6yo DS and 3yo DD and it will be our main holiday of the year.

I'm hoping the weather is going to be glorious and we can spend days on the beach with buckets and spades and picnics - but if it isn't, or if we somehow manage to get bored of making sandcastles, I'd like to have a few ideas of other things to do too. I've been looking online but thought I'd ask here to get some recommendations too as I've found to my cost in the past that websites can often be deceiving.

Qunice Honey Farm looks good. Is it worth a visit?

Should we drive over to Tunnels Beach in Ilfracombe?

TIA for all advice.

Blatherskite Tue 23-Apr-13 08:22:09

bump

Blatherskite Wed 24-Apr-13 21:15:11

One last bump then I'm giving up sad

Blu Wed 24-Apr-13 21:24:48

I haven't been since I was a child, but remember the area v fondly.
this has a list of suggested places

Blatherskite Wed 24-Apr-13 21:55:51

Thanks Blu. I'll have a look.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 24-Apr-13 21:58:10

We had a great day here last year.

The Big Sheep near Bideford is fantastic and well worth a visit. We have had several days out there and always thoroughly enjoyed it.

Blatherskite Wed 24-Apr-13 22:03:31

They both look like fun. Thank you

TiredFeet Wed 24-Apr-13 22:08:54

I quite like tunnels beach when we went there with Ds, it wasn't a very sunny day so it was quite empty but there were lots of rockpools etc and its quite dramatic

I can still remember going to the honey farm when I was a child! A long time ago now but it obviously made an impression

Woolacombe beach is really lovely smile

We found a brilliant little fish shop just outside woolacombe (can't remember name, will try and google, you had to drive up big windy hill) with beautiful fresh fish and a cafe too. Great if you are seafood lovers and ds loved looking at all the fish. We were self catering so cooked a delicious meal

Hope you get some more tips, am tempted to go back there soon!

Oh I love woolacombe. We have been a few times.
We went Easter and met Bill Bailey down in the village smile

Tbh we don't do much, just beach, kites, picnic, bucket n spades.
Arcades
Swimming at holiday campsite
Drive to ilfracombe and that place where the cliff railway is (mind has gone blank, sorry)
Open top bus
Crazy golf
Surf lessons

Usual holiday stuff

Have a great time

TiredFeet Wed 24-Apr-13 22:12:45

Think it was Mortehoe shellfish from googling! Can't link from phone but a google should find it if you're interested

Blatherskite Wed 24-Apr-13 22:17:00

Thanks Tiredfeet. We are self catering too and DS loves fish so we could certainly have a go at finding that fish shop smile

I've never been Devon before so I'm really looking forward to it. Hoping the weather will be good enough for usual holiday stuff but planning a contingency just in case. We went to Scarborough last year and it rained pretty much every day!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 24-Apr-13 22:22:59

Cliff railway - lynmouth?

TiredFeet Wed 24-Apr-13 22:24:42

I like the look of the wildlife and dinosaur park!

That's it Iwish! Thanks, Lynton & lynmouth cliff railway smile

I'm sure there's a dinosaur park thingy near too, Combe Martin I think...

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 24-Apr-13 22:29:12

That's the one I linked to Pattie

We had a brilliant day there.

X post

MrsReacher Wed 24-Apr-13 22:30:04

We had a lovely day at the wildlife and dinosaurs park when dd was about 8. It's worth it for the sea lion show alone. 4 years later she still quotes from it !

Irishmammybread Wed 24-Apr-13 22:32:25

The Big Sheep is great fun, also google The Gnome Reserve!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now