Things to do in Edinburgh that won't break the bank!

(10 Posts)
KristinaM Sat 13-Apr-13 19:10:10

Another vote for national museum. We always take a picnic. We were there last week and they had fab free science workshops on for kids but that might only be durning school holidays . Worth phoning to check

BeaWheesht Sat 13-Apr-13 19:07:15

Oh and yes, we went to camera obscura with ds and he loved it - it's up near the castle so you can have a look at that when you're there too.

BeaWheesht Sat 13-Apr-13 19:06:16

We usually park at the university if driving to museum.

National museum is definitely a must see, both my kids love it.

Personally I think Edinburgh castle is over-rated and massively over priced.

Zoo is good - have you booked to see the pandas though ? Food is rubbish so take a picnic. Penguin parade is at 2.15pm.

Botanics is good for a walk and take nuts to feed the squirrels.

You can get a wee boat from leith out to inchcolm island in the forth - google it for info - it's nice on a good day . There's a ruin there.

Dynamic earth is ok but vvvv expensive and nothing like as good as the national museum.

Bluemonkeyspots Sat 13-Apr-13 18:57:42

Museum as mentioned already and also the camera obscura is pretty cheap for what is a fab day out.

You also have the museum of childhood on the royal mile.

There are loads of places to eat butif the weather is on your side either take a picnic or buy sandwiches from boots/m&s and sit in princess street gardens to eat them.

You could time it to hear the 1 o'clock gun and also make a trip up the scots monument

nannynick Sat 13-Apr-13 18:50:15

Thanks, I used the Park-n-Ride from FerryToll

Groovee Sat 13-Apr-13 14:32:11

But late, but parking is a nightmare regardless in Edinburgh. I rarely use the car for places like that. But if you parked at Prestonfield and walked up or jumped on a bus would possibly your best bet.

nannynick Thu 11-Apr-13 16:17:47

I am in Edinburgh for an hour or two tomorrow... Where is best and reasonable price to park car near National Museum Scotland? Also any good places for a lowcost but nice lunch?

Sounds great thanks! Was also recommended on my other thread about this so think that will be must. Thank goodness for that was beginning to think we'd need to take out a second mortgage!

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Wed 10-Apr-13 08:40:55

National museum of Scotland is free and great. Lots to see and very child friendly. Great exhibit on top floor with dinosaurs etc.

So we're off to Edinburgh tomorrow for a couple of days. Myself, dh and both boys aged 5 and 7. We're planning to visit the zoo on one day and are staying in a hotel near there but would be grateful for recommendations for the other day.

On a quick look it does appear that it will be very easy to bankrupt ourselves with most of the major attractions costing around £50 for the 4 of us to get in. And i'm sure those of you with small boys will know that it's not a simple as thinking 'it might cost £50 but we can stay there all morning and get our moneys worth' because the boys will charge in, run round, and be ready to leave after half an hour.

So it would be great to hear what is worth spending money on, what is good for free, and any tips for getting discounts. We've discovered Edinburgh pass which for an upfront fee will let us into lots of places for free but i'm not sure how many of them will be good for the boys - if you think otherwise let me know!

Cross posting to UK to get the most input before we go tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now