Anyone familiar with London Bridge area/places to eat with kids

(21 Posts)
Blu Thu 14-Mar-13 18:47:54

There is a Strada at More London, overlooking the river, diagonally behind the Unicorn.

Also Tas on Borough High St here is nice, and being Turkish very friendly to children, if you think the menu would suit? They do a few pasta dishes, grills etc as well as the full Turkish range of dishes.

The Unicorn cafe is quite minimal and snack orientated.

BoringTheBuilder Fri 08-Mar-13 23:32:31

I've been to Tate Modern Cafe it was packed and full of adults. And not worth going to Tate Modern and not staying for more walking around tbh. My daughter walks everywhere anywhere and I ditched the push chair when she was 2. Sadly her friends aren't used to walking and God forbid if it is raining/cold/snowing/too sunny/too hot/windy. The whole thing is to celebrate my daughter's Birthday so I think pizza will fit perfectly. But as I said I will take few cartoons of juice because I refuse to pay more than £2 for a kid's glass of juice. Don't care if I will look chav or tigharsed. If the waiter complain I will say it is a dietary need...

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 08-Mar-13 23:16:58

These are suburban children Charlotte, they can only walk for five minutes before being picked up in a car grin.

TBF I'd have qualms about walking hungry urban children from the Unicorn to Tate Modern too.

Southwark Cathedral cafe is a good emergency fallback - I don't rate the food, but it has space and seats and loos.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 08-Mar-13 23:02:37

it's not far to Tate Modern - you could try the cafe there?

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 08-Mar-13 22:55:37

I think that the EAT and Pret both have some room to sit as long as you're not going during the lunchtime rush. There used to be a bagel place near M&S but can't remember if it has seats.

Maebe Fri 08-Mar-13 22:04:40

Despite walking past where I think it is every day, I can't picture whether there is a Bagel Factory or not! There's an M&S, EAT, Pret, and a few others two seconds from the Unicorn on More London, but I don't think they have places to sit for a group of kids.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Mar-13 21:51:08

There used to be a bagel factory too in the station but dunno if its still there

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 08-Mar-13 21:36:45

Pret a Manger opposite the station entrance will sort you out, my DCs love Pret food and it will feed you instantly and reasonably healthily.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 08-Mar-13 21:33:23

Cafe I'm trying to remember what's in Hayes Galleria - there is defo Cafe Rouge as Olivia says, a Starbucks, Balls Brothers grrrrr my memory

BoringTheBuilder Fri 08-Mar-13 21:32:56

I'm taking my own cartoon juice to PE
Why they don't include drinks in the kids set menu?

BoringTheBuilder Fri 08-Mar-13 21:27:02

Love Wagas and Nandos but after the activities I think the kids will be starving and tired I need to seat them down and put food into them quickly to avoid whingeing
Some of them are so used to mommy's n daddy's car that any walking distance is a marathon
At least getting into the tube will be part of a exciting adventure...yaw

Sharpkat Fri 08-Mar-13 21:23:29

The Pizza Express at Butler's Wharf is much nicer than the one at London Bridge, but with kids that one might be better. There is also a Pizza Express next to the Globe Theatre which has 2 levels.

BoringTheBuilder Fri 08-Mar-13 21:21:11

The play is at 13:45 but we need to be there at least by 13:25 as seats are not marked and obviously I want to get the best ones. Than we will stay there for an activity starting at 14:45 and I don't know what time it will finish
Sounds like Pizza Express will be my best bet.

PrincessOfChina Fri 08-Mar-13 21:18:28

We had this problem last year when looking for somewhere to eat with a 1 year old. As well as PE, I think there's a Waga's and a Nando's down by the river by Borough Market.

BoringTheBuilder Fri 08-Mar-13 21:15:28

Thanks
Yes there's a cafe in the theatre but do they sell food or just cake?
I think I will go for a walk about before the actual day so I can get a better picture
Oh and I swore I would never go to Carlucios again...

Maebe Fri 08-Mar-13 21:12:41

There are two Pizza Expresses, one by London Bridge itself and one at Butler's Wharf just past Tower Bridge. There's barely anything to chose between the two distance wise from the Unicorn.

What time of the day will it be? I actually work three offices away from the Unicorn and it's not as touristy around there as you might think, most places cater for all the offices. Especially now the Dungeon has closed. Tourists seem to come, take photos of the Bridge, and then go somewhere else! But PE is very child friendly. The Cafe Rouge is a bit small and cramped.

Gigondas Fri 08-Mar-13 21:11:00

More London has a strada but I am fairly sure there is a cafe in the theatre. I think there is a pizza express in shad Thames.

If you are going when it is ok weather, I would sit outside with the Kids in area by the council building where there are benches and water fountains you can play in.

Sharpkat Fri 08-Mar-13 21:06:38

There are all the usual Italian chains up at Shad Thames. Apart from there I cannot think of anywhere else. There is a Giraffe down near the Royal festival Hall.

Sandwiches sitting in the Scoop if it is not freezing.

Am struggling with this one and have lived in the area for 11 years...

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Mar-13 21:03:33

There is a cafe rouge in Hays Galleria?
Usual HQ disclaimers apply
Extra Disclaimer: I haven't been there since before they started the Shard.
#tiredoflondontiredoflife

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 08-Mar-13 20:58:40

I'm sure there is a childrens cafe in the actual theatre? Used to work out of offices in Tooley St.

BoringTheBuilder Fri 08-Mar-13 20:56:06

I'm going to take a group of 5 to 7 year old kids to the Unicorn Theatre in London Bridge and now I need recommendations for a super child friendly place to eat, with a no fussy menu and some activity pack if possible.
Walking distance from London Bridge station /Unicorn Theatre a must.
Don't say McDonald or similar please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now