2013/14 football season

(21 Posts)
CoffeeandScones Tue 13-Aug-13 07:54:28

Hi,

Relatively new here so if these threads are usually only started by Dadsnet 'royalty', my apologies smile

I confess I think of the PL season (though other leagues are available and have already started) so who do you support, where do you think they'll finish and what are you most/least looking forward to?

CoffeeandScones Tue 13-Aug-13 07:56:06

Liverpool
6th/7th
Most looking forward to Man Utd winning nothing...
Least looking forward to the extended Suarez drama.

NicholasTeakozy Tue 13-Aug-13 08:19:43

It's usually this time of year that Liverpool supporters are at their most bullish, loudly proclaiming "this is our season to win the Premier League". By October, of course, it's all gone tits up. Every season, you can set your calendar.

If I had any money I'd put it on United.

Pan Wed 14-Aug-13 09:58:49

I don't think BelfastBloke would exactly describe himself as 'royalty' but yes when he finally shakes himself off of the pre-season stiffness I'm sure he'll be along to kick off. But he does seem to be cutting it fine, and may need a bit of Fergie time...grin

fwiw, A Man U-er here, BB is a Gooner and we usually have a mix of posters from the lower-grade teams in the Premiership, and a few posters from beyond.

TiggyD Wed 14-Aug-13 21:58:27

United just first. Small gap to...
City second.
Chelsea third.
The arse, Tottenham, Everton next in some order or other.
My Liverpool 7th. Maybe 6th at a push.

(SELL CHOMPY!)

delboysfileofax Wed 14-Aug-13 22:00:26

Saints in champions league placement. You heard it here first! wink

TiggyD Wed 14-Aug-13 22:03:31

Wow! They're GOOD drugs you're on!

delboysfileofax Wed 14-Aug-13 22:07:23

Ah, the God that is super Rickie scored tonight, I'm allowed to run away with it a little!

TiggyD Wed 14-Aug-13 22:11:14

Yeah, the lad done good. You must be over the moon Brian.

Pan Sat 17-Aug-13 15:33:07
caruthers England Thu 24-Oct-13 17:24:57

Manchester City fan here and no apologies for that considering the barren years we've had to suffer.

United to finish outside of the top 4.

The league standings I wouldn't mind if I was lucky enough to have a wish granted.

City
Spurs
Chelsea
Liverpool

Overall here's hoping that it's a great season of football without the histrionics surrounding last seasons outing smile

Paleodad Tue 05-Nov-13 11:33:43

Ah forget the Prem, League 1, aka La Liga 1 (as my DB calls it, due, no doubt, to the quality of football being played in this league), is where it's at this season, with Wolves about to go joint top following certain victory tonight at Carlisle.
(i of course reserve the right to default to the usual miserable Wolves fan position - sack the manager/chairman/etc. - should we lose)

Paleodad Tue 05-Nov-13 11:35:14

And Manchester City - barren years - puurrlease.
Try being a Wolves Fan grin

caruthers England Fri 08-Nov-13 01:02:27

Wolves will have their time my friend wink

MiniMonty Fri 08-Nov-13 02:09:51

Re Wolves:
Birmingham is the single most successful footballing city in Europe.
City, Villa, Wolves and the Boings - consider the population (move a few pointless boundaries) and Brum gets the title hands down. Forget London, Rome or Milan - it's Brummage all the way.

Chelsea or Arsenal will win it this year - clear as day now it's November. Man U under new leadership will need two years to be tip-top flight again, I think Alex knew this when he handed David Moyes the crown and Man City are still learning what it is to be consistent winners.

The Arse are flying and Chelsea under Jose have only won and won and won (OK - a hiccough at St James's ) but they beat Arsenal in the league cup and are guaranteed last 16 in the Champions league - and (like Aresnal) just look at the squad and the bench at any game. It's Gooners or the Shed for the title.

I'd have a tenner on Tottenham FINALLY finishing top four this year but if they do they will fail in Europe double quick.
Fourth place - my prediction goes to "random team". Should be Liverpool of course but it could equally be Southampton.

- - - - - - - - -

PS - Suarez should have been BANNED from all professional football for biting a chunk out of Ivanociv last season and if it were it ANY other sport - he would have been.
Can you imagine a cyclist, a cricketer - BITING a chunk out of an opponents ear - and getting away with it ????

SECOND offence and if Joe Bloggs did it after a night on the beer he'd get a month in the cells... HOW is Suarez the cannibal still allowed on a British football field ?

<< goes for a sauna with Jimmy Hill to calm down >>

MiniMonty Fri 08-Nov-13 02:11:42

Make that typo - Ivanovic

MiniMonty Fri 08-Nov-13 02:20:38

Anyway I really did go for a sauna with Jimmy Hill - no, honest, I really did.

Oooooh - Itch my chin... Ooooh my chinny chin chin is just so ummm ITCHY - oooohhh...
(sorry, certain age required to get that old, old joke)

I'd love to have seen "Jimmy Hill meets Suit You"

Ooh.
Were you out with a large chin last night were you sir - were you ?
Ooh - suit you.

caruthers England Fri 08-Nov-13 12:39:26

Arsenal will fall away as per usual (Strikers at Arsenal are like Hens teeth) and Chelsea really don't have the squad to compete.

The challengers that could/might challenge City this year are Spurs and Liverpool although again Liverpool squad strength could be a problem for them.

United however are a bit on the doomed side and are resigned to the chasing pack...it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make the champions league this year.

The match of the weekend is at Old Trafford where United play Arsenal and it's a real test for Arsenal considering they roll over and play dead against United sides.

MiniMonty Sat 09-Nov-13 01:13:04

caruthers "Chelsea really don't have the squad to compete".
me Do they miss you ?
caruthers who?
me the people from your planet ?

caruthers England Sat 09-Nov-13 14:52:18

If you think Chelsea have a strong squad compared to City or indeed United then bang a bet on them to win the league.

The reason they fell away last season is because their squad depth is thin.

SCENES Sun 10-Nov-13 23:29:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now