THE LEGOLAND 2012 thread, top tips and recommendations

(53 Posts)
MummyPigandDaddyPig Sun 18-Mar-12 15:39:09

Have started a new thread to keep all things Legoland easy to find, as the season just started! Please feel free to add tips and hints for both newcomers and seasoned fans! We just went at the opening weekend and were pleasantly surprised that Legoland has had a good scrub over the winter and everything looked really nice clean and tidy, esp Fairy tale brook that has been slightly scruffy round the edges for years!

It was really lovely to see all the regular pirate show stuntmen back on form, they are tru champs braving the icy water and still making time to chat and high five all the children after the show whilst shivering in their wetsuits! Hats off to them!!!!

So here are my top tips!

Try to park in the carpark furthest away ( the carpark attendants will try to direct you but if you can escape the herding go down to the shingle carpark C and up to the top nearest the entrance and you will get a prime spot if you are early)

Prebook your tickets, and if you have tesco vouchers there is usually a staffmember queue combing, just grab them and they will take your vouchers there and then and swap them for tickets! Queing done!

Walk down dont take the hill train. Saves time queing and the walk is nice. The slides are fun going down the stairs too!

Kids under 90 cm can only do about 6-7 of the rides as they are strict on height. Look on the map and choose what you want! The Duplo land is great and little kids will love the duplo train! Fairy tale brook, the orient train and balloon school will be great for little ones too. When they are over 90cm Dino safari will be a firm favourite!

The Atlantis is always very busy so head there first to miss the queues. The worst queue seems to be the boating school, but there is lego to entertain the little ones. Expect to queue as per the signs, if it says 45mins it will be 45 mins.

Turn up for the Pirate of skeleton bay show early (20 mins approx before the start) and put down a picknick blanket a little to the right of the control booth on the corner. You now have loos behind you, handy family loos in the middle of the building have 2 loos and changing tables so you can all go together and even fit the double pram with ease. The show is brilliant and will be enjoyed by all, plus the Pirate Captain is usually a bit of eyecandy for the mummies. The harbour coffee shop does starbucks quality lattes, surprisingly good! Have your lunch infront of the show, its fab! And bring a picknick as food is ridiculously expensive.

The duploland puppet show is fab and again there is loos and a tea and coffee stall behind you when you get seated.

The waterplay area in Duploland is brilliant if its a warm day! BRING TOWELS!

And do the Xchallenge waterslide LAST before you go home as its brilliant fun but you will have a WET BUM however much you try not to. Dont even bother sitting on a tesco bag you will get soaked, just get over it!

Definitly bring a change of clothes. For EVERYONE.

DONT be put off if the weather is crap, bring suitable clothes, (you can buy ponchos on site) and you will have NO QUEUES. When I have relatives visiting we always choose the day when it rains to do legoland and dressed appropriately you will have a fab day out!

Finish the day with and Icecream at PapaMoles and sit at the back of the icecream shop with fab views of the whole park and miniland and windsor castle and you will see the planes take off from Heathrow, the kids will love it!

Our fave rides ( have 3 yr old and 2 yr old) are: The Pirate Show, the Helicopters at Duplo land, the Orient express green train, the Duplo train (never any queues to speak of) Dino Safari, the Boating School and the Mini Drivers at the driving school.

The only ride I wouldnt bother with is the Lazer ride in the Egyptian area (Pharaos Kingdom? Cant remember what it is called at the mo) Its not worth the massive queues even if you can bring a baby on bord. Its just plain booooring.....im not a big fan of Balloon school or Aero Nomad either, dull...

Im sure plenty of people have more great tips too, but it is a great great day out!

Dont forget to bring a stroller for little ones, they will get exhausted. you can rent them on site but do you really want to spend 20 pounds on one?
And you will want your stroller to hold your picknick, blankets and spare clothes! And waterbottles drinks and snacks. And ponchos....and lego purchases from the gift shop.

Afterwards if you are going home leave half and hour before the rush to get out starts, otherwise you will spend hours queuing to get out of the carpark and down the hills towards the main road. Its very pretty and beautiful but not fun. If you go towards Windsor you will get stuck in traffic again but it does move again. Towards Ascot is usually better and a quicker route to get around Windsor.

If you want a nice meal after the day out the LOCH FYNE restaurant along the road to Ascot is Lovely and will treat your kids like royalty. The nearest MCDonalds is off the dual carriage way in Windsor heading to the M4, turn off for ETON just before the M4, follow the slip around and take a left towards slough and there is a nice MCD just next to the M4. Very easy you cannot miss it.

