to ask here too? Edinburgh Zoo

(53 Posts)
welliesundermeballgoon Wed 25-May-11 13:40:15

Hi,

I am taking the DC to Edinburgh the weekend after next for a weekend away as we can't afford a proper holiday this year sad

I am doing it on a budget as things are a bit tight, I got the cheap £19 travel lodge room and have spent my tesco vouchers on day out vouchers for various attractions, however did not have enough to 'buy' Edinburgh zoo tickets (as other venues offered 4x value but EZ was £ for £ iyswim)

I'd really like to take the DCs there but its really expensive, I have tried to find promotional codes but there doesn't appear to be any sad However I have seen that if you travel with Scotrail they are giving free children admission vouchers away, I was wondering if anybody has any that they wouldn't require which I could buy?

Sorry if IABU to ask !

OwlMother Wed 25-May-11 20:26:27

The Museum of Childhood is dull. Always has been.

Botanics are great, the park on the meadows that Ratspeaker mentioned is fab. Brittania is overpriced.

We prefer the zoo to the safari park - the sealion show at the safari park is as bad as a circus from the 50's. Take your own food to the zoo and get the wee bus to the top and walk down. Refuse to pay the extra (vouluntary!) donation for the new chimp enclosure.

Edinburgh Castle at this time of year is bedlam, was there last week and it was over-run with italian school groups.

You get a fab view of the city from Arthurs seat and it's lovely to walk all the way down the royal mile - cake at the Queen's gallery at Holyrood House is fabulous too!

Nice walks along the water of leith and the Modern Art Gallery and the Dene gallery are free so good for a quick look and quirky enough to appeal to kids.

geordieminx Wed 25-May-11 20:34:20

east links farm is supposed to be really nice too if you fancy getting out of the town.

ice cream in musselburgh on the way homegrin

We prefer safari park, and there is a lovely wee farm next to it too.

Butterfly world at loanhead is nice too, they do animal handling.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

welliesundermeballgoon Thu 26-May-11 19:20:05

Thanks so much to all of you, lots and lots of options here, I am off to wade through them all!

Thinbride I have PM'd you, thank you x

EmmaBemma Thu 26-May-11 19:44:21

The Dali is back at the Kelvingrove now, but St Mungo's is still well worth a look - fascinating place. And the cathedral it's next to, as well, and the necropolis. Sorry, bit off topic, as they're in Glasgow.

EmmaBemma Thu 26-May-11 20:19:54

The Provand's Lordship - I had to google it because I couldn't remember what it was called. It's right across the road from St Mungo's.

fgaaah Thu 26-May-11 20:31:41

my sister lives in glasgow now but her (ex) H is from Edinburgh, when we went to Gorgey Farm in the same trip as we went to the Bigger Zoo, the kids actually preferred the smaller one. they got to touch the animals (which obviously at a larger zoo you couldn't do). although, this was going back quite a few years now, so maybe it's all different, but i have to say i was surprised at how good the little free one was in comparison smile

suzikettles Thu 26-May-11 20:36:02

East Links farm isn't cheap but is very good value really - if you bring your own food you won't have to pay a penny when you're in there and if your children are under about 8ish then there's enough there for them to be busy all day (if the weather's good).

Almond Valley also not cheap but a full day's worth for your money (again, bring your own food & don't bother if it's very wet).

suzikettles Thu 26-May-11 20:39:36

Every time I see a sticker on a car from Edinburgh Zoo I'm reminded of the Half Man Half Biscuit song "The Best Things in Life.."

They've got one of those stickers in the back of their van; it says "We've seen the prices at the Zoo"

www.deepseaworld.com/default.asp?css=1

Not the zoo but its great there and easy to get to from Edinburgh.I notice they have 2 pounds off each ticket if you buy on line

scottishmummy Fri 27-May-11 00:44:30

www.gorgiecityfarm.org.uk/home/ fun and free.some activities do cost but dead cheap
the bus ticket has money off thingy too

thinbridewaitingtogetout Fri 27-May-11 07:04:47

I have pm'ed you back wellies!

chelstonmum Fri 27-May-11 10:55:26

If you are taking a drive through to Glasgow the Old street School museum is good for kids, and if you park and ride there you can use the underground to go to the kelvingrove (off at either kelvin bridge or partick). A picnic in Kelvingrove park is a lovely afternoon or drive down to the peoples palce and winter gardens.... it has a fab kids play park next to it on Glasgow Green.

Oh this thread has me longing for a Glasgow visit and almost missing my uni days!

scottishmummy Fri 27-May-11 11:17:31

v good recommendations chelstonmum.love all those places

jennyftm Thu 11-Oct-12 18:46:45

Its great to find things that are free - keep hunting online as I have found over the years so many great free things. However following the thread re: zoo and safari park, we have been twice to safari park and once to the zoo and have always had a good day out. I probably prefer the safari park (on a lovely sunny day) as the animals have that bit more freedom, but our boys had such a laugh at edinburgh zoo watching the antics of the monkeys ! The pandas were not quite as exciting but were the reason we went there. And the sea lion show at safari park is good fun ! Safari park had an online free kids voucher last year on their website - no idea if that will still be there. Safari park I think only opens in the summer months and also it has a great playpark there. In Edinburgh for free I remember being at a great park on the southern side somewhere which had huge slides in the playpark - anyone remember what its called ? And museums and botanics great too and free ! Museum of Scotland new museum has a great interactive science exhibition and you can even see Dolly the sheep (now dead unfortunately but history definitely)

ratspeaker Thu 11-Oct-12 19:17:50

Bit of a zombie thread but to hazard a guess theres a playpark in the Meadows corner of Melville Drive an Buccleuch Street and another good one at Saughton park- which has skateboard facilities www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/495/parks_gardens_and_open_spaces/764/play_facilities/2

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 11-Oct-12 19:23:00

Edinburgh zoo isn't great to be honest! A

Almondvale is much better value if you have a car, and east links farm is also excellent.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 11-Oct-12 19:23:37

The botanic gardens are also fab and free!

ratspeaker Thu 11-Oct-12 19:26:40

You do realise the OP was asking these questions back in May?

Goldenjubilee10 Thu 11-Oct-12 19:36:50

In May 2011 actually.

TheLazyGirl Thu 11-Oct-12 19:43:50

It was free last time I was there, but what about the Botantical Gardens? They were amazing! Edinburgh Zoo has always been really dear.

Or, I always go to Princes Street Gardens- my Great Great Grandad was the Park keeper, who designed the clock by the stairs on the Waverley side. Its very nice there, lots of squirrels.

Or Arthurs Seat? Thats free. And the Scott Monument depending on how little your DC is, thats got amazing views.

clpsmum Thu 11-Oct-12 20:30:39

I have a family ticket to the total yacht Brittania if you'd like it that's in Edinburgh xxx

TheLazyGirl Thu 11-Oct-12 20:33:49

Thats just outside, but if you go into Leith and Musselburgh, there is a brilliant museum (free last time I was there) all about the Romans in Scotland, with mosaic floors and things. There is also Portobello beach, the racecourse (free to watch certain races) and a lovely old fashioned ice cream shop that sells saspirilla and other stuff you can't find much anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now