The rolling Football thread

(956 Posts)
BelfastBloke Wed 08-Dec-10 10:28:19

There are quite a lot of football fans on MN, and also loads of football-haters. If we hide here in Dadsnet, none of the detractors will find us. But if they do, they are welcome to come here and moan.

You don’t have to be male to post here, of course. (No-one would say women can’t post in the Dadsnet section, just like no woman would EVER say men aren’t welcome on Mumsnet…)

Footy fans please sign in with

1. Which team you support.
2. Which team(s) you loathe.
3. How you are getting your kids to follow the correct team.
4. A thought on the season so far (Premiership/Championship/Champions’ League/FA Cup/League Cup/(el clasico?)/World Cup bids.

Truckulent Wed 08-Dec-10 18:08:43

Lonely in here?

BelfastBloke Wed 08-Dec-10 22:40:49

It's always lonely in dadsnet. But the footy fans were busy watching the matches tonight.

1. Gooner on the train back from the match.
2. Hate Chelsea, not Spurs like I'm supposed to.
3. DD has an arsenal rucksack she wanders round the house wearing, putting toys into it.
4. Last sat, like tonight, we played dreadfully yet still won. We were singing "we're shit, but we're top of the league..."

Truckulent Sat 11-Dec-10 08:54:27

1. A midlands team.
2. None, can't see the point.
3. No choice, though one does like Man Utd.
4. The premiership isn't as good this year. The Championship is up for anyone to win. I'm waiting for a refs strike. How much crap can they take?

I must admit I prefer cricket and rugby. Anyway off to the station to watch the mighty ??FC win away.

BelfastBloke Sat 11-Dec-10 20:40:16

Truckulent, as neither Arsenal nor Chelski were playing today, I'm happy to say I hope you won.

I'll watch out for Midlands teams on Match of the Day tonight, although I know you may not follow a Premiership club.

You really don't think the Premiership is as good this year, with more variety at the top and less consistency, and Spurs playing really exciting footy?

Truckulent Sun 12-Dec-10 22:09:16

I think the standard of football is lower. Which will make it more exciting as man u or Chelsea can't run away with it. I want Spurs to win it. Which may not go down well with you!

whathappened Sun 12-Dec-10 22:14:36

Hi, female spurs fan here.pleased with our draw today.like to say i hate arsenal but being a true football fan,i have to admit they play some good stuff.really dislike females who constantly moan about oh watching football and am suprised at how many of my male friends do not watch games because of this.i could never be with a man who did not love the beautiful game and my female friends are used to the abuse i give them if they ring me up while i am watching a game on tv.My social life is arranged around sky sports!

Truckulent Sun 12-Dec-10 22:20:17

I was disappointed with the draw! I've always liked Spurs. Come on Harry.

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Sun 12-Dec-10 23:54:34

Oh, I watched the whole game and was supporting Spurs all the way. The penalty was very exciting and it was hilarious that Drogba missed, after presumably telling Lampard he wasn't to take the pen.

If Arsenal are not to win the Prem i can't work out whether or not I'd like Spurs to. As I said, I don't hate Spurs like I'm meant to. But at the same time, their fans would be insufferable if they did win it this season. Maybe it's better if Man U or Chelsea did. But if Arsenal are to win it, I'd be quite happy for Spurs to be second.

Good approach, WhatHappened.

Now if Arsenal can just win tomorrow... Some Man U players have been really disrespectful to Arsenal. Hope that gees up our players. Sadly, effort is not enough to create a decent defence, and Arsene fails to invest in defenders or in defensive drills in training.

Truckulent Mon 13-Dec-10 08:11:35

Whathappened good idea.

As I'm now a single Dad, if and when I have a serious relationship, and it is a Big If, i'll be asking some searching questions on the off-side law, the LBW law in cricket and Englands choice of fly-half for the 6 nations.

She would have to be a keen sports fan, I could be single a long time, which I don't have a problem with. I read a great quote on a thread I was on.

'I do think that female society would find it quite threatening if there were a large number of single fathers all getting along quite happily and saying 'I'd only want a woman if she had tits and didn't interfere with my cricket'

Not sure about the 'tits' bit but the cricket bit is right.

I'm supporting Man utd tonight sorry BB.

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Mon 13-Dec-10 08:27:07

1. Sunderland
2. The Mags.
3. My sister made my DH promise that DD would follow Sunderland whilst I was still pregnant.
4. Much better than expected. Used to delegation battles!

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Mon 13-Dec-10 10:19:05

Welcome, KenDodd.

Now why would you go and support ManUre tonight, Truckulent? Doesn't it at least make a better narrative if Arsenal don't get battered as they have done in the last few?

Truckulent Mon 13-Dec-10 10:44:19

You know there's no real logic to this don't you?

Arsenal beat Liverpool with that Michael Thomas goal, and I had a bet on Liverpool to win the title.

My son was a Man Utd fan, and I remember when they didn't used to win anything.

Fergie sold Beckham and others when they have stepped out of line and he had the foresight to spot Tevez was going to be difficult. but Fergie has let himself down giving into Rooney.

I don't like that Wenger never sees anything.

So Man U shade it.

Still want Spurs wo win the league though.

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Tue 14-Dec-10 07:47:15

Ah, bollocks.

We played well, I thought, for the first hour, but then it all drained away.

Truckulent Tue 14-Dec-10 19:27:46

I thought the football was poor, how many passes were intercepted?

purepurple Tue 14-Dec-10 19:30:39

Another sunderland fan here. My local team is Blackpool so I am following the seasiders this season too.

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Wed 15-Dec-10 19:27:03

Will it be Liverpool v Utrecht, or The Apprentice, in your households tonight?

Truckulent Wed 15-Dec-10 19:30:52

Liverpool, followed by the Ashes at 2am if I can stay awake.

1. Notts County
2. Derby County & Liverpool
3. Am starting to take DC to watch his local team next season when he will be 4. This is not Notts though, but an equally shit team in the Saaarf.
4. This season looking a bit more open in premiership. Not happy that DH's team are flying in the championship. El Classico was truly amazing, Xavi is my favourite player.

kendodd I am looking forward to meeting your boys in the third round grin

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Thu 16-Dec-10 21:29:36

Eeek! We are not reknowned for our FA cup prowess so you may be 'giant' killers.

