Is Saltaire worth a day out to?

(7 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sat 24-Nov-12 13:28:25

Would like to go to Salts Mill to see the David Hockney paintings. But its about 2 hours away.

Is there anough other stuff to see to make it worth while? Is it a full day out or if not is there anything else nearby which is good to see?

Bunbaker Sun 25-Nov-12 23:14:43

I used to live near there and have been several times. The mill has one floor of Hockney paintings. The rest of the mill houses several retail outlets and an excellent diner. The village is worth a look round as well. If you don't manage to fill your day I would drive up to Shipley Glen and over Ilkley Moor and enjoy the scenery.

givemeaclue Mon 26-Nov-12 13:55:10

Yes well worth it, see the whole village too

Beanbagz Mon 26-Nov-12 13:59:47

Easily fill a day. You can do Salts Mill and walk up the Victorian Tramway to Shipley Glen.

If you have any spare time there's both the Media Museum & Impressions Gallery (plus some excellent curry restaurants) in Bradford or Ilkley Moor and a branch of Bettys.

celebmum Mon 26-Nov-12 14:24:17

Ooh it's lovely at salts mill you could easily spend a few hours there. And your only a stones throw away from haworth where there's lots to do, Main Street/bronte parsonage museum etc or bingley with its lovely stores/cafe and 5rise locks and east riddlesden hall.. Lots to do in the area! grin

LulaPalooza Mon 26-Nov-12 14:25:10

What everyone else said. I love Saltaire, could easily spend an entire day there.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 26-Nov-12 14:46:04

Betty's! grin

Didn't realise there was one near there. Thanks for all the replies, sounds like there's enough for a weekend, never mind a day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now