Fermyn Woods or Barwell?

(9 Posts)
Sceitimini Thu 18-Oct-12 12:05:26

I'm visiting Lyveden New Bield at the end of the month, and want to go somewhere afterwards for the children (8-11 years) to let off steam. Which of these country parks has the best play area and walks for older children?

Sceitimini Thu 18-Oct-12 12:09:01

Oops... I meant Barnwell smile

DameMargotFountain Thu 18-Oct-12 12:11:50

for me, it would depend on whether you want to buy a coffee/food afterwards

the cafe at Barnwell closed recently and although there is a machine etc, the cafe at Fermyn (I take it you mean the park on the other side of the road near Brigstock?) is staffed

we love both parks/woods

DameMargotFountain Thu 18-Oct-12 12:14:10

blush there's me, always thinking of cake grin

both are brilliant, Barnwell's adventure playground is bigger and probably more suited to older DCs, but Fermyn's woodlands are more adventurous.

Sceitimini Thu 18-Oct-12 12:59:15

Thanks for your replies. I live in Ireland, and of course we have beautiful countryside, but when I'm over visiting family I'm amazed by the amount and variety of activities available for children in the UK. I'll be visiting Swanick Lakes too - it looks fantastic.

DameMargotFountain Thu 18-Oct-12 13:03:00

Northants doesn't have much going for it when it comes to entertainment but country parks and woodlands we excel at!

Stanwick Lakes is brilliant, but very VERY messy grin

Sceitimini Thu 18-Oct-12 14:05:32

Thanks. I'll pack spare clothes and wellies!

Sceitimini Thu 18-Oct-12 14:13:18

By the way, how are the cakes wink in the cafe at Stanwick Lakes? Is it a good spot for lunch?

DameMargotFountain Thu 18-Oct-12 14:35:34

never had cakes there, (that's a Fermyn treat), i don't think the catering is great tbh, no home-made cakes

it's a better picnic spot really

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now