Ross on wye..things to do, places today!

(7 Posts)
Ilovecake1 Sat 24-Nov-12 08:58:21

We are spending a day here at the start of next month and hoping someone will have suggestions of where we could eat and things to do with 2 LO?

Ilovecake1 Sat 24-Nov-12 08:59:21

Sorry...places to eat, not places today! blush

It's been a while since I was there but there's a nice pub right on the river, at the bottom of the hill called the Hope and Anchor that does nice food and you get to watch all the mad canoeists and ducks go by.

Also if you go uphill past the church there is a little golf putting green thing that is fun. And just near there, right at the top of the hill is another pub, whose name escapes me, that used to do the best scrumpy ever.

MrsHowardRoark Sat 24-Nov-12 09:26:12

If you are willing to drive a little way then I can't recommend Puzzle Wood highly enough. It's just outside Coleford.

It is a beautiful forest and old iron mine that is a natural maze. It is fantastic and with wellies and waterproofs fun in any weather. There is also a play barn and a cafe.

I grew up in the Forest of Dean and the landscape is so beautiful it's really worth getting out in it.

WhereMyMilk Sat 24-Nov-12 09:31:01

Puzzle wood lovely. There's also a small steam train near there.

In Ross itself there's the maze and the butterfly farm (Merlin filmed there)

Clearwater caves are great too (Merlin filmed there too,!)

jojane Sat 24-Nov-12 09:42:14

Clear well caves (will hae santas grotto there now as well), puzzle wood, the steam train but will be father Xmas time so will har to book in advance as they do Santa train ad father Xmas coming down the chimney etc,

Ilovecake1 Tue 27-Nov-12 16:22:45

Hi all, thank you for your replies. Been looking at clear well caves and the reviews for Christmas time is brill, will deff be going there! I am also hoping to go to the butterfly farm. Does anyone know if there is a pottery cafe for children to do their own pottery etc local to Ross on Wye?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now