The rolling Football thread (2012-2013)

(285 Posts)
BelfastBloke Sun 12-Aug-12 13:04:56

The rolling Football thread for Season '12-13 might as well start off with the same intro as did the original rolling Football thread:

There are quite a lot of football fans on MN, and also loads of football-haters. If we hide here in Dadsnet, none of the detractors will find us. But if they do, they are welcome to come here and moan.

You don’t have to be male to post here, of course. (No-one would say women can’t post in the Dadsnet section, just like no woman would EVER say men aren’t welcome on Mumsnet…)

Footy fans please sign in with

1.Which team you support.
2.Which team(s) you loathe.
3.How you are getting your kids to follow the correct team.
4. A thought on the season (Premiership/Championship/Champions’ League/FA Cup/League Cup/(el clasico?)/(Euro 2012?)

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 05-Jan-13 15:27:11

I'm not grin

GiveMeSomeSpace Sat 05-Jan-13 17:15:03

Yes I was Pan - working in the garden unfortunately.......

Great result! I never had a doubt.

Pan Tue 08-Jan-13 20:35:21

Go Brighton.

So Pepe is back in town.

Scary version - SAF does handover period with PG Tips, and then moves to Directorship. Ronaldo quite fancies this and strops his way out of Madrid back to our loving arms. Cue repeat of last 20 years.grin

Reservation is that PG has no experience outside the Barca cocoon.

Or he goes to the Gooners. Damn.

BelfastBloke Tue 08-Jan-13 21:31:31

"Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams"

Pan Tue 08-Jan-13 22:22:43

"This melancholy London - I sometimes imagine that the souls of the lost are compelled to walk through its streets perpetually."

Pan Sat 19-Jan-13 12:22:22

Well that's been a busy couple of weeks, hasn't it?
Theo answering BB's implorings ( this probably swayed it), the Chelsea managerial virus is contracted at Southampton, Fletcher is out for the season, FA Cup 3rd round, PG Tips takes the deutschmark/euro and what the hell are S/land doing even talking about selling players when they are keeping heads just above the grim waters of the relagation zone?

Pan Sat 19-Jan-13 12:28:46

Oh and in the news, Suarez says that he dived. And Armstrong says that he took performance enhancing substances. hmm

GiveMeSomeSpace Sat 19-Jan-13 14:28:36

He didn't dive did he?!! hehe

DanFmDorking Sat 19-Jan-13 14:52:36

Suarez will not now be shaking hands with the opposition, as he doesn't want to risk injuring his goal scoring hand.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 19-Jan-13 15:27:40

Bloody hell Jordan Henderson has scored a goal

Oblomov Sun 20-Jan-13 10:59:38

Dh predicts that without Sandro, Spurs will totally fall apart.

Pan Sun 20-Jan-13 12:03:45

I'm a big long admirer of Scott Parker - he does the job he does v well. Doesn't have the finesse of Roy Keane, but can hold a midfield together.

I hear Paul Scholes will be one-on-one with Gareth Bale.....

Oblomov Sun 20-Jan-13 14:37:33

Me too Pan. We will find out how fit Scotty is. But we will miss Sandro.
Chelsea 2-0 up.
Dh just hearing rumours that the Man U game is not going to go ahead.

Oblomov Sun 20-Jan-13 17:59:22

Man U v Spurs 1-1. We beat them away. So thats 4 points we had off tem this season.
Sky sports said Carrick man of the match and that he bossed the midfield. But dh and I disagree. Thats not what we saw. Man U were great defensively, but we did well. Lennon was good. And how many attacks did they have? 1. and they scored. VP at the beginning. And then how many chances did they have in the rest of the game? can you name them? Nope, didn't think so.practically no others. Goalkeeper made many saves as we attacked reguarly.
I am pleased.

Pan Sun 20-Jan-13 20:35:50

Fergie time!

I thought the match stats showed a fairly even game. Utd sat back a bit too much, and obv should have had the penalty to make it 2-0. Always a bit concerning with the talent of attackers and so few real threatening opportunities to put the game away.

Pan Wed 30-Jan-13 23:20:23

So what's your judgement BB? About to see MoD.

DanFmDorking Tue 05-Feb-13 23:06:54

What's more shocking: the attempt to fix 380 football matches, or that Liverpool could only score 1 goal against a team whose keeper was paid to concede 3.

BelfastBloke Wed 06-Feb-13 20:33:36

Just enjoying Wilshire dominating Brazil. Sorta.

Theo playing well as well

Pan Sun 17-Feb-13 11:42:59

wtf at Arsenal? Punching massively under it's weight? Surely Wenger needs to be moved on, as it doesn't look as if he'll do it by himself. Masses of talent but no 'leader' on the pitch pulling strings and barking out orders motivating the side.

BelfastBloke Sun 17-Feb-13 12:16:26

wtf indeed

Pan Sun 17-Feb-13 12:54:49

it's the talent thing. OOOOzing it, but v little holding it together.

<watch us get slammed 12-13 by Reading tomorrow>

GiveMeSomeSpace Sun 17-Feb-13 17:47:34

I can't believe Wenger has managed to hold on for so long.

Pan Sun 17-Feb-13 18:22:22

Well SAF went 4 years without winning anything? But that was right at the start of his appointment though, not 15-16 yrs? into it. But he has been there so long it will prob. be quite difficult to imagine the club without him. And a huge decision to invite him to leave.

BelfastBloke Mon 18-Feb-13 19:33:41

Why are you assuming that winning anything is what the Arsenal board want? Most of them aren't Arsenal fans.

Why would they fire a miracle worker? Champions' League qualification every single year of Wenger's reign -- and for a budget less than all the other clubs spend to qualify.

Pan Mon 18-Feb-13 19:47:34

Interesting. Are you saying that the 'club' are accepting a 'so-so' status long-term as a plan (albeit v good so-so) as the financial margins make it worthwhile?
<eyebrow raised at Arsene's deNiro cameo>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now