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Fri 17-Dec-10 07:53:51

Arsenal are playing Stoke tomorrow, the first time since Ryan Shawcross broke Aaron Ramsey's leg and immediately got called up to England. The abuse he's going to get! (I stand behind the goal near the corner flag, so will hear it all)

This season is the first time I've lost faith in Wenger. He refuses to work on defence in training, even though Steve Bould works for the club, and Keown has done recently. (And Tony Adams is managing a club in Azerbaijan!)

BelfastBloke (Arse)
Whathappened (Spurs)
KenDoddsDadsDog...(Sunderland)
Truckulent (a Midlands team)
Jenniferturkington (Notts County)
Purepurple (Sunderland, Blackpool)

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Fri 17-Dec-10 21:29:08

So we're playing Barcelona. With no defence.

That'll be nice.

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Sat 18-Dec-10 09:07:53

Bolton for us today!

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Sat 18-Dec-10 15:08:12

One nil yes! Where is everyone?!

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Sat 18-Dec-10 15:32:16

Well I was driving to Arsenal until the cancellation of our game. Bad for me, a lot worse for our opponents Stoke!

purepurple Sat 18-Dec-10 16:41:50

One nil. A good result, and 6th place. I am amazed to learn that we have yet to be beaten at home this season.
Howay the lads!

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Sat 18-Dec-10 19:20:54

Man Utd next!

Well we had yet another match postponed- very annoying as it was away at Brighton (which is where I live!). Felt sorry for travelling Notts fans though as it was only called off an hour before KO on Friday night.

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Thu 23-Dec-10 09:37:20

There's a school of thought amongst Arsenal fans that getting knocked out of the Champions' League by Barca nice and early will allow us to "concentrate on the league".

All very well, but only if we spend in the transfer window. Which Wenger will not.

Truckulent Thu 23-Dec-10 22:59:12

Who is up for grabs though? Joey Barton?

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Fri 24-Dec-10 07:49:23

The Guardian seem to think that Gary Cahill and Joleon Lescott are available.

Normally I would trust Wenger to turn up with someone amazing that no-one's ever heard of, but I don't trust his judgement in defence. Obviously he can (and does) buy brilliant attackers.

Moaning, sorry. Just getting nervous about the Chelsea visit to us on Monday.

(About the match itself, I mean, although an evening game for a London derby after a full day's holiday drinking doesn't sound like the best idea for crowd control).

BelfastBloke (Arse)
Whathappened (Spurs)

CraigRevelPan Sat 25-Dec-10 14:38:47

Pan ( Man U).

Have been since the days of the holy trinity. Through the dark days of Div2 footie.
We are playing ropey footie at the mo. and missing Valencia more than I thought we would.
Agree with The Wizard when he indicates Spurs will get knocked off course by Europe and Arsenal need a bit more grit. ( though some of their tackling up here 2 weeks ago was pretty tasty). Chelski will come good. Nice to see MCFC slowly implode. Again.

Truckulent Sun 26-Dec-10 09:03:05

Man u fans regularly say I've supported them for years, not a criticism an observation.

I assume this is to stop accusations of being a glory fan?

Truckulent Sun 26-Dec-10 09:05:14

I think ManU, Chelsea and Arsenal look a bit ropey compared to years gone by.

I want Spurs to win it, have you seen Chelsea's debts?
Football isn't sustainable at this rate.

CraigRevelPan Sun 26-Dec-10 10:01:49

yes truck - am used to this. It annoys a bit, when I remember standing in the rain watching my beloved team having to play Orient ( no disrespect to Orient.....) Div 2 1974-75 season, when a few short years prior we had Europe at our feet. (also was born in the same village as Sir MAtt and we have family relations there AND was raised about 1 mile from Old Trafford - suspect I am over-doing the brandy butter here!)

A bit relieved Sunderland have injury concerns, and young Welbeck is barred. Really good to see Asamoa Ghan (sp) settling in so well, though.

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Sun 26-Dec-10 13:55:50

Woe betide anyone who suggests my Irish family are glory-hunters for supporting Man U.

There immediately follows a torrent of reasons, charting their first shit games they went to (a la Pan), the course of Irish immigration into Manchester and Liverpool, the religious/sectarian history of Citeh and United (and L'Pool and Everton), names and stats about Irish players for United over the years, and on and on.

CraigRevelPan Sun 26-Dec-10 15:26:31

Being Glaswegian-ish I know what you mean by the sectarianism....
first game was in the 1968-69 season. Only B&W telly, so was utterly dazzled by seeing the Sky Blue of Coventry, the blood red of Utd and the greeness of the grass!! No less dazzled though by the play of Georgie. [suddenly feeling very old emocion]

I see the Berb is back in business today....

Saltatrix Sun 26-Dec-10 15:38:59

1.Arsenal v.v

2.Chelsea and ManU

3.Constant love of sexy football the only thing going for Arsenal atm

4.Right now Wenger annoys the F*** out of me I am annoyed at the Arsenal making damn stupid errors pissed off at the defence (except Sagna)and him not wanting to buy players.

Truckulent Mon 27-Dec-10 19:20:58

Anyone watching Arsenal-Chelsea?

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Tue 28-Dec-10 00:05:11

I've just made it back home after experiencing it in all its glory! I've been moaning about the defence but it was brilliant tonight (Clichy excepted, obviously).

Truckulent Tue 28-Dec-10 00:19:38

It was a good performance. Chelsea looked poor.

AVeryMerryPersonalClown Tue 28-Dec-10 00:44:01

Tottenham till I die!!grin

Can't stand Chelski or ARSEnal so tonight's match was a riot!

DS is ASD so I don't force it on him. He doesn't get the point and going to a match is simply out of the question.

I'm loving the Prem ATM. So wide open and full of surprises.

Saltatrix Tue 28-Dec-10 11:14:59

Yes Truck was good was a bit worried after chelsea scored but pleased with the outcome ManU next grin

A very open season

CraigRevelPan Tue 28-Dec-10 12:28:51

"ManU next grin"

<snigger>

Saltatrix Tue 28-Dec-10 13:42:37

The last game was lucky sad

whathappened Fri 31-Dec-10 14:47:28

I am just loving it that spurs are running onto the pitch full of confidence.hope we can keep doing well in the prem once our champions league games resume.great for spurs to be in the mix up top,makes it more interesting.do people see city slipping up?Dont like the cold,these big superstars,do they!If i was a manager i would slaughter any player that dare wear one of those stupid snood things,cant bear it when any spurs players wear gloves.what would Billy Bremner say!
happy new year to you all and hope for plenty more good football next year.