We havent stayed in the new Legoland hotel yet but im sure someone who has stayed can post hints tips and a review, it would be great to read about it!

Have fun! x

moonblushtomato Thu 05-Jul-12 22:26:53

OOoooh exciting!!

Me, DH and 2 LOs age 5 and 3 are doing the Lego Thang next monday (due to school INSET - YIPPEE!)

Some really good tips on here, keep 'em coming!

Would the LOs enjoy the Pirate Show?

moonblushtomato Fri 06-Jul-12 14:33:54

Another question (of many!) for all you Legoland experts, what are the top attractions for DCs age 3 and 5?

Want to know where to head first to avoid queues!

Atlantis looks good as does dino safari???

MummyPigandDaddyPig Fri 06-Jul-12 18:55:19

Your 5 and 3 year old will love the pirate show , dont forget to stay behind after the show to meet the pirates and have a photo! Pirate Georgie is always delightful but all of them are fab and will make a fuss over your little ones!
Ive got a 3 year old and would do the boating school first followed by Atlantis ( walk down the hill dont take the hilltrain!) then dino safari, green train ,Lunch infront of the pirate show at 12, driving school, blue train, helicopters, fairytale brook, miniland, then pharaos kingdom roundabouts and if you have time knights kingdom if you like the rollercoasters. Otherwise head up to the 4D show, ride the dragons, have ice cream and if you want to get wet finish off with x challenge waterslide...I think you will have had enough by then!

Loueytb3 Fri 06-Jul-12 21:02:45

We're going to legoland tomorrow for the first time with our 3 DCs (5, 5, and 1). We live reasonably close and we've already bought annual passes. DS1 has ASD so I know we can get a pass to get him around the queues (although that won't help if he doesn't want to go on). I have seen the park opens at 10am but what time do you need to get there to get on things quickly? We are 40 mins drive away.

I've had a quick scan of this thread and I've seen that atlantis gets busy so we will go there first and we will try and get to the pirates show. What else is good for 5 yr olds?

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 07-Jul-12 17:29:51

Does anyone know if there are Lego ninjago activities at Lego land?

NadiaPopov Sat 07-Jul-12 17:43:57

The Hertz hot dogs are fucking disgusting and the coffee shop next to the pirate show sells out of paninis by 1pm.
Atlantis is amazing, and the lego shop sells lego you can't get anywhere else.
My big advice is if you don't live locally go on your local inset day, as local schools won't be off.

moonblushtomato Sun 08-Jul-12 14:24:20

Thats a very strong emotion aimed at a mere hot dog nadia smile

JustFabulous Sun 08-Jul-12 14:27:45

This sounds like a really useful thread, thank you.

moonblushtomato Sun 15-Jul-12 22:40:39

Weeeelll.... We had a FABULOUS day at Legoland last Monday. It only rained a tiny bit.

Hilights were...Atlantis, Mini Driving School and the Dragon Rollercoaster - not sure who was more scared, me or 3yo DD!! 4D film - always a joy!

Low points....£12 for 4 ice creams shock

thegrowlygus Wed 25-Jul-12 19:04:10

Do you think going tomorrow is a bad idea?

MummyPigandDaddyPig Wed 25-Jul-12 22:20:35

Went monday and it wasnt as crowded as I thought it would be. If you are concerned about queuing in the heat get a Q-BOT. They are FAB and take all the stress out of the day if you can afford the extra 15 pounds per person. I cant recommend it enough, we have used it when we took visiting relatives and it made the day so much more enjoyable and we did almost all the rides!!!! You do get the entire queue giving you the hmm look when you get on though...smile

Convert Sat 28-Jul-12 09:19:47

Hi, we are going to legoland tomorrow and just looking at the QBOT thing as I think it will be heaving! We have a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old and 11mnth old, so as one of us will have to stay with the baby while they boys go on rides, could we pay for 3 on the QBOT and alternate which adult goes on?
Hasve already written down the rest of the tips so thank you all!!

MummyPigandDaddyPig Sat 28-Jul-12 18:20:39

Convert, thats exactly what we did! Have fun! Pay extra to add boating school, then start by legging it to Atlantis (the only other ride not included!) we paid for atlantis and when we got there the queue for boating school was already 45 mins and Atlantis was empty....bummer!

