Things to do in Shrewsbury / Telford fr mum travelling on the train with two tinies

(6 Posts)
LaTrucha Sat 09-Feb-13 06:51:28

Sounds like I could make a day of it in the summer. Still undecided what to do and half term is upon us!

botandhothered Fri 08-Feb-13 18:52:58

Shrewsbury is lovely, much nicer than Telford. However there is only the castle within walking distance of the train station, and it really only takes an hour to look around.
There is the very pretty quarry park a bit further away. Probably a 15/20 min walk with a 5 yr old. It is next to the river with small play area and outdoor paddling pool if you are going in the summer. The swimming baths are right next to it. Also there are short river boat trips from the same place. Plenty of B and Bs in the centre, but alot above pubs.

LaTrucha Fri 08-Feb-13 16:42:02

Thanks very much. Very useful. It's nice to know it's there and nice.

botandhothered Fri 08-Feb-13 14:41:23

Check opening though as not sure if it's open in the winter. Also it's mainly outside so bit grim if it's raining!

botandhothered Fri 08-Feb-13 14:40:05

Wonderland is lovely, but is a long walk from the train station. I would recommend a taxi. It is a 15 min walk from the Town park and the ice rink.

LaTrucha Fri 08-Feb-13 14:07:18

I am thinking of taking my children, age 2 and just 5, to the Sealife Centre in Birmingham. It's at the end of a three-hour train journey, however, so I was wondering if we could break the journey, maybe staying overnight in Shrewsbury or Telford on the way... that is if there is something nice for them to do.

In order not to be an ordeal, any activity would need to be easily reachable and nea somewhere to stay. I've been trying to work things out online but I find it very difficult to judge, so I thought I'd see if anyone knew the area.

I've been looking at Wonderland in Telford, but they don't have many photos, so it's difficult to see if it is any good. Neither do they say how far it is from the train station.

We would be travelling from Aberystwyth on the train.
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now