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Fri 31-Dec-10 20:12:51

I couldn't care less about all the snoods and gloves. All these things are mostly psychological, anyway, like Robbie Fowler and his nose strips or Patrick Vieira with his shirt smeared with Vicks (whatever happened to those 'scientific' advantages?)

If the players think it helps them play better, let 'em go for it.

CraigRevelPan Sat 01-Jan-11 19:56:06

The Arse are looking a bit gud.

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Sat 01-Jan-11 23:05:12

Arsenal always do look good until they look bad.

BelfastRingingOutForXmasBloke Sat 01-Jan-11 23:05:36

BelfastBloke (Arse)
Whathappened (Spurs)
Saltatrix (Arsenal)
Pan (Man Utd)
AVeryMerryPersonalClown (Spurs)

CraigRevelPan Mon 03-Jan-11 18:04:35

Beckham for Man U? Everyone knows we have no-one who can cross the ball - Valencia will be out for a while yet - Rooney and the Berb need role models still - the Wizard has form for loan periods for experienced players...

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 05-Jan-11 20:44:44

Chelsea & Liverpool getting beaten tonight!

CraigRevelPan Thu 06-Jan-11 18:00:40

I know we have been playing rubbish, and this is underlined by the fact we didn't play at all last night, and yet it was the best day of the season so far!

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 06-Jan-11 20:23:42

My DH is a Man U fan and he was saying the same. Big derby game for us soon, the banter has started!

BelfastBloke Fri 07-Jan-11 07:38:33

Arsenal played brilliantly on Wednesday night; I loved it, I absolutely luvved it.

But we couldn't score, though we hit the post loads of times. I did feel Robin VP was not quite on the same wavelength as all our tiny midfielders supplying him with the ball' I'd have been quite happy to see Chamak come on instead of him, even though he had the best shot of the game.

And the defence I've always been moaning about: I broke my own rule about giving new players (especially French) time to adjust to the Premiership. Robert Pires, Theirry Henry, all took a really long time to adjust, and then came good. Koscielny is now coming good, and I'm more optimistic.

Would hate it if Man U matched our Invincibles season; they've been through their bad patch. Can they go unbeaten like us?

cjdamoo Fri 07-Jan-11 07:41:45

1.Liverpool
2. Mancs
3. 3 outta 4 are liverpool, Ds 3 has been swayed by grandparents and is Arsenal
4. less said the better

cjdamoo Sat 08-Jan-11 17:12:28

The king is back!!!!

CraigRevelPan Sat 08-Jan-11 17:50:44

<snigger>

binx14 Sat 08-Jan-11 17:50:59

liverpool
man u (angry)
all liverppol supporters
bye bye roy hello kenny,now lerts hope the players get motivated and get some decent players in
and yes i know we have been awful but still gonna support them YNWA

CraigRevelPan Sun 09-Jan-11 12:38:02

ok. an hour to k.o. then another a couple of hours to another k.o.....ha.

CraigRevelPan Sun 09-Jan-11 15:33:21

should Gerrard be given a club fine? What little chance they had was stamped away. What was going through his head??

BelfastBloke Sun 09-Jan-11 16:08:29

Sat next to the Leeds fans at Arsenal yesterday. They were singing "ITV is fucking shit", all of them, loud enough to be heard on the TV (I assume).

Had to feed a baby in the last 20 of the ManU L'pool game. Did Owen have much impact? How did he look?

Were the L'pool fans singing, "Where were you for Istanbul?" when he came on?

BelfastBloke Wed 12-Jan-11 19:38:17

Come on you Gunners. Better to have a trophy than not.

Team looks ok tonight, although i would've dropped Arshavin after his nightmare on Sat.

Trublatmill Fri 14-Jan-11 01:17:02

1. Huddersfield Town (Born there but now live in Devon)
2. None really, but Leeds and Bradford are the teams HTFC fans love to hate.
3. Managed to persuade DD to be a mascot for Huddersfield when they came down to play Plymouth quite a few seasons ago but that was as far as it went. DS isn't in to football (@ 13) though I have managed to get him to a few games when HTFC are in the West Country.
4. Desperate for HTFC to gain promotion to the Championship, but they couldn't even increase the scoreline at home after Plymouth were down to 9 men last weekend. However, an away game against Arsenal in the FA Cup in a couple of weeks time could be fun !

Just popping back to have a little gloat to Kendodd and purepuple. By all accounts Notts fully deserved it, bring on Man City grin

(or Leicester, but we don't want to see Saint Sven back at The Lane in the opposition dug out sad)

BelfastBloke Fri 14-Jan-11 07:33:30

(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arse) - BelfastBloke
(a Midlands team) - Truckulent
(Huddersfield Town) - Trublatmill
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Notts County) - Jenniferturkington
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - AVeryMerryPersonalClown
(Sunderland) - KenDoddsDadsDog...
(Sunderland, Blackpool) - Purepurple

BelfastBloke Fri 14-Jan-11 07:38:27

Any bets on what Tottenham will be named in a few years' time?

Stratford Hotspur?
East End Hotspur?
Spurs of Stratford?

BelfastBloke Fri 14-Jan-11 19:15:24
CraigRevelPan Sat 15-Jan-11 18:15:37

that's all a bit sad isn't it? Sad as in really pathetic?

Nonetheless, bring them on tomorrow - United still need about 3 points for guarenteed safety..

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 16-Jan-11 07:53:24

Derby day today!

Pan Sun 16-Jan-11 09:38:29

yes, and time for atonement in the north-east. Or should that be revenge?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 16-Jan-11 09:41:14

Well we did lose to Notts County last week so anything could happen.

BelfastBloke Sun 16-Jan-11 09:48:51

Ah, today's a tasty day of fixtures. But I'm on a family event today and tomorrow, so won't get to see any of them. I'll already know the scores by the time I get to Sky Plussed matches back at my house on Monday night, so looks like MOTD2 will be my main chance to see stuff.

Come on you Spurs against the evil Man United!

