The LEGOLAND 2013 Thread Top tips and recommendations

(317 Posts)
NoRoomForMeInMyBed Fri 15-Mar-13 15:31:21

To update from last years great threadlink to the 2012 thread

The park reopens today!!! I cant go until in a few weeks time , so if you have been, please update with this years new attractions and fun!! (Overexcited mummy here....)

mybabywakesupsinging Thu 27-Jun-13 01:28:42

the worst day for crowding I have ever been was an inset day...bumped into a friend who lives near Legoland and is a regular and she confirmed it was super-busy.
Teach me to think I was being clever smile

ChocsAwayInMyGob Thu 27-Jun-13 12:05:06

mybaby- I know- I was gutted at how crowded it was on a term time Monday. It had been less busy the day before which was a Sunday and a sunny one at that!

pigleychez Thu 27-Jun-13 17:35:27

DD has INSET day tomorrow and we plan to take the trip to LL.

The weather looks showery so maybe that will keep some away.However not too much rain please!!

Chatting to another mum in the playground and she mentioned they are heading to LL tomorrow too. All our girls are in the same class and nursery so will be fab to see them there and the girls will be so pleased!
Wonder how many other school parents will be there!

havent read back but im guessing car park C is the nearest?

DH and I plan to split up and pay for one child each. DH and DD1 (4) will use the kelloggs voucher. I with DD2 (3) will go in using the Parent and toddler voucher (with a back up kelloggs voucher in case!).

Is it worth taking a buggy for DD2? She's pretty good at walking but not knowing how big it is its hard to tell. She does start to flag after a while and DH ends up carrying her. Ive heard its quite hilly?

Guessing a change of clothes is a must as some of theses rides sound quite wet! DD1 is a complete drama queen and getting splashed on other rides we've been on have caused major drama! Best brace myself!

ChocsAwayInMyGob Thu 27-Jun-13 18:53:04

pigley, personally I wouldn't take a buggy as there were millions there and you could see that it was hard to negotiate the pathways. However, if you do get stuck you can hire one, and there is also a train that goes up and down the hill to make life easier. My DS is 3.6 and walked all around with no trouble, but conked out totally on the way home.

Take a change of clothes as Duplo Valley has a wet play area that my two loved.

Car park C is the nearest non priority car park, but you are unlikely to get a choice as to where you park!

Jacaqueen Thu 27-Jun-13 21:12:16

Travelling to london on Saturday and going to legoland on Tuesday. Been before with DS1 but that was 9 years ago! Now it is DS2 turn. Just told him tonight and he is beside himself with excitement.

Plan on getting train from Waterloo to Windsor then the bus. Bit worried we wont have enough time as the park closes at 5pm. We don't really want to pay ££££ for a Qbot though. We will probably just get sandwiches from the station for lunch as I hear the food is still bad. Does anyone know anywhere decent we can have dinner in Windsor before getting the train back to london?

Will we all need a change of clothes or just the children?

Getting quite excited myself now.

Glittertwins Thu 27-Jun-13 21:32:16

I didn't think the food was that bad and not that expensive really.

Pumpkinsquid Thu 27-Jun-13 22:11:46

jaca re dinner in Windsor there are some lovely places, Zizzi by the Theatre Royal (i think the shuttle bus from LL stops just opposite) Gourmet Burger Kitchen in the Royal Station, Carluccios in the Station, Yo Sushi in Daniels Dept Store, Wagamamas...the list is endless and its all within 2-3 minutes walk of both stations.

The food at LL is not fantastic, but the Pizza buffet is fine, its hot and fresh, Stay clear of the burger joint its crap....havent tried any of the other places, we usually bring a picknick!

You all need a change of clothes, you will get wet!!! And dont miss the Pirate show, stay behind after it finishes as all the pirates come out and high 5 the kids and pose for photos!smile

Pumpkinsquid Fri 28-Jun-13 21:03:17

Oh and I forgot the Bel and Dragon on the corner next to the Riverside Station, ( not the pub opposite, the Bel is on the corner of Eton Bridge) its lovely yummy food slightly more £ but its worth it. Kid friendly too.

