In search of penguins

(9 Posts)
twentyten Tue 04-Sep-12 17:08:12

Hi.DD want to see some penguins for GCSE art(!)Any one any views on best place to visit in the midlands?
Chester Zoo?
West midlands safari?
Twycross?

Thanks for your help!

alfiethetortoise Tue 04-Sep-12 18:16:09

There are penguins (off the top of my head) at:

Chester, London, Edinburgh, Bristol, Blackpool, south Lakes Wild animal park, Dudley, Twycross.

Penguin Beach at London zoo is supposed to be really good if you can make it. I wasn't impressed the the penguin enclosure at twycross you'd be better going to Chester. Edinburgh has the best selection - Kings, Gentoos and Rockhoppers.

You can see the penguin cam at chester here : www.chesterzoo.org/must-sees/web-cams/penguin-webcam

YouOldSlag Tue 04-Sep-12 18:18:55

There is a place in the Cotswolds called Bird land that has King Penguins and you can stand so close to them you can almost touch them. I have never been so close to penguins before and the king penguins are quite large.

You could make a weekend of it and go to the nearby Cotswold Wildlife park which also has penguins.

But Birdland blew me away. You can see them so close as there is just a low-ish wall between you and them

CMOTDibbler Tue 04-Sep-12 18:20:51

West Midlands, Cotswold wildlife park and Birdland are all good places to go - Birdland prob best for drawing though

twentyten Tue 04-Sep-12 19:10:29

Thank you all for your replies! hadn't thought of birdland.smile

twentyten Sat 08-Sep-12 17:09:46

On our way back from a great day at bird land- penguins were amazing. Thank you so much for the suggestions!smilesmilesmile dd though it awesome. Power ofmumsmet!

YouOldSlag Sat 08-Sep-12 18:28:41

Oh that's great! so glad you enjoyed it!

wishiwasonholiday Sat 08-Sep-12 18:32:02

Not midlands but just in case anyone else is looking flamingo land have built a new penguin bit.

twentyten Sat 08-Sep-12 19:27:24

It was awesome!The edinburg king penguins were there on loan cos of rebuilding too.... A great day-Thanks YOS and CMOT for the info!
NOW on to GCSE coursework....ahem...her not me!!wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now