Pan Sun 16-Jan-11 09:52:41

<<evil cackle>>

I am with the rest of the country though. IF I wasn't a man u fan, I'd probably hate us too!!

Pan Sun 16-Jan-11 10:05:42

just realised I haven't followed BB's template in his OP:
1. Man U and Scotland
2. Chelsea, Milwall, Leeds - quite like Everton and Sunderland. ( how did you let Jones get away?)
3.dd has nooo interest in footie, though we play in the back garden and she is a mean tackler. She won tickets in a raffle to see a Man city game. But it was a school night so I forbade it.......that was close!
4. Weird season so far. Wilkins fiasco was absurd and there is much more to tell I reckon. Like seeing Harry and Spurs playing such attractive football. We are in an experiemnt to see how badly we can play and still win the tittle again. Nice to see Liverpool struggling above the rel. zone. Europe - not sure at all. WC - obv. open to any purchaser.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 16-Jan-11 10:47:03

Kenwyne Jones?

Pan Sun 16-Jan-11 15:08:22

yes Ken - fabulous player disappeared of the Stoke when I wasn't looking.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 16-Jan-11 16:29:19

Yeah, something went on with Kenwyne & Keane I think. Jones sometimes looked like he didn't want to be there.
Relief more than anything else at a 1 all draw today!

MarsLady Sun 16-Jan-11 16:33:04

1. Which team you support. Tottenham COYS!!!!!!
2. Which team(s) you loathe. Man U COYS!!!!!!
3. How you are getting your kids to follow the correct team. Eldest son brainwashed by godfather so is a Gooner and a Barnet season ticket holder (I'm very proud of that!)
4. A thought on the season so far (Premiership/Championship/Champions’ League/FA Cup/League Cup/(el clasico?)/World Cup bids. Don't think Spurs should move to Olympic stadium. Would block that it I could. Feeling for West Ham... but not too much. Liverpool... what are you on? Dalglish? Really? Qatar? FFS!!!!! And Russia? That'll be good for race relations... NOT.

Pan Sun 16-Jan-11 18:32:45

Well that's two points taken away from a 'pretender'. Back on top with games to spare. Lookin' good.

MarsLady Sun 16-Jan-11 22:25:05

We do not pretend Pan! We are rising to the top! grin

Ohhh can I join your thread.

I'm not a man though - is that ok?

Pan Sun 16-Jan-11 23:28:30

yeah..top of the Fair Play League.....

carmina - you have to pretend to be a man in Dadsnet!!

<< cuts hair & lowers voice >>

No problem - I'll pop in Sunday night for some post action chat

<< puts up poster of Clint Dempsey >>

MarsLady Mon 17-Jan-11 22:04:35

Don't be bitter Pan. COYS!!!!!!

We love Sir Harry and he's doing us proud!

Pan Tue 18-Jan-11 00:11:46

Sunday was good for us! With Brums and B;pool coming up we will pulling away shortly. Admire our heels as you lose sight of them.grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 19-Jan-11 07:19:39

Darren Bent sad

Pan Wed 19-Jan-11 07:47:29

yes, that was a bit of a shocker. Time for Wellbeck and Gyan to step up, and see if Robbie Keane might be on?

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 19-Jan-11 19:35:07

Hope we manage to buy Wellbeck as he's excellent.

BelfastBloke Wed 19-Jan-11 22:08:10

Good win for the Arse tonight. Roll on Huddersfield in the next round.

Arshavin definitely off in the summer: he and the club have fallen out.

Pan Wed 19-Jan-11 22:16:18

Leeds seem to think the ball was a hand grenade. And what WAS the point of Peter's eldest hoofing it into your defence area where the Leeds boys were outnumbered 6 -2? He didn't seem to cotton on either.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 23-Jan-11 07:22:14

Good result for us yesterday. One point behind Chelsea. Who would have thought it!

Saltatrix Sun 23-Jan-11 07:42:32

Yeah I think Arsene should sell bendtner in the summer as well. Arshavin..he can be good but he is just so inconsistent and has a low work rate.

Newcastle were unlucky the conceded a goal in the dying moments again they need to sort that out.

BelfastBloke Sun 23-Jan-11 08:43:18

Walcott was excellent yesterday. Alan Hansen doesn't know what he's talking about, saying Theo doesn't have a football brain. Did they address that on MoTD?

In the North Bank we finally got a song for Marouane Chamakh (from Morocco), which was quite amusing when first sung, but is irritating the more you think about it:

"He isn't white; he isn't black;
He comes from a place not far from Iraq;
He plays up-front, he plays in attack;
He's our mate, Marouane Chamakh."

Surely the second line would make more sense if it was "He comes from a place not far from Rabat", rather than an entirely other continent?

(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arse) - BelfastBloke
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

Pan Sun 23-Jan-11 14:29:38

to update the intel.

Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arse) - BelfastBloke
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo, AND Justine MNHQ
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 23-Jan-11 14:35:45

Purepurple - who did you support yesterday?

BigGitDad Sun 23-Jan-11 15:08:47

Hello thought I would join.I am a big rugby and cricket nut but do follow football as well.
Arsenal
None, as someone else said cannot see the point in hating other teams.
Gentle persuasion. I think dd is safely on the way to being a gooner after a slight mishap where she was looking at going down the Chelski route (one of her best friends supported them)
I think the Arse will probably win the league cup (or whatever it is) and nothing else.

BelfastBloke Mon 24-Jan-11 16:18:52

Richard Keys and Andy Gray are twats.

But how much do you think they should've been disciplined? Suspended for longer? Fired?

BigGitDad Mon 24-Jan-11 17:17:33

I think a months suspension would be reasonable. If you said a sexist comment in the workplace would you be instantly sacked?
I agree though what twats. But to me they are indicative of the idiots you get that are involved in football.

BelfastBloke Tue 25-Jan-11 10:23:31

Could someone clarify to me, or link me to an article which does, HOW this Keys/Gray private conversation was recorded, then leaked to the press?

(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Liverpool) - Justine MNHQ
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

BigGitDad Tue 25-Jan-11 12:21:33

The mic was left on when it should have been off (or so they thought). No one has come forward saying who leaked it but obviously someone who has an agenda, knowing the damage it would cause. You could say the same for Ron Atkinson as well, was that not leaked?

