Mother fined for NOT circumcising child

(9 Posts)
UrbanDad Thu 28-Nov-13 19:15:37

Just when you thought religions were dead sinking bank into the noxious swamp from which they were spawned, they rise up again with some really nasty twitching:

www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/28/israel-court-fines-woman-refusing-circumcise-son

I couldn't have put it better than Steven Weinberg: "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

LurcioLovesFrankie Thu 28-Nov-13 19:26:39

Bloody hell, that's apalling.

SamG76 Fri 29-Nov-13 09:09:12

I think there may be more to this than meets the eye. There's no legal obligation to have a brit in Israel. I suspect this is part of a custody battle, and the wife is trying to get a better deal. The religious courts can also imprison men for refusing a divorce.

lostdad Thu 12-Dec-13 12:49:33

What is appalling that male genital mutilation is so widely accepted.

curlew Thu 12-Dec-13 12:53:36

Yep. It'll be fantastic when men, both individually and as leaders of the "circumcising" faiths stop insisting on it.

IslandMoose Thu 12-Dec-13 16:49:27

It will be fantastic when anybody (regardless of gender) stop insisting on it.

Childrenofthestones Fri 03-Jan-14 09:48:13

It would be wonderful to see a mother arrested here for getting a boy done.
But as successive governments cant get their act together to imprison for female circumcision, I wont be holding my breath.

itsjustplayingonmymind Sun 02-Feb-14 21:43:49

circumcision is very healthy for male. I disagree with what they did to the mother

princessalbert Sun 02-Feb-14 21:51:42

Healthy??

Cutting a babys foreskin off without an anaesthetic. Cruel I would say.

Good for the mother for taking a stand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now