Day out at the coast with easy train access

(5 Posts)
Hersetta Fri 16-Nov-12 09:55:44

Freind of mine at work wants a day out at the coast tomorrow to give his boys a day in the fresh air and wants somewhere with good train links from London where the train station is near the seafront (therefore Brighton has been dismissed). Any ideas for Essex, kent coast etc?

ClareMarriott Fri 16-Nov-12 11:32:29

Margate train station is the nearest I know of nearest a seafront but I would recommend Whitstable. Take the Victoria to Ramsgate train takes about 1 and a half hours.

nannyl Fri 25-Jan-13 18:24:25

Portsmouth harbour station is located at gunwharf quays, close to the see, but the main sea front is walkable

Charmingbaker Fri 25-Jan-13 18:28:14

Whitstable is lovely or head to Essex, get the train to Chalkwell (2 stops before Southend) and you can walk all the way to Southend along the seafront.

LillianGish Fri 25-Jan-13 18:28:53

Another vote for Portsmouth Harbour. I think the naval dockyard (right by the station) is one of the best days out going with kids. You can also go up the Spinnaker Tower and there are lots of great places to eat - all a stones throw from the station.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now