BelfastBloke Wed 26-Jan-11 06:35:26

Have you seen Richard Keys saying "Would you smash it?"

I find it far worse than the video Andy Gray got fired for.

Truckulente Wed 26-Jan-11 07:10:53

I'm not defending Keys, but if secret recordings become common place at work wouldn't a lot of people get into trouble?

Saying things about colleagues or bosses,or something that can offend, it getting recorded and then being anonymously handed over.

I say risqué things at times that I wouldn't want put on YouTube that wouldn't go down well.

They're being slowly stitched up.

BelfastBloke Wed 26-Jan-11 07:41:51

I say plenty of things that I wouldn't want broadcast. Not sure I say them at work, actually, but it's possible, given I work with friends.

But there is the symbolic aspect of this to consider, not just the individual issues. This will be a spur towards a more equal society, which is why Sky is forced to sack them both.

Truckulente Wed 26-Jan-11 09:09:01

I'm seeing the word 'Misogyny' used a lot on here to do with this (and other things)

Has this word changed its meaning or replaced the word sexist?

I always thought Misogyny meant the hatred of women.

BelfastBloke Wed 26-Jan-11 09:48:54

And you don't think calling a woman "it" is about the clearest example of misogyny there could be?

Using "Would you smash it?" to mean "Would you fuck her?"; how can that be anything other than misogynistic?

Truckulente Wed 26-Jan-11 10:37:22

I think it's sexist and seeing women as objects, I don't see it as hatred.

BigGitDad Wed 26-Jan-11 19:26:23

Hearing that Andy Gray has consulted his lawyers has made me wonder of he has a case for wrongful dismissal. After all the video of him were leaked then he was sacked as a result of the leaks. You'd be pretty pissed off if your employer treated you the same way.

Truckulente Wed 26-Jan-11 19:28:41

He was warned about his conduct.
And then sacked about something that happened before he was warned.

He does come out of this as a bit of a knob though.

BigGitDad Wed 26-Jan-11 20:06:01

Absolutely no doubt he has behaved like a knob. But I get a feeling Sky have handled this badly.

gingercat12 Wed 26-Jan-11 20:17:00

1. Birmingham City
2. The Villa and Liverpool
3. Hard when you live in Geordieland, and your son turns out to be a real Geordie.
4. Please, do notget me started...

gingercat12 Wed 26-Jan-11 20:20:16

BelfastBloke My understanding is that Sky wanted to get rid of Andy Gray, so they leaked the tape. Whoever did it was playing with their own job, so must have had the gaffer's consent.

I'll try to remember never to sue the Murdochs.

Truckulente Wed 26-Jan-11 20:26:24

It does like a stitch up.

Truckulente Wed 26-Jan-11 20:27:14

It does look like a stitch up, I mean.

gingercat12 Wed 26-Jan-11 20:29:33

What I would really like to know is why did they tap the phone of this sorry little man when they could just record it all at work?!

Truckulente Wed 26-Jan-11 20:34:45

I'm sure it'll all come out.
Gray will probably end up getting a pay off.
And he'll get another job.
Life's not fair.

LurcioLovesFrankie Wed 26-Jan-11 20:50:47

I think it's possible to agree with BelfastBloke that the recorded conversation was misogynistic and with Truckulente that it was a stitch up - after all, Murdoch and Sky are not known for their deep commitment to feminism and women's rights.

Liverpool, btw! Dunno who DS will end up supporting - Exeter City, poor lad, if he ends up supporting a local team.

Did anyone see the Guardian's interviews with random men-on-the street seeing if any of them could explain the offside rule? Some hilarious stuff there.

Truckulente Wed 26-Jan-11 21:01:24

Exeter have a good rugby team.
I player at their ground once in my youth.

Anyway as a FA qualified coach I made a point of knowing the offside law, it is a bit of a nightmare though.

And we've had some great female refs this season and some crap male ones, I've not heard any sexist comments and if I did I'd soon put them right.

In my experience most footy fans don't know the offside law.

My favourite law is the LBW law in cricket that really sorts out who knows what.

eeore Wed 26-Jan-11 21:08:42

I realise that to defend Gray and keys is heresy, but I do wonder about the culture in which they worked - female presenters in nuts, this kind of conversation being common place - and why a week after Gray threatens to sue them, these tapes start appearing.

As for why they might have tapped his phone - probably because they could. The NOTW was only a bit part player in all of this, it seems the Mirror and the Mail were far more active - seems they were all at it, and if it gets proved they are facing two years in jail - if the police don't lose the file.

Not that that has anything to do with the all the papers inciting the mob

eeore Wed 26-Jan-11 21:09:41

So as Richard Keys might say...

Who's going up and who's going down?

gingercat12 Wed 26-Jan-11 21:10:36

I've seen the interviews grin

As a matter of fact, my top-top favourite team isn't English and neither is the team I hate with a passion.

I would probably have trouble explaining the offside rule in a meaningful way. But I am pretty sure there are many things Iknow better than Mr Gray.

BelfastBloke Thu 27-Jan-11 16:16:59

Hey, congrats Gingercat. See you at Wembley?

Who is the team you hate with a passion? Would that logically reveal your favourite non-English team?

(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Birmingham) - GingerCat12
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Liverpool) - LurcioLovesFrankie
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

Not quite sure what David Lammy put in his tea. I had a quick think about the ramifications of his claim.

Shepherds Bush Rangers
Parsons Green (formerly Fulham)
Fulham (formerly Chelsea)
New Cross (formerly Millwall)
Upton Park United

As for Arsenal, who took their name from being an Army team, I guess they'd have to become "Limited Company" or something.

Crystal Palace could be "burnt greenhouse".

eeore Fri 28-Jan-11 18:51:14

good point.

Does anyone know who is paying for Lammy's proposed legal action? - assuming that he is just doing it for the publicity.

BelfastBloke Sat 29-Jan-11 08:54:36

Arsenal weren't exactly an army team, they were a munitions factory team, a works team from the Royal Arsenal, which is what they were called before they moved.

When they moved, they moved into Highbury and Islington, so surely that's what they should be called under David Lammy's claim?

Article about David Lammy's proposed legal action here. It's the same one I posted earlier in the thread.

