DS january birthday - what shall we do?

(9 Posts)
jobnockey Fri 04-Jan-13 15:21:35

DS wants to go 'to the zoo' for his 4th birthday. We've been to London Zoo a few times (live in London) so would be good to do something different. I imagine the weather will be rubbish, so we'll need either a plan B or somewhere with inside facilities too...
We were thinking Longleat as MIL lives near there but its closed this time of year. I'm now thinking whipsnade or woburn but would be interested to hear any other suggestions or thoughts..
Ta!

Whipsnade was my first thought. Legoland/drayton manor/chessington would have been good but they are all closed.
Birmingham sealife centre is a good back up if its raining.
We went to the zoo on Tues. It was cold but we wrapped up, picniced in the resturant on the sly, ate ice cream, and had an awesome day!

jobnockey Fri 04-Jan-13 15:35:38

Thanks! Is there indoor stuff at whipsnade then? just in case?! (i know i could look on the website but this is easier!)

Pancakeflipper Fri 04-Jan-13 15:38:40

Got any indoor snow centres and can go sledging for a treat?

Marwell is lovely and also open. There are indoor bits but lots of walking in between so I wouldn't go in the pouring rain. I think Whipsnade is the same.

How about the Natural History Museum as backup?

jobnockey Mon 07-Jan-13 10:27:09

Thanks for ideas - love the idea of a sledging session, great idea! unfortunately i just checked our nearest and they don't do sledging dec - mar??? no idea why!

Love marwell -used to go there as a child but haven't been for ages. Might plan atrip there at some point this year as its close to where my dad lives so he can pay for us come with us

I think we're going to have 2 plans whipsnade if its not raining and London aquarium if it is. (hope its not raining as aquarium is hideously overpriced and probably crowded but DS will like it!)

Is Legoland closed in January?? Was planning a visit.

jobnockey Wed 09-Jan-13 10:06:52

LaBelle - yes I think it reopens in march...

SkiBumMum Wed 09-Jan-13 10:18:47

Whipsnade has Hullabazoo - a new indoor animal themed soft play. It is really cold up there in the winter as exposed but we wrap up and love it still.

NHM or downstairs in science museum?

I'm pretty sure Hemel Snow Centre does sledding/tubing at the mo'. It's a lot of fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now