Just thought I'd say...

(47 Posts)
Dadarren Wed 27-Nov-13 03:30:10

I didn't realise we men had our own section, although it doesn't look very well used in comparison. I assume there's nothing wrong with posting in the general sections but is there a specific reason to post here too?

My DP got on this section the other day and was pretty disappointed in its lack of use. I think he was hoping to interact with other dads. He likes the main forums too, though. I think the word "Mumsnet" crops up at least once a day in our conversations...ha!

TiggyD Wed 27-Nov-13 16:19:35

Why do we need our own section?

Can men not talk about pets with women? Can men not ask for advice on baby names from women? Can men not _chat with women?

The number of things to talk about that are male specific are pretty few. Men can post anywhere on Mumsnet apart from the feminist bit.

BoneyBackJefferson Wed 27-Nov-13 21:07:28

"Men can post anywhere on Mumsnet apart from the feminist bit"

Is that a new rule?

TiggyD Wed 27-Nov-13 21:15:07

Practical advice.

BoneyBackJefferson Wed 27-Nov-13 21:16:27

ahh.

Then it is good advice smile

Although not a prolific poster, I quite like the quietness of dadsnet - I think stuff gets posted in here in order to glean male responses and as there are (probably - I hope someone doesnt ask me for stats) far fewer men on here, seems to make sense that its quiet.

DH posts all over the boards, including FWR on occasion. I've never been sure why this bit exists tbh!

KissesBreakingWave Thu 28-Nov-13 13:22:06

For dad-specific issues that don't belong elsewhere? Not that I can think of one off the top of my head, but there must surely be some?

Pan Thu 28-Nov-13 18:33:54

It isn't just what we talk about, it's how we talk about stuff. In well-considered timely ways without too much rush. But if you are of the XX type you may not entirely understand..

Booze. Arse. Tits! (Not a man!)

birdybear Thu 28-Nov-13 18:35:43

What? You actually talk? I just thought you made k kind of hmmm sound ...

Pan Thu 28-Nov-13 18:55:39

Mainly it's the hmmm sound, but it's the power of the thoughts behind that which is so special.

BuffytheElfSquisher Thu 28-Nov-13 18:56:57

You can post on FWR. Go on, dare you!

<runs away>

TiggyD Thu 28-Nov-13 18:57:28

<Taps out pipe and resumes thinking>

Pan Thu 28-Nov-13 18:58:46

hmmm..

BuffytheElfSquisher Thu 28-Nov-13 19:00:03

I've never posted on Dadsnet before. So, what do we discuss here? Hmmm?

TiggyD Thu 28-Nov-13 19:00:11

How much is this stuff for an eighth now?

<giggles>

Pan Thu 28-Nov-13 19:05:47

Got some choccy and crisps Tiggy.

Dadarren Thu 28-Nov-13 20:31:39

I tried to post something a bit insensitive in the chat section, but it didn't go down too great!! I'd better to stick here, I think!

UrbanDad Thu 28-Nov-13 20:50:50

It does take us a goodly while to think up something witty, charming yet challenging to say and/or to asdemble a suitably laconic response. "Hmmmmm.... " is just the sound of that Y chromosome rattling around in all that spare space, don't you know?

BuffytheElfSquisher Thu 28-Nov-13 21:41:54

Or Daren you could try posting stuff that isn't insensitive? Just a thought. I don't know what you said and don't intend to stalk you to find out, but maybe you can learn and grow and become <portentous voice> a better man.

TheDoctrineOfWho Thu 28-Nov-13 21:45:36

Given there's a World Cup 2010 topic and a Cakes and Bakes topics and a MumsNOT topic, a Pipe Tapping Dadsnet topic seems fair enough.

BuffytheElfSquisher Thu 28-Nov-13 21:48:32

Which I suspect we are spoiling for them. And not in the way of Mr Ambassador with his large pile of chocolates sad

TheDoctrineOfWho Thu 28-Nov-13 22:02:39

Fair enough, Buffy

<closes door quietly in case of snoozing slippered inhabitants>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now