Truckulente Sat 29-Jan-11 11:21:36

Should the newly enlightened Sky Sports stop doing the Soccer AM Soccerette feature?

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 29-Jan-11 14:19:23

Message withdrawn

Truckulente Sat 29-Jan-11 15:29:09

Oi! I hope you're not poaching, there's hardly enough men on Dadsnet as it is.

And I reckon some of them could be posing as hairy-handed truckers, and are really women.

eeore Sat 29-Jan-11 17:46:40

I wonder why there aren't many men?

Pan Sat 29-Jan-11 23:07:52

ah, so that's why they are called Arsenal. Thanks truck.

so few men? It's probably the site title, self-image, and poss. getting a challenging reception when they do post if it isn't couched in a way palatable to a few other female posters. It can get a bit steamy in here, but in a bad way. We can run like startled fawns round here.

eeore Sat 29-Jan-11 23:35:01

Sounds like that 70's drama Star Maidens.

The argument seems to be that "Tottenham Hotspur FC" as a trade mark could potentially be revoked because it misleads the public into believing the club to have a geographical connection with Tottenham.

If it was revoked, then some other outfit could presumably muscle in and trademark (for example) "Tottenham FC"

Seems a bit far-fetched. How many people are likely to believe on the basis of the trade mark that Tottenham Hotspur play in Tottenham? Hardly anyone I imagine. In any event, the club would still retain a historical link to Tottenham.

Surely a better thing to do is demolish the stadium and offer the Olympics to some other city like Mogadishu. Tottenham can stay in Tottenham, West Ham can stay in West Ham, and the UK can save the money.

belfastboy,

Thanks for the correction.

Yes, someone could litigate against Arsenal on the same basis, ie, their name erroneously suggests an association with munitions. I don't suppose its possible for a trade mark not to mislead anyone, ever, on any basis. I imagine that it has to be something pretty substantial, e.g. a trademark such as "Savile Row Suits" owned and used by a discount store.

BelfastBloke Sun 30-Jan-11 06:56:24

So, Shineon, where's my email then? And how did you like your visit to the furthest reaches, the darkest corner, of Mumsnet?

Have I just been called "Truck" by Pan and "Belfastboy" by Toad?

Truckulente Sun 30-Jan-11 09:05:30

BB- I hope you took that as a compliment.

We lost 3-2 yesterday, 2-0 up as well.

Pan Sun 30-Jan-11 10:48:26

friend of mine is a Coventry boy - he reckons they didn't recognise being 2-0 up against anyone, got a figurative nose bleed and that was that for them.

Utd - it was so cruel to give those Southamption fans a sense of hope when we all knew the inevitability of it all...

Pan Sun 30-Jan-11 10:50:49

sorry about the id thing BB.

off to Chill Factore at Trff centre for dd's eleventieth birthday - an afternoon of slithering down a slope on a plastic tubing bit...fun.

Truckulente Sun 30-Jan-11 11:01:47

Sky Blues till I die, don't live in Cov anymore though, horrible place.

Pan Sun 30-Jan-11 17:26:54

'swot my friend says about the place - a total hole. Used to know someone else from Cov. and he had the same view. But he was gay, growing up in 1960's Coventry. He stood nooo chance. Derby gets the same deal from Derbyites.

eeore Sun 30-Jan-11 20:10:39

If you ever get trapped in a conversation about which is the best league in the world, this blog posting might be handy... http://footballmanagement.wordpress.com/

Clubs were compensated at a rate of $1600 per day for releasing their players for the World Cup, with the result that English teams recieved the most money, a little over £3.8million.

Pan Sun 30-Jan-11 22:02:35

Crumbs. Bring on the mighty Crawley Town at O.T.

FA Cup. Dontcha just love it??!!

BelfastBloke Sun 30-Jan-11 23:05:47

Watching the FA Cup on ITV, but not really paying attention. Watching the team in white scoring for fun, I figured it was Spurs, and only 3 goals in did I realise Fulham were destroying them.

(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

BelfastBloke Sun 30-Jan-11 23:37:45

Obviously happy to be through to the next round, but gutted to have lost Nasri, the best player in the league so far this season.

However, I never like to see a penalty where the striker stops in his run-up, to see which way the goalie is tending. The sainted Fabregas stopped twice before scoring our pen. Is that against the rules, or not?

Pan Sun 30-Jan-11 23:46:20

could be. Ungentlemanly conduct is the sin code it would come under, though I have never seen it used recently. Universal recognition it wasn't a penalty in the first place.

eeore Sun 30-Jan-11 23:57:06

Well you need a bit of luck in the season, and with Arsenal's fixture list they couldn't afford a replay.

The question is can they win all four trophies?

Pan Sun 30-Jan-11 23:59:49

and the answer is 'no'.smile

over-reliant on Fab Fab. Dodgy goalie. Not enough grit. Too much style:substance ratio. Easy to 'get at' because they don't seem to have a Plan B ever, unlike Utd.

eeore Mon 31-Jan-11 00:16:07

It'd be funny if they did... after all the flack they have taken over not winning anything... and get excited over getting the to League Cup final.

eeore Mon 31-Jan-11 00:16:48

Especially as they have Pat from Eastenders as an their assistant manager.

Pan Mon 31-Jan-11 00:25:20

Pat. Ha!

weeell, they can have the Egg Cup bless 'em. Just nothing else.smile

eeore Mon 31-Jan-11 00:44:38

I'm still not convinced that we are not looking at 1986 all over again.

A very long shot I know.

But the omen's are there... Dalglish in charge, the worst Liverpool team that Hanson can remember, a topsy turvy league....

Pan Mon 31-Jan-11 00:47:58

what happened then? Iam too young....

eeore Mon 31-Jan-11 00:59:55

Women linesmen eh?

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae325/Mike90215 /YeahButNoButShopped.jpg?t=1296078270

eeore Mon 31-Jan-11 01:09:31

Pictures courtesy of redandwhitekop.com

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7301/httpimg20i mageshackusim.jpg

Pan Mon 31-Jan-11 17:42:35

Wow. Carroll on his way to Liverpool!!

eeore - do you want a hand to get those links up?

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 01-Feb-11 18:40:40

Message withdrawn

BelfastBloke Tue 01-Feb-11 23:15:35

Just back from Arsenal, where the ref and the linesman allowed a clearly offside goal for Everton.

