London this weekend - what shall we do????

(9 Posts)
mumblechum1 Fri 29-Mar-13 15:31:08

Have booked a hotel on Park Lane for DH and I tomorrow night. We are both a bit rubbish with London, occasionally go in for court/courses/business stuff then scurry back to the country.

Bearing in mind the following:

1. DH is an utter philistine and can't cope with more than 30 minutes in any museum/gallery (I have to get my fixes with others)

2. It is going to be brass monkeys

3. The reason we are both scared of London is that we hate going on the tube and don't know our way around

Could anyone give us some tips of places within walking distance of Park Lane/Mayfair for us to wander around. We are good walkers and will happily tramp around all day as long as there are frequent hot chocolate and cake stops.

We want to avoid the tube and learn to love London by walking around it.

Also, any ideas of a nice place for dinner again pref. within walking distance of the hotel?

Thank you in advance smile

mumblechum1 Fri 29-Mar-13 16:00:00

Anyone??

AndMiffyWentToSleep Fri 29-Mar-13 16:12:32

How about a footnotes audiowalk? I love them!
Or from Park Lane you could walk west through Hyde Park and turn left half way down - walk through the lovely streets of Belgravia to Sloane Square and Kings Road, grabbing a coffee and something at Baker&Spice or other cafes on the way.
You could get up early and stroll through St James' Park before all the annoying tourists arrive and ruin it.
Or walk through mayfair to Carnaby Street and soho and Oxford Circus.
Or take a bus to the Southbank - lots going on there.

mumblechum1 Fri 29-Mar-13 16:15:05

Lovely, thank you AndMiffy. Will print off a map and work that route out.

redandwhitesprinkles Fri 29-Mar-13 16:45:54

The wine bar in the arches next to embankment. Henry's?

Walk from park lane and have a look at the south bank.

Vinopolis.

Sorry all alcohol related.

rivig Fri 29-Mar-13 16:48:56

tell hotel reception they would have good ideas. Plus they would want you to stay again so would make sure they come up with good ideas.

mumblechum1 Fri 29-Mar-13 16:52:40

Alcohol related is good wink

cassell Fri 29-Mar-13 16:53:05

You could walk down through green park past Buckingham palace then through st james park down to Westminster, past the houses of parliament and up Whitehall to trafalgar square. You could then walk up through covent garden, see if you can spot the big eggs (google the big egg hunt) and then walk down over Waterloo bridge to the south bank. With stops for tea/lunch/cake etc that would be a nice day walk and you'd see some of the major sights.

BushCricket Fri 29-Mar-13 20:28:08

If you were more shopping inclined you could go towards Oxford St - Selfridges for example - then behind that and along St Cristophers Place towards Marylebone High St. There is a farmers market just behind Marylebone High St (though not sure about Easter sunday). Providores can be a great place to eat if you like slightly adventurous cooking. There is a nice cafe in the Wallace collection near there too, or there used to be. Regent's Park is at the other end of the High St. If I was just having one day there I would then get a cab to get back to the hotel just to save time and effort.

Have a good time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now