Mam23 Sat 29-Jun-13 20:32:02

Out of curiosity, was anyone there yesterday or today and did you consider it busy? DCs had inset day so we went figuring it would be quieter especially when we saw the overcast rainy weather. I thought it was pretty busy. We queued for everything we went on and skipped several things because the queues were at least an hour. Was dreading today being both weekend and sunny but to be honest we found it not really appreciably busier.

So was yesterday busy for a term time rainy day or was today quiet for a sunny Saturday? Just trying to gauge it before thinking of returning

Pumpkinsquid Sat 29-Jun-13 21:05:41

I went yesterday afternoon, thinking as you that the rain and overcast weather would keep it quiet, but it was packed packed packed. It usually takes me 15 minutes to drive home and it took 90 minutes yesterday. I counted 15 buses in the car park, all school children on days out so the queues were terrible. So yes it was a bad friday. If the overflow carparks in the fields are used it usually means bad news, on a quiet day carparks C and D are empty. I think Legoland is becoming so popular that its becoming hard to anticipate the crowds.

On really busy days like that me and the kids do miniland, duplo land, fairytale brook, blue train, puppetshow and pirate show and that is usually enough but keeps the kids happy. The carousel is usually ok too but yesterday it was full too...

Mam23 Sat 29-Jun-13 21:30:55

That's good to know then I suppose though a bit disappointed our plans for a quiet day didn't work out! We stayed at the hotel so didn't know how busy the general car park was. We did watch the cars leaving from our hotel window and there was standstill traffic until 7.45 which is pretty incredible given the park closed at 5. We also took 45 minutes to get in to the park yesterday morning.

The kids had a good time regardless and the hotel really

Mam23 Sat 29-Jun-13 21:32:53

Made it a bit more special than just a theme park day. We got a few rounds of the rollercoaster in this morning too before it got too busy so that was a bonus

mybabywakesupsinging Sun 30-Jun-13 01:12:42

We were there today and I think probably normal sunny summer Saturday?
I'm avoiding inset days.
There is loads to do in the afternoon when the queues are long anyway. Next time we go on a nice day I am going to take swimsuits for the new water play area (although I'm not sure how I'll ever get mine out of it once they're in?)

Glittertwins Sun 30-Jun-13 07:09:25

How can you avoid inset days? Each school in Herts is different for example so how are you going to know?

ChocsAwayInMyGob Sun 30-Jun-13 11:06:17

Every day is an inset day somewhere!

Glittertwins Sun 30-Jun-13 18:37:46

Exactly!

simpson Sun 30-Jun-13 18:41:31

We went yesterday for the first time ever.

We got there early and headed to the go karts first as I think that's where the queues can build up.

The new water park bit was very busy but the queue moves quickly (you have 20 mins in it).

We had a great day!! grin

simpson Sun 30-Jun-13 18:45:24

Forgot to say, as others said the pirate show is fab, fab, fab!!!

We got to the show 15 mins before it started to get a decent seat and then the kids ate the picnic to keep them quiet (went to 12 o clock show).

DD (5) was most chuffed to be asked to be a volunteer on stage and ring the pirate ship bell smile

The 4 D cinema was worth a visit too...

simpson Sun 30-Jun-13 18:46:25

And we saw Kirk from corrie there too grin

LovingKent Tue 02-Jul-13 20:49:44

Very useful thread thanks smile

Just browsing Legoland website and found annual pass is currently on sale for 50% off. Only til tomorrow though.

www.legoland.co.uk/Plan/annualpass/

aboutagirl Tue 02-Jul-13 20:54:07

For those that don't know expect a lot of Scots - most of Scotland's schools broke up last week sometime!

