Day trip to France by ferry.

(5 Posts)
catnipkitty Fri 28-Sep-12 09:23:09

Hi
We're thinking of taking advantage of a cheap ferry deal for a day in France but don't want to go there just to shop for wine and cheese! Any suggestions about where to head for and if there's any good things to do?
Thank you
ps we're a family with kids aged 7 and 8

C x

Nigglenaggle Fri 28-Sep-12 20:18:52

When we were in the first year of secondary school we did a class day trip to Boulogne - I remember there was a fairly decent beach. I think the main plus was it was quick to get to and nicer than Calais so not a dazzling recommendation but we had a great time smile More exciting for being for the day

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 09-Oct-12 20:15:54

Whizz down to Le Toquet (spelling dodgy today) French Brighton the creperie opposite Le chat blue is fab. Lovely 1930s seafront, great carousel, fab shops.

crazymum53 Wed 10-Oct-12 16:53:15

There is a very good aquarium at Boulogne on the sea-front which would be suitable for your dcs.

Blu Tue 13-Nov-12 12:50:05

Have you been yet?

Explore the Cote d'Opale between Calais and Boulogne: small seaside places lioke Wissant or Audreselles, with the Cap di Griz nez, and important place in WW2, great view from the top of the cliffs.

Wimereaux, a small resort with a lovely Belle Epoch esplanade and beach

Boulogne - a fabulous Aquarium, Nausicca, and also up into the old town, you can walk round the old town on top of the battlements, then down into the tiown market place where there are some good shops and may be a market.

It is very fast and easy off the ferry and onto the motorway and down to Boulogne.

Stop at Cite d'Europe by the Calais Eurotunnel terminal if you want the full Carrefour shopping centre booze cruise experience! However last time I went we went down to boulogne for lunch and shopping in the old town and then just stopped in a Carrefour on our way out of Boulogne to stock up on wine and cheese and the occasional thing that is cheaper in France than here.

You have to pay on the toll to go to le touquet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now