Convert Mon 30-Jul-12 06:54:58

Thanks, we only had to pay for two in the end as one of the boys is three, so was free. We had a fab day, apart from the journey with a screaming baby and a vomiting toddler!
To add a tip, the pirate show was brilliant but the steps you sit on under the trees were covered in bird shit so be careful to check before you sit down! DH didn't!
I also thought the rapids ride was a bit harsh with strangers actually paying to spray jets of water at small children. Seemed a bit mean!

mumnosGOLDisbest Wed 01-Aug-12 00:45:46

we're going next week and cant wait! we've got a long drive so want to stay locally after as i know we'll be shattered. can anyone reccomend somewhere v.cheap and cheerful? dont mind a bit of a drive out of windsor but 4hrs home is a bit much.

mumnosGOLDisbest Wed 01-Aug-12 00:47:02

we live up north so would be heading in that direction. tia x

MummyPigandDaddyPig Fri 03-Aug-12 08:18:52

The Legoland Hotel is the obvious choice, but prob fully booked. Check for last minute cancellations direct w hotel you might be lucky! Otherwise the travellodge central windsor is ideal but as the olympics are on you might struggle as windsor is in full olympic swing. I would try the heathrow hotels on the slough side, the slough windsor marriott, or holiday inn in langley, or even the t5 travellodge. There is a few premier inns in slough but locationwise for a family they are not great. For smaller places the manor hotel in Datchet is nice, and there is a small budget hotel in chavey down in ascot (think its a premier inn not sure ) there arecloads of B&B but having no experience of any of them I cant really recommend. Good luck!

mumnosGOLDisbest Fri 03-Aug-12 12:28:59

Thanks legoland hotel would have been fab but a bit over budget. As were alot of the closer travel inns etc. Weve got a cheap deal at a travelodge in bravknell. No idea what its like but it has a bed and running water so beats our usual camping hols!
Thanks for all your suggestions!

MummyPigandDaddyPig Sun 19-Aug-12 19:50:49

Shameless bump as stll summer hols and relevant. (and too busy for my liking, cant wait for the schools to start so we wont have to queue so much...)

Narrowboat Fri 24-Aug-12 21:39:35

Hello all, we're going next Saturday (1st sept) ds who is five and I. I can't wait, squeeee!

Ds can't wait to see the star wars Lego - and I want to go on the rides. How long should I plan for star wars?

Would it be a good idea to get a qbot? And a plan of what rides to go on? I just worry that ds will go on one and decide he doesn't like them. He is quite strong willed.

Another thread mention lockers for £1 - where are those?

We'll be getting the train - is the shuttlebus Ok? I can't work out the bus timetable blush so will be a turn up and wait job.

Any other tips appreciated!

wait68 Mon 10-Sep-12 13:21:37

Legoland in my opinion overrated.
Do not go on weekends or during school holidays unless you are paying extra for priority so that you do not have queue.
There are so many people it seems as if there was free entry.
I have never queued so much and after a whole day sunday we only managed to go to three rides, children were exhauseted I was exhausted, in other words it was a nightmare come true. Queue 40 min rides or other 5 min.
Curry macs for wet rides.
get their buggies to curry your items and children when they are tired.
Lots of drinks and cool bag.

Hi
Would people recommend 1 or 2 days there? taking a 4 & almost 5 yr old...
And thinking of using Tesco vouchers as seems a great deal!
Also hotels 'nearby' Heathrow Premier Inn seems a good deal, or the Hilton or Novotel - using Tesco vouchers for the last two! all about 10/12 miles away...

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Thu 28-Feb-13 15:11:46

1 day if you go term time, def 2 in holiday time, if you want to take it easy and enjoy the park and do everything. Q-bot takes all the stress out of it if you can afford it. The heathrow hotels are all abit industrial site type places, the windsor holiday inn is in a good spot, so is windsor travel lodge, right in town near the castle. Have heard of people using bracknell hotels too, also the ascot premier inn. If you can get a good deal I would stay in windsor, or the slough copthorne maybe, its approx 10 mins from LL. Have fun!

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Thu 28-Feb-13 15:15:15

The holiday inn chalvey slough is right opposite the copthorne. Not the nicest of areas but very handy access for LL if you can get a good deal. I would still go for the travellodge windsor given a choice...

changejustforyou Thu 28-Feb-13 21:15:52

hm, just reading all this. We were thinkning of going two days. Is it more geared for younger children. Mine are 6, 10 and 12y old. The older ones are used to the fastest rides at Alton Towers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now