The crowd, when we weren't swearing our heads off at the ref, were singing,

"Get a woman, get a woman, get a woman on the line! Get a woman on the line..."

eeore Wed 02-Feb-11 01:14:37

Still on for the quadrupal then?

BelfastBloke Wed 02-Feb-11 08:18:42

Oh, yes. Fully confident of beating Barcelona, home and away...!

(That was sarcastic)

Who do you support, eeore?

BelfastBloke Sat 05-Feb-11 07:00:32

12.45 Stoke City v Sunderland
15.00 Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers
15.00 Manchester City v West Brom
15.00 Aston Villa v Fulham
15.00 Everton v Blackpool
15.00 Newcastle United v Arsenal
15.00 Tottenham Hotspur v Bolton Wanderers
17.30 Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United

DanFmDorking Sun 06-Feb-11 00:35:42

Why can't Arsene Wenger sing?
'cause he can't hold the toon!

For all you lot thinking that Newcastle didn't spend anything in the January transfer window, you were wrong !
Personally, I think Phil Dowd is an excellent edition to their squad.

BristolJim Sun 06-Feb-11 06:39:03

Just thought I'd mention the stunning 5-1 away from home for the mighty Tigers!

This season might be a bit of a stretch for a play-off push, but we're going to smash it next season!

DanFmDorking Sun 06-Feb-11 12:29:02

1 Aresnal (4-4 sob!)
2 None
3 We all support Arsenal then follow Liverpool
4 I hope we get some silver this season.

BelfastBloke Wed 09-Feb-11 12:24:38

Anyone interested in the Denmark England game tonight? Gooners are certainly curious to see how Jack Wilshire does, given that Capello sounds like he's going to place loads of responsibility on his shoulders.

And we're playing against Nicolas Bendtner. "We've got the best player, in his head..."

(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - DanFmDorking
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Hull) - Bristol Jim????
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

Truckulente Wed 09-Feb-11 19:20:54

Watching it now.

Truckulente Wed 09-Feb-11 19:24:14

Walcott should have scored then.

BelfastBloke Wed 09-Feb-11 20:49:29

1-2 ! looks nice, if not convincing.

Pan Wed 09-Feb-11 20:51:34

in his head. Very funny.

and Scotland are 2 up. Dizzy heights for us.

bobbyzee Thu 10-Feb-11 13:36:23

Hello - new bloke here so I thought I would start off on safe ground.

Bradford City for my sins. Peter Taylor is managing to squeeze what love I have left for my club out of me with his garbage football.

Leeds Utd, Huddersfield (local rivals and my misspent youth) and not overly keen on Man Utd (corporate whores) and Tottenham (due to Harry Redknapp's cheeky chappiness)

For my oldest boy it was easy - we were in the Premier League and the glory of playing top teams every week was a real draw. He lost interest in football when we returned to our ususal crapness.

My youngest boy is a fan (though if he was given a choice I am sure we would be at The Emirates every week).

Daughter will watch the Champions League and important England matches, but otherwise not interested.

4. A thought on the season so far (Premiership/Championship/Champions’ League/FA Cup/League Cup/(el clasico?)/World Cup bids.

Premier League - hotting up nicely. Nice to see Kenny Dalglish (a boyhood hero) back at Anfield.

Championship - praying for Leeds to stumble. wink

League Two - rubbish

Pan Thu 10-Feb-11 20:34:34

evening bobby, and welcome!

I support the corporate whores ( and I accept that observation!), but we do have common ground on hoping Leeds crawl back under a stone....

and yes gud t osee KD back, as long as he isn't too successful..

BelfastBloke Fri 11-Feb-11 07:56:19

Awright bobby, thanks for posting. Your youngest son sounds eminently sensible to me.

I sat next to the Leeds fans at Arsenal for the FA cup game. They were singing "ITV is fucking shit", all of them, loud enough to be heard on the TV (I assume).

So Leeds aren't all bad.

BelfastBloke Fri 11-Feb-11 07:57:34

(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - DanFmDorking
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Bradford City) - bobbyzee
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Hull) - Bristol Jim????
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

PadDad Fri 11-Feb-11 10:54:13

Yet another Gooner here. Sorry. I suppose it just means they're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen.

I've changed my opinion, and my practice. I used to support any other team in the Champ's Lg against Chavski and ManUre, but now I will support any English club (even Spurs) in Europe. I suppose the only team I really hate is the fascist Lazio.

The usual - Arsenal babygrows; teaching them the songs; making them realise that Toy Story 3 is switched off for Sky Sports super soaraway Sunday; changing the lyrics to nursery rhymes ("The wheels on the bus go round and round, Robbie Kean's a pikey", "If you hate Tott'nam Hotspur clap your hands".

We're going to get obliterated by Barcelona, with our defence. There's a chance of keeping up with ManUre, given a bit of luck and other teams stepping up.

MavisEnderby Fri 11-Feb-11 11:00:29

Oh good a footy thread can I join

Team-Nottingham Forest (Come on you Tricky Trees).Am reduced to watching Hull City though,sons team (very disappointed couldn't indoctrinate him)

Teams I loathe DERBY of course,lol:O 5-2 5-2 5-2!!!!

Not keen on Man U or Leeds much either.

How to get kids to follow your team.Sadly a lost cause.He is a Tiger.Look out on March 5th though,son!

Season so far...Premiership here we come!

Iliad Fri 11-Feb-11 13:29:30

1. Middlesbrough

2. Chelsea because it's as if they were playing a computer game and used the cheat code for infinite money.

3. I'll let you know when he shows an interest.

4. Not going so well at the moment, should never have sacked Southgate when they did and we wouldn't be in this situation, hoping next season Mowbray will get us back up.

BelfastBloke Fri 11-Feb-11 13:33:51

Pan, looks like you're still the sole representative of the Evil Empire.

(Arsenal) - PadDad
(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - DanFmDorking
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Hull) - Bristol Jim????
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Middlesbrough) - Iliad
(Nott'm Forest) - MavisEnderby
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

eeore Sat 12-Feb-11 00:26:31

I'll conform

1) Norwich
2) Ipshit, and presently West Ham.
3) His mum supports Spurs so I guess the correct team would be Arsenal. As for my opinion I don't care who he supports as long as it isn't the team who happens to be winning. Norwich would be nice, but I suspect social services might get involved if I tried to inflict that on them.
4)It's a pity Dalgliesh has revived Liverpool because it would be good for football if they went down. Ferguson has done well to get the best out of the knockings at United, but he should retire. Paul Lambert is God.