Glittertwins Tue 02-Jul-13 22:01:07

The annual pass sale ends tomorrow at 10am. But if you have a stack of Tesco clubcard vouchers, it is still cheaper to go this way.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Wed 03-Jul-13 10:02:47

I think Legoland should open another branch in the North of England. There's clearly a demand and they would clearly make a profit. I see there is a Legoland Experience in Manchester, but it's not on the same scale.

For our population, I think we have remarkably few theme parks in our country.

Guitargirl Sun 07-Jul-13 20:17:12

We went this weekend, DD's school had inset on Friday so we had park tickets for Friday and Saturday and spent Fri and Sat nights in the hotel on site. Doing it this way meant that we left this morning after check out at 10am which is when most people are arriving. We did the same last year and I will always do it this way from now on. The bus leaving Legoland is almost empty during the day as most people wait until the end to leave and the traffic is horrendous then too. When we left this morning the traffic coming off the M4 on the way into Windsor just looked like a nightmare. Nose to tail all the way back to the motorway exit and beyond. I was so glad to be going in the opposite direction.

We have done 5 or 6 visits to Legoland over the last 3 years, some day trips and 2 stays at the hotel since it opened. Once in an adventure room and once in a kingdom room. On this visit though for the first time I caved in and bought q-bots - 'just' the regular ones and probably, reluctantly, I have to say the best 60 quid I have ever spent. No way could I have coped with queueing for hours in 30 degrees with a 6 year old and 4 year old. The q-bots saved my sanity despite thinking it's a ridiculous system.

On Friday we didn't q-bot as I thought we could do the rides with the shorter queues and other non-queuey type stuff and then save the bigger rides for Sat with q-bots.

So, on Friday we did:

Atlantis - no wait
Dino Safari - no wait
Swings - no wait
4D cinema to see Chima
Laser Riders - 10 min wait
Spinning Spider - 10 min wait
Jolly Rocker - 10 min wait
Pirate show - which I was a bit 'meh' about to be honest although it seems popular with others
DCs played in pirate play area and in water play area which I think was better laid out the way it was before
Fairy tale brook - no wait and is lovely now with the upgrade
Driving school - 5 min wait
Fire academy - 5 min wait
Loki's labyrinth
Sky rider - 15 min wait
Longboat invader - 10 min wait
Swim in hotel pool

On Saturday the queues were awful and more and more people just kept surging down that hill. I heard one member of staff say that they had been taken by surprise on the Friday as there were the biggest crowds that day so far for 2013. They kept the park open an hour later than scheduled on both Fri and Sat.

On Saturday we started with another swim in the pool early and had the pool to ourselves for about 15 mins. Then, armed with q-bots we did:

Atlantis again - no queue at all
Squid surfer twice
Jolly Rocker twice
Pirate falls twice
Viking River splash twice
Spinning spider twice
Longboat invader
Dragon's apprentice twice
Wandered around the Star Wars display
Scarab bouncers
Went to Big Shop in the middle of the day -do NOT leave till the end when the park closes
Balloon school

We didn't manage to do the boating school this time as every time we tried the queue was 60 mins+.

We squeezed in another swim in the morning before breakfast and again not busy at all then.

I feel thoroughly Legolanded out now for this year and despite thinking that I would not cope with the heat we did ok with plenty of water/hats/cream. And the water rides definitely helped to cool down. Did get bumped around quite a bit on the viking river splash ride though, DS bumped his head and DD and I both managed somehow to cut our arms.

And one other tip. When we stayed in the hotel last year we had dinner in the hotel restaurant which is pricey. Especially for young children who don't really grasp the idea of all you can eat buffets. This time we ate in the Skyline bar which I hadn't realised before did food and is much better value IMO and not more expensive than any other bog-standard place in London.

Also last year I bought 2 tubs of popcorn for the DCs from Legoland which I have kept in a kitchen cupboard, including lids. This year <tight arse> I dug them out and took home-made popcorn in a big tupperware box which we took in the suitcase and topped up last year's tubs each day.

Good luck everyone! <it does feel a bit military like in the planning of a LL visit>

Pumpkinsquid Sat 13-Jul-13 22:24:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now