The LEGOLAND 2013 Thread Top tips and recommendations

(317 Posts)
NoRoomForMeInMyBed Fri 15-Mar-13 15:31:21

To update from last years great threadlink to the 2012 thread

The park reopens today!!! I cant go until in a few weeks time , so if you have been, please update with this years new attractions and fun!! (Overexcited mummy here....)

AmandinePoulain Mon 12-Aug-13 17:58:47

We had a fantastic day thanks smile. My plans worked out perfectly. We'd done Atlantis, Boating School and Learner Drivers before the park had even opened to the general public smile. I don't think we'd have had such a good day without the QBots though - we managed to fit everything in that we wanted to do, and more. We spent time watching shows, playing or in the maze instead of queuing.

Enjoy to everyone still looking forward to their trips!

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Mon 12-Aug-13 20:26:13

How much earlier do you get in if you stay at the hotel?

I am considering it for next time - is it worth it?

AmandinePoulain Mon 12-Aug-13 21:11:44

30 minutes. They said that only Atlantis and Dino Safari would be open at that time but after Atlantis we went straight to Boating School, and then Learner Drivers and literally just walked onto all of them. The hotel is very expensive and it's certainly a one off treat for us but it is very well done.

GampyWabbit Mon 12-Aug-13 21:46:22

What time should we aim to arrive at LL? Will there be traffic on the route between crowne plaza and LL at 8.30am on a sunday morning & isthis how early we should set off??!

Is it really easy to scoot up to carpark c?

Will we need 3 or 4 Qbots for family of 5 with a 2 year old, bearing in mind 2yo can't go on all the same rides as the older two?

Any more great tips for planning the day with a 2, 6 and 9yo?

rhiannon134 Wed 14-Aug-13 16:41:31

HI, I am sure this has been asked already but I searched the thread and couldn't see...
My Mum got us legoland clubcard vouchers with her points, she told the lady on the phone they were for the grandchildren but when she emailed them to me they say 'to be used by named person only, please bring ID' - I understand this is probably to stop people selling them, but there's no chance of my Mum coming with us... does this mean I can't use them?
Do they ever actually ask for ID on the gate?

Pumpkinsquid Wed 14-Aug-13 22:12:34

Rhiannon, no they dont ask id, if its the new style tickets with a bar code on you just use the stalls and scan yourself through. If its the old style vouchers they will just swap them for tickets at the ticket booths. Again if there are queues for the booths when you arrive look for staff queue combing and they will swap your tickets there and then. Have fun!

2anddone Fri 16-Aug-13 20:38:35

Hi I have been to legoland before but usually there has been 2 adults and 2dc. This year dh no longer lives with us so am considering taking dc on my own. For those of you that have been this summer hols are the queues without Qbot horrendous? Also is legoland do-able with 1 adult and 2dc who are 5 and 8 for riding the rides or are most of the rides 2 person rides? Thanks for your advice x

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Fri 16-Aug-13 21:10:41

From memory - Balloon School, Atlantis, Fire Academy, AeroNomad, Fairytale Brook, Viking River Splash, Carousel, Swing Ride all OK as a three. Not sure about The Dragon, Knight's Quest - depends if older DC can ride in front of you alone. Sky ride and Dino Quest definitely 2 to a car, and Dino Quest wouldn't let my DS1 aged nearly 7 ride alone.

littlejackhorner Fri 16-Aug-13 23:35:31

Hi, DS has been desperate to go to LL for ages, so we have finally succumbed and agreed to take him and 5 friends to LL for his 6th birthday at the start of September. Any tips on best ways to manage a group of hyperactive boys of this age?? Slightly dreading it... :-/

We've booked to go to Legoland next week.

Apologies if this has already been answered. I've read most of the thread but can't seem to find any posts regarding my particular question...

Re the Qbots. Do you pay for a number of people or do you have to name each person using it? DH and I are going with 2 DC. One of whom's 4 and the other is a baby. DH and I were hoping to alternate going on rides with DC1 while the other waits with the baby. We're hoping that a Qbot for 2 people will allow DH and I to alternate, or would we have to pay for a Qbot to be used by 3 people? I'm hoping I won't have to spend the whole 2 days standing with the pram confused

MinimalistMommi Sun 18-Aug-13 09:15:09

pumpkin wrote this upthread

*Widgeon, the qbots work on number of riders not age. So depending how many people are riding and if you want to ride as a family you can choose how many qbots to buy.
If you are Mum Dad and 2 y old and 5 y old, you can all go on quite a few rides, the worst queues are
Boating school, atlantis, and orient express,also balloon school, lazer riders ( not sure if you can qbot this ride this year but you can take little ones on it) fairy tale brook, carousel and swings at pharaoes square. So if these are rides you all want to do you need 4 qbots. If you want to take turns you can get away with just 2 q bots but you will need to queue twice (60 mins on boating school) so its doable but you will be wasting time.
Saying that you can easily entertain a 2 year old whilst the 5 year old rides rides but then you will have to split up all the time so it depends on what you want. Theres a list further down this thread with toddler things to do at LL. Have fun!*

So even with a qbot you have a wait for 60 mins for a ride? I'm confused!

MinimalistMommi Sun 18-Aug-13 09:20:49

We're a family of four on a budget, would two QBots work OK?

