Manchester museum - what's it like?

(14 Posts)
Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 17:15:47

Debating taking a small gaggle of children aged 11, 10, 7, 6, and 3 for the opening of the natures library.

Is there much there?

Worth a visit?

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 18:16:01

Bump

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 20:00:39

Anyone?

Mummynotmum Wed 17-Apr-13 20:04:34

It's fab! Great animals, snakes, lizards etc... A massive dinosaur, space stuff...and a great cafe. My 5 and 3 yo love it. Enjoy! grin

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 20:05:51

Thanks, it looks like it wouldn't be too far to walk from Oxford street station is that correct.

Is it a full day thing, couple of hours or just a pop and see?

Fishlegs Wed 17-Apr-13 20:07:50

Hmm, I reckon it depends how far you're coming and how long you plan to spend there. They've got a lot of stuffed animals and birds which my dcs find fascinating but may not be to everyone's taste. There's also a small vivarium (frogs, snakes, lizards), a drawing/book area and an ancient Egyptian section, also a t-rex skeleton. It would fill a couple of hours but not much more than that.

They do have some good activities on at the weekend and school hols, should be on the website. Also a good cafe with nice cakes. If you were coming from a distance, you could make a full day of it by also going to the MOSI or the whitworth gallery (and the park round the back of it).

ZenNudist Wed 17-Apr-13 20:08:27

It's a fair walk, especially with a 3yo. You could get a bus. Cross the road & get a 142, 42, 143, or 43 they're really frequent. Mind you with so many kids could get ££?

choceyes Wed 17-Apr-13 20:09:58

I'd say about 3 hours worth if you haven't been before. It's great we love it! Its about a 10 mins walk from Oxford Road station.

Fishlegs Wed 17-Apr-13 20:10:28

It's less than a mile from oxford road st but along a busy road. There's frequent buses if the children were tired on the way back.

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 20:13:49

Thanks for the comments,

Coming from Sheffield which is and hour on the train,

Like the sound of good cakes, plus could be a good incentive to get the girls to walk!

Hulababy Wed 17-Apr-13 20:15:47

The 3y is my niece; no pushchair anymore.
Think she would cope with the walk; is there anywhere on the route to stop mid way for a drink if she gets tired?
To be fair she has walked further when we went on a country walk, but her dad did carry her a little way too - I wouldn't be able to carry her really though.

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 20:18:00

I can though, DH says he's walked passes it lots of times and that the road has wide paths.

Hulababy Wed 17-Apr-13 20:36:30

No issues with town walking tbh; the big ones are all sensible anyway

Katz Wed 17-Apr-13 21:03:41

True, sounds like a goer then, can plot tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now