What to do in Bristol in October half term

(14 Posts)
Uppermid Mon 22-Oct-12 21:03:03

We're of to the in laws for a few days at October half term. I love them dearly, but they don't do much and I refuse to sit around for 4 days watching crap tv!

So what can we do? We've done the zoo several times but am looking for some inspiration as dh is being useless!

gnoomi Mon 22-Oct-12 21:07:03

You could try the harbour side - there is the SS Great Britain, lots of cafes, M-shed the new Bristol museum and the Arnolfini art gallery. There is also Explore, (science museum) and aquarium nearby.

LeChatRouge Mon 22-Oct-12 21:13:59

Have a look on here for some ideas.

Uppermid Mon 22-Oct-12 21:17:38

Thank you. Have looked on the visit Bristol site was just looking for some recommendations. Was thinking of wookey hole but reviews on here not so great!

Should mention dd's are 8 and 6.

Thanks

oldsilver Honduras Mon 22-Oct-12 21:20:07

@ Bristol is good, if you want a trip out to the countryside Westonbirt Arboretum is well worth it on a non soggy day (actually a bit very special this time of year smile )

Go up the Cabot Tower (free) and see how far you can see around Bristol, then share your picnic in the park below with the squirrels smile

Wookey Hole is really tacky, only been once (pre-kids would you believe) and the blurb leads me to believe they've added much more tat since then.

I would vote for harbourside too, as there are plenty of different attractions within walking distance. Great Britain is really well done and riding about on the ferry boats is good fun.

My two (3 & 6) are desparate to go to the Aquarium.

Inneedofbrandy Mon 22-Oct-12 21:29:22

Wooky hole is great, or was the few years ago I was there. If your going there anyway you could pop into Wells cathedral or up to Glastonbury to the torr and abby (King arthur app buried there)

YY To Westonbirt, the dc will love all the dens and climbing things they have on the main trail. (quite a decent coffee and bacon sarnie if expensive)

Park street has quirky shops/cafes as well as Museum and Art gallery.

@Bristol is boring IMO and expensive.

Just walking around the harbour is great! They have a couple old boats you can go on, plus a ferry boat for a round trip.

Around the harbour area they have a pirate walk all about black beard and a man called pirate Pete takes you on a tour.

There's a massive park with a castle and a museum and nature walk but I can't remember name, is mentioned in Jane Austin though!

If you could get to Bath for the day you could see the Roman Baths? Also Bath has a better swimming pool with slides and flumes.

HTH

Inneedofbrandy Mon 22-Oct-12 21:30:07

Oh yy to cabot tower, it's right by the suspension bridge which is pretty cool to walk across!

BillyBollyBandy Mon 22-Oct-12 21:31:32

I liked Wooky Hole blush

Cheddar Gorge?

VBisme Mon 22-Oct-12 21:36:30

@Bristol is great for kids, very interactive and there is also a planetarium.

Just across the square is the aquarium, which is also good (they have an octopus which crawls out at night and has fun in the other tanks.

BobblyGussets Mon 22-Oct-12 21:36:56

Also, if you don't mind a drive and if you have any "mining stock" in your ancestry, Blaenorfan Nation Coal Mining museum is excellent. You get to go 125 metre under ground with a real coal miner who will tell your kids all about the kids who used to work down there.

I like the city Museum and art gallery and them Wagamama is across the road for noodles.

I second Cabot tower.

You could walk across the Clifton Suspension bridge and pop into the wee visitors' centre there and the park with the slide made from rock smoothed by bottoms through the ages (wear jean though). I don't reccommend the ice cream from the van there with the man with the bad teeth. It's all foisty and crystalised, as if it has been allowed to thaw and then re-frozen.

There is also Blaise Castle and Park and the Skate Park at Henleaze if you have any skaters/Bmx bandits. Have a nice time. I am looking forward to half term in Brizzle.

BobblyGussets Mon 22-Oct-12 21:38:30

There is also Red Lodge, at Tudor house museum near Trenchard street car park and Georgian house museum, which are good for an hour.

Uppermid Mon 22-Oct-12 22:22:44

This is fab, thanks guys

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 22-Oct-12 23:35:57

May be a week early for Westenbirt to be at is best, but I have some lovely pictures of my DDs there in autumn.

6 is probably just too young to appreciate the SS great Britain. I can't remember if DD2 was 7 or 8 (she's broken her arm twice)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now