Manchester museum - what's it like?

(14 Posts)
Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 21:03:41

True, sounds like a goer then, can plot tomorrow!

Hulababy Wed 17-Apr-13 20:36:30

No issues with town walking tbh; the big ones are all sensible anyway

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 20:18:00

I can though, DH says he's walked passes it lots of times and that the road has wide paths.

Hulababy Wed 17-Apr-13 20:15:47

The 3y is my niece; no pushchair anymore.
Think she would cope with the walk; is there anywhere on the route to stop mid way for a drink if she gets tired?
To be fair she has walked further when we went on a country walk, but her dad did carry her a little way too - I wouldn't be able to carry her really though.

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 20:13:49

Thanks for the comments,

Coming from Sheffield which is and hour on the train,

Like the sound of good cakes, plus could be a good incentive to get the girls to walk!

Fishlegs Wed 17-Apr-13 20:10:28

It's less than a mile from oxford road st but along a busy road. There's frequent buses if the children were tired on the way back.

choceyes Wed 17-Apr-13 20:09:58

I'd say about 3 hours worth if you haven't been before. It's great we love it! Its about a 10 mins walk from Oxford Road station.

ZenNudist Wed 17-Apr-13 20:08:27

It's a fair walk, especially with a 3yo. You could get a bus. Cross the road & get a 142, 42, 143, or 43 they're really frequent. Mind you with so many kids could get ££?

Fishlegs Wed 17-Apr-13 20:07:50

Hmm, I reckon it depends how far you're coming and how long you plan to spend there. They've got a lot of stuffed animals and birds which my dcs find fascinating but may not be to everyone's taste. There's also a small vivarium (frogs, snakes, lizards), a drawing/book area and an ancient Egyptian section, also a t-rex skeleton. It would fill a couple of hours but not much more than that.

They do have some good activities on at the weekend and school hols, should be on the website. Also a good cafe with nice cakes. If you were coming from a distance, you could make a full day of it by also going to the MOSI or the whitworth gallery (and the park round the back of it).

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 20:05:51

Thanks, it looks like it wouldn't be too far to walk from Oxford street station is that correct.

Is it a full day thing, couple of hours or just a pop and see?

Mummynotmum Wed 17-Apr-13 20:04:34

It's fab! Great animals, snakes, lizards etc... A massive dinosaur, space stuff...and a great cafe. My 5 and 3 yo love it. Enjoy! grin

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 20:00:39

Anyone?

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 18:16:01

Bump

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 17:15:47

Debating taking a small gaggle of children aged 11, 10, 7, 6, and 3 for the opening of the natures library.

Is there much there?

Worth a visit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now