Pumpkinsquid Sun 18-Aug-13 13:24:37

minimalist thats how qbots work, they allow you to queue virtually instead of standing in the actual queue. So the queue times are updated to reflect the actual que length. You will see the queue length on your qbot handset so you can choose what to do, most queues will be less than 30 mins, and as you book ride 2 as soon as you have been accepted on Ride 1, by the time you are done on ride 1, gathered up your stuff, read your map and walked to ride 2, its time to get on.
Choose the rides with 60 mins wait wisely, ie time them for the pirate show or 4d cinema so you are virtually queing whilst you are enjoying another activity.

If you want instant access to rides you need the advanced qbot at £70 per person. The normal qbot is £15 per person.

Pumpkinsquid Sun 18-Aug-13 13:30:01

If you all want to ride as a family together you need 4 qbots (over 3's only, under 3's can ride too but you dont need to pay for the qbot for them.)
Mum dad child child=4 qbots
Mum dad child and baby = 3 qbots
Mum dad child and baby with only 2 qbots is doable too if the adults take turns taking child on rides. But for just £15 extra you can all ride together, is it really worth the £15 pound saving?

Otherwise just skip the qbots anf join the queue, thats doable too!smile

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 18-Aug-13 16:57:45

When we went it was the busiest day of the year - even with QBots some of the wait times were an hour (we had the mid range ones). At least we could do something in that hour - some poor sods stood in queues for two hours for a ten minute ride!

MinimalistMommi Sun 18-Aug-13 17:34:29

Wondering if we could make do with two QBots, and the kids take turn to go on a ride with an adult, I know they would get less rides this way though. We just can't afford £15 times 4 people.

Maybe we shouldn't bother at all with them and accept that we will barely go on anything...

MinimalistMommi Sun 18-Aug-13 18:16:15

Also, I read on here that water bottles will be filled if you ask at the cafe/kiosks . Is this true? Has anyone done that?

AmandinePoulain Sun 18-Aug-13 19:22:55

Dd2's sippy cup got filled at the fajita stall, but we were buying food and she's only 1, I'm not sure if that made a difference.

I started out only booking 2 QBots to share between the 3 of us eligible for them but ended up booking another because I wanted us all to ride together whenever dd2 was able to ride too. That way we did Orient Express, Atlantis, Aero Nomad, the carousel and Fairytale Brook altogether - and dd2 loved Atlantis and Fairytale Brook - she would have missed out otherwise or we would have all had to queue which would have felt like a waste of the QBots.

AmandinePoulain Sun 18-Aug-13 19:23:59

And regarding drinks we bought one of those bottomless cups for £7.50 and shared it between us so we got our money's worth grin

Wigeon Sun 18-Aug-13 22:11:38

scarlet - the Qbots aren't for a named person, so in your situation you could definitely get 2 Qbots and alternate with your DH.

Minimalist - there is actually quite a bit you can do without queuing - how old are your DC? I think it would work to get 2 Qbots and take turns. The rides themselves are only 5 - 10 mins, so while the two people were on the ride the other two people would easily be happy amusing themselves at something nearby which you don't queue for (eg Miniland, stuff in Duploland, Pirates Training camp - basically a massive adventure playground etc etc). I think it would be a nightmare without Qbots though - I couldn't believe that people were queuing for 30 mins plus with small children! I don't think mine (aged 5 and 2) could have managed it.

Re drinks - there are free water fountains near most of the loos so you can fill up your own water bottles for free easily. We bought a picnic and drank free water all day.

Thanks Widgeon.

We're back now and I'm so glad we pre booked the QBot. They'd completely sold out of them by the time we collected ours at 10.30am. In all honesty it wouldn't have been worth the bother and expense of going without one. All of the rides were 90 plus minute queues. Nightmare. DC loved it though smile

GampyWabbit Sat 24-Aug-13 09:44:39

Scarlet How many Qbots did you get in the end. We have 3 dc aged 2, 6, 9 so think we will have to get 4 Qbots - what do you think? The 2yr old is about 90cm, so I hope will be able to go.on more things.

We go next weekend, so any new advice would be great!

TSSDNCOP Sat 24-Aug-13 13:11:04

I knew I could rely on MN! We are going on Friday, now with 3 Regular Qbots.

V excited smile

Gampy your 2 year old wont need a QBot and they will be able to go on rides with the Qbot users if they meet the height restriction for the ride. 4 Qbots will mean you can all ride together.

We got 2 Qbots and DH and I alternated who went on with DC1. Things that the baby was able to go on eg Atlantis either me or DH gave it a miss and waited with bags and buggy while the other rode with both DC. If our DC2 had been another year older we'd probably have got 3 Qbots so we could go on more together, it wasn't worth it for us this time as she's still so small and was happy enough in the pushchair.

Have fun!

GampyWabbit Sat 24-Aug-13 23:47:19

Thanks! 2yr old measures around 90cm (will double check tomorrow) - I assume the measurement will be with shoes on, in which case she should make it.

We are planning to book the Qbots (is this necessary?), but if they say dd is under 90cm we probably wouldn't need 4, so should we just wait,and sort it on the day??
Also, would dd and ds (9 & 6) go on some things on their own?

Can anyone make a suggestion of order to do things with a 2, 6 and 9 yo and any tips would be brill.

* Finally, we have booked hotel for night before at Heathrow Crowne Plaza. The hotel has a pool that we plan to enjoy! The room for 2 adults and 3 children (they accomodate larger families and bring in extra beds) including breakfast for 5 is costing £100. Will report back on what it's like. Does anyone know how easy it is to travel from this hotel to LL?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now