London with kids aged 12-16 over Easter

(11 Posts)
onefewernow Wed 20-Mar-13 14:58:29

Has anyone any ideas of things I can do with three kids over the Easter break, for three days in London.

Im keen not to break the bank, so free or cheap options are especially welcome!!

Thanks

VinegarDrinker Wed 20-Mar-13 15:00:44

Look up the Barbican, Southbank Centre, Tate Modern for starters and see what free stuff they have on. Where will you be based?

onefewernow Wed 20-Mar-13 16:22:46

Hi.

Based in Finsbury Park.

I have found a few things myself this afternoon, which I will post below as it may be useful for others. Here goes:

The best free London attractions include a world-class collection of free national museums, including the British Museum, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, Science Museum and Natural History Museum.

The Saatchi Galley, Duke of Yorks's Building, Kings Road, London,SW3 4SQ, (0)20 7823 2363
V and A Museum of Childhood, Cambridge Heath Road, E2 9PA

Museum of London,
150 London Wall, London EC2Y 5HN, England (City of London),
tel (44 ) 0 20 7001 9844

Number 1 bus from Liverpool street to Fulman Broadway passes all sight and is 1.20 with an oyster card, so a lot cheaper than the tourist bus.

Views

Go to Greenwich Park, Primrose Hill (near Regent's Park) or Parliament Hill (Hampstead Heath) for views. Look out for famous landmarks like Canary Wharf, the BT Tower, Big Ben and the London Eye.

Changing the guard 11.30 alternate days, or daily May- July.

http://www.visitlondon.com/tag/free-attractions for free attractions

Theatre- standby tickets, cheap tickets on lastminute and similar, or go to the tkts booth in the middle of Leicester Square where it is possible to buy tickets at up to 50% off for West End shows both on the day and up to seven days in advance.

Look at London for free on tripadviser http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Guide-g186338-l569-London_England.html.

Please feel free to add more....so many people do visit London with olders kids, it may be useful.

Thanks

dinkystinky Wed 20-Mar-13 16:24:48

Check out the timeout website - it has details of free events and exhibitions to check out. If weather is nice, a walk along the southbank is always fun - stop at borough market and tate modern along the way. You could also get boat ride down to Greenwich if you're feeling so inclined.

VinegarDrinker Wed 20-Mar-13 16:27:32

Geffrye museum is worth looking at too. The Museum of London Docklands is also excellent for kids of all ages. The V&A Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green might be quite fun too - lots of nostalgia and good exhibitions suitable for teens. All free.

You could also hire some Boris Bikes for a couple of hours for not much money.

VinegarDrinker Wed 20-Mar-13 16:28:56

Oh and a trip on the Thames Clipper and/or the new cable car is good fun, not free but cheaper than a tourist bus/boat.

VinegarDrinker Wed 20-Mar-13 16:30:08

Do check out the events timetables for the places I mentioned above, too, they usually do excellent free holiday activities and workshops for all ages.

bruffin Wed 20-Mar-13 16:35:59

Camden and Covent Garden and South Bank

AnuC Fri 22-Mar-13 11:32:21

Lots happening over Easter. It's hard to know what to recommend. My family uses Haystacks, an iPhone app to find kids things to do! It has a few hundred events listed by area and what's near you. Hope you like it and have a good easter.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/haystacks-london-for-kids/id519655202?mt=8

onefewernow Sat 23-Mar-13 18:10:19

Thanks all.

Please feel free to add. I have enough here, but I think lots of people may take older kids to London.

VoldemortsNipple Sat 23-Mar-13 18:22:33

Can I recommend staying in the Clink 78 hostel in Kings Cross for cheap accommodation.

We stayed here last year during the Olympics with 5 dcs aged 10-16 plus one 6yo. You can get a family room and a basic self serve breakfast is included. The kitchen is well maintained so you can eat in to cut down on cost.

Clink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now