Places to eat near Leicester Square

(22 Posts)
Frontpaw Fri 16-Nov-12 17:26:35

Off to see Ho-rile-HisItoIreeeees next week (The Garick). Does anyone know of an inexpensive child friendly eaterie nearby for a quick bite after the matinee?

Yes, I am a Londoner, which is precisely why I don't eat in Leicester Square!

MrsHoarder Fri 16-Nov-12 17:30:59

I don't eat in Leicester square either, not when China town is right behind it.

nancy75 Fri 16-Nov-12 17:31:59

Byron the burger place? I'm a Londoner which is why I don't know anywhere there either! Pizza express by charing x?
By the way we saw horrible histories in the summer, it was brilliant.

donburi Fri 16-Nov-12 17:32:17

somewhere along wardour street just round the corner - satsuma (japanese) or one of the many Italians

Frontpaw Fri 16-Nov-12 17:34:11

Is there a wagamama or p'express nearby? It'll need to be quick 'n (not) dirty! Or even a fancy cafe...

nancy75 Fri 16-Nov-12 17:37:45

Pizza express is directly opposite charing cross station, so no more than 5 minute walk

bruffin Fri 16-Nov-12 17:39:52

There's lots of chains in the square. There are 2 Bella Italians,a Garfunkels, Chiquitas, weatherspoons, plus a lot more. Don't think there is a Watanabe, but may be pizza express.

Blu Fri 16-Nov-12 17:42:36

Carluccios in Cvt Garden - great child menu

The Lorelei pizza place here

One of the cafes in chinatown where you can just order 'duck and rice' or 'pork and noodles' from the BBQ section of the menu

Himalaya Fri 16-Nov-12 17:44:56

China Town or Maoz Falafel on Old Compton St, or Gourmet Burger Kitchen on Frith St.

PseudoBadger Sat 17-Nov-12 08:05:59

There is a wagamamas on Irving Street (just off the square).

post Sat 17-Nov-12 08:17:27

We go to the wagamama and it's always full of kids and very easy.

Frontpaw Sat 17-Nov-12 08:34:25

Lots of lovely ideas! Better than pizza-by-the-slice from a cart! Why don't we have nice gourmet food trucks like we see on US telly?

PseudoBadger Sat 17-Nov-12 09:02:59

We do! Westminster has several great street markets (Rupert Street near to L Sq for example) but might not be anything there during the hours you want.

bruffin Sat 17-Nov-12 09:25:40

There is also a street food market behind the london eye sometimes, and also at camden but that is too far away.

bruffin Sat 17-Nov-12 09:27:23
CaptainBarnaclesDaddyman Sat 17-Nov-12 09:29:20

Gaby's deli on Charing cross road is awesome, but no "kiddie food" all Mediterranean.

DilysPrice Sat 17-Nov-12 09:41:39

I'd probably go to the big Pret a Manger just by Leicester Square tube - my DC's see Pret as a huge treat, especially if I let then have the chocolate mousse, and it's quick, clean and good value.

If you have more time then noodles in Chinatown are an obvious choice or Belgo at Seven Dials has a good kids' menu.

Frontpaw Sat 17-Nov-12 10:03:41

My closest street market is Portobello (fab olive stall but the food doesn't do it for me, especially since I saw one stall setting up for the day!).

I thought southbank was just a christmassy thing? Or the one down the back of SOHO - so probably not the best place to take DS. 'Whats that man doing? Whats that lady doing? Whats the lady doing to that man? Whats that thing?'

DilysPrice Sat 17-Nov-12 10:13:04

South Bank street food market (back of RFH) is open every weekend now I think. Kings Cross market is also good, I think that's every day now.

PseudoBadger Sat 17-Nov-12 10:26:18

Lol people aren't just shagging in the street!

noisytoys Sat 17-Nov-12 10:29:53

TGI's grin

AnuC Tue 20-Nov-12 11:04:54

BTW you should check out the Haystacks app for iPhone. It has kids friendly restaurants and other stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now