NYC

(8 Posts)
nannynicnic Thu 10-Jan-13 10:01:35

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this but I will try. I am a nanny and am off to NYC for 3 weeks in feb with a 3 & 4 year old. We will be staying in Manhattan. I would like to know if anyone has been before with children and if they have where are the best places to take them too.. Also, where are the bets places for me to go when I have time to myself?

Thanks x

dinkystinky Thu 10-Jan-13 10:07:25

We were in New York with DS1 and DS2 when they were 6 and 3 and we loved:

- ToysRus at Time Square - big ferris wheel you can go on in the store
- there is a battleship which is a museum down at the harbour which was fantastic - cant remember the name of it off the top of my head but we all loved it - you can even go down to a submarine there too
- Central Park - but might be a bit cold in Feb.

For you, when on your own, check out MOMA and the Metropolitan museum - they are brilliant. And of course shopping - I like Greenwich village.

Oodhousekeeping Thu 10-Jan-13 11:29:49

FAO Schwartz( giant piano a la Big) American girl shop ( if either are dolly children ), natural history museum, central park for play areas , central park zoo.

nannynicnic Thu 10-Jan-13 16:02:30

Luckily the girls are used to playing outside in the freezing temperatures it is now so we'll be fine in central park! I know it's huge though.. I have a fear of getting lost!

I'm scared in general about getting lost with them. Their dad is coming with us, but it is a business trip so he has lots to do.. though we are staying in an apartment for 3 weeks so at least our 'home base' will stay the same.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any more suggestions are very welcome.

Oodhousekeeping Thu 10-Jan-13 16:55:02

It's very easy to get around. Get a map. Big park in central park right by the road do you don't have to venture too far in.

dinkystinky Thu 10-Jan-13 20:11:30

The polar bear in the zoo will be in his element. Ds1 liked going to the top of the Rockefeller centre. Statten island Ferry also fun.

PoppyWearer Thu 10-Jan-13 20:15:44

Make sure you watch "Madagascar" in readiness for Central Park Zoo.

Snow is quite possible, so pack for that!

I remember seeing little outdoor playgrounds dotted around, but couldn't tell you where they are, sorry.

nannynicnic Thu 10-Jan-13 22:39:02

Fab. Thanks People. I'm prepared for snow here so will be more than prepared for snow there!! It would be ok if i only had a couple of weeks to fill, but i have 3! At least i have a couple of weeks left to plan and figure things out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now