National Trust Membership - worth it?

(12 Posts)
serin Tue 23-Apr-13 23:45:34

We used to be members when the kids were younger but there is nothing so uncool as trailing around stately homes with your parents in your teenage years grin

They run lots of seasonal events and activities as well.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 23-Apr-13 20:33:42

we have a family membership.. and love it.
we have the book in the car and instead of stopping at service stations on longer journeys we make a small detour by the nearest NT place.

we have a NT house 3/4 of a mile from the house and it is brilliant. we go several times a month.
all the ones we have been to have had brilliant children's area's.

CocktailQueen Tue 23-Apr-13 20:29:15

Yes, definitely! You only have to visit a few NT places per year as a family to recoup your membership costs, and they have great gardens to run around in, and also nice cafes and playgrounds etc. My kids prefer those to the actual NT houses <no taste>

LillianGish Tue 23-Apr-13 19:50:03

You don't have to go very often to get your money back then it's a great free day out. Don't forget to keep the cards with you - can also be a good place to stop for lunch on long car journeys.

lottieandmia Tue 23-Apr-13 19:49:23

Thanks for replies - I decided to join - got the 12 months for the price of 9 smile

noramum Tue 23-Apr-13 19:45:30

We have ours for 13 years now, added DD and now have a family one. We use it a lot, we often go to the same places as lots in our area have parks and gardens for picnic.

They do lots of holiday activities as well.

Also useful when we do longer trips or weekend breaks to have a break in the drive. Good for getting some air and running around plus their cafes are good value.

ohforfoxsake Thu 18-Apr-13 10:12:34

Absolutely! Check Quido for cashback (it's usually quite hefty) and look for the 12 months for the price of 9 offer.

lottieandmia Thu 18-Apr-13 10:11:16

Thanks for replies - it seems like a good deal to me. My dcs are 11, 9 and 4.

givemeaclue Thu 18-Apr-13 09:18:53

Yes we use ours loads. It is free entry this weekend to all properties, look online for voucher

baldarab Wed 17-Apr-13 22:47:41

We joined precisely because we used to live near a lot of NT places (we used to be in Marlow), and got a lot of value out of them. I think that's the key - being nearby. Now that we are in Twickenham, we dropped the NT as there's less of interest, and picked up Kew Gardens instead. Obvious to say, but only worth the money if you use them. We did, and loved it. (Family of 4, aged 4 to 11).

Hassled Wed 17-Apr-13 22:47:14

Probably yes, for a year or so. Just don't do what we've done which is exhaust all the local NT places (I mean go so often that you're bored of all of them) and then fail to cancel your membership for some years.

lottieandmia Wed 17-Apr-13 22:42:16

We have lots of NT places near us so I am thinking this might be a way to keep the children entertained some of the time during the summer holidays. Are they worth the money?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now