Truckulente Sat 12-Feb-11 14:23:38

What a goal!! Rooney!!

Pan Sat 12-Feb-11 14:59:56

heard it on my car radio. ( well, not actually heard 'it', just the commentary....). It's A Beautiful Day in Evil Winning Empire land,BB!

So it's all back on the Arse now. Best wishes...

BelfastBloke Sat 12-Feb-11 16:09:47

Bollocks. Sweet strike by rooney, though.

Having watched the derby in a fake irish pub attached to a hotel, i am now going to stay away from the other scores until match of the day.

Pls don't tell me beforehand.

chippy47 Sat 12-Feb-11 16:39:28

1.PNE

2. Lasher scum= Blackpool

3. 2dcs-have not quite got football yet but we are a long way from Deepdale so guessing a prem team will get them before PNE do.

4. Shocking season so far and not getting any better this afternoon

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 12-Feb-11 17:01:09

15 mins to kick off! DH very happy thanks to Rooney. What a goal.

MavisEnderby Sat 12-Feb-11 18:33:10

Chippy,my Hull City supporting son says "sorry".He just got back from KC.

Fingers and toes crossed for Forest against QPR tommorow

chippy47 Sat 12-Feb-11 18:50:35

Mavis-pretty sure he is not that sorry to get one over an ex-manager! Sounded like we got what we deserved. Nothing!

MavisEnderby Sat 12-Feb-11 19:58:34

Nevermind chippy.

KDDD have just seen Rooneys goal.Sheer brilliance even though am not big Shrek fan.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 12-Feb-11 20:00:37

I'm sulking after a 2 1 defeat. sad

Pan Sat 12-Feb-11 23:10:03

have very clear memories of Denis Law knocking them in a la Rooney, cpet with a bit more consistency.....

KDDD - not a good result.

eeore Sat 12-Feb-11 23:23:26

chippy47

Preston's season is a bit baffling, but if it's any consolation winning in the Div 1 is better than losing week after week in the Championship.

Pan Sun 13-Feb-11 13:18:48
MavisEnderby Sun 13-Feb-11 14:03:09

Nailbiting.

Down to 10 men,just got equaliser.

(Note to self,never do ironing whilst listening to match on radio.If team equalise you may accidentally burn self whilst celebrating goal.)

eeore Sun 13-Feb-11 18:52:12

MavisEnderby

The best result for all the top clubs I thought.

BelfastBloke Tue 15-Feb-11 13:51:27

Anyone know what channel the Spurs match is on tonight?

Pan Tue 15-Feb-11 14:47:44

sky sports 2

Pan Tue 15-Feb-11 21:53:44

Excellent result!! Well done 'arry.

BelfastBloke Wed 16-Feb-11 00:00:31

Midnight. Settling down to watch the highlights with some whiskey after a long day.

Pan Wed 16-Feb-11 00:05:12

my money would be on Big Joe Jordan. Gattuso hasn't seen him angry and without his teeth.

BelfastBloke Wed 16-Feb-11 00:22:40

God I love Peter Crouch. I've always loved Gattuso as well - he's making me laugh tonight.

chippy47 Wed 16-Feb-11 16:03:20

Another draw snatched from the jaws of victory for PNE. Not looking good at all.

BelfastBloke Thu 17-Feb-11 12:17:38

Ahem.

Pan Thu 17-Feb-11 20:39:47

I know!! Well done you lot!! In some places you out Barca'd Barca.
But, I am checking out of this Hotel California tonight, as it seems is trucky. Even the tumbleweed might not bother blowing through!
take care yourself.

BelfastBloke Thu 17-Feb-11 22:52:52

Cheers for letting us know. 'S'bin emotional.

BelfastBloke Tue 08-Mar-11 16:42:00

So here it is - big night for Arsenal in the Champions' League away to Barcelona, but without Walcott or Song (our best hope for fast counterattacks and our best defensive midfielder).

We have 2 goals, but they have an away goal. Thank god we've probably got Fabregas and possibly Van Persie after a miserable time since we gloriously beat them at home.

(Arsenal) - PadDad
(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - DanFmDorking
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Hull) - Bristol Jim????
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Middlesbrough) - Iliad
(Norwich) - Eeore
(Preston North End) - Chippy47
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

I don't expect to win, really, but I do know we can score over there, which will make it a fascinating night. But Barca are brilliant.

Will the other footy fans on this thread be supporting the Arse tonight?

MavisEnderby Tue 08-Mar-11 16:45:32

i am still reeling from Forests shock defeat by Hull City (yes,ds,thats 1-0 for the millionth timewink)

Will be supporting the Arse though,mainly cos db lives within 5 mins walk of their stadium (tenuous link)

eeore Tue 08-Mar-11 20:36:15

Will the other footy fans on this thread be supporting the Arse tonight?

Probably not.... the sooner Wenger is out of English football the better...

SalandersBro Tue 08-Mar-11 21:04:04

i will support Arsenal - Wenger has been a real tonic to the premier league, and has brought in some great players in his time. his teams should get some recognition silverware-wise for all of that investment in gorgeous football.

givemesomespace Tue 08-Mar-11 21:48:01

Must say I was supporting the Arse - to no avail

Could think of others I'd much rather see out of English Football than Wenger

SoulDude Tue 08-Mar-11 21:51:37

how long will Arsenal supporters put up with living on memories?

givemesomespace Tue 08-Mar-11 21:57:19

Do they still have the dates of all their silverware plastered all over the Emirates? It's getting a bit embarrassing now given this rather extended dry spell.

MavisEnderby Tue 08-Mar-11 21:57:32

living on memories is serving some of us who support lesser teams very well thank you very much.

<<<channels Brian Clough>>>

Ah 1979,THOSE were the Glory Days.

(Stifles tear and starts singing "We've got the whole world in our hands")

What is it with the anti Wenger stuff?I quite like him.He is very Gallic and wears lovely suits.Not quite as chic as Mourhinio(sp) but ho hum.

givemesomespace Tue 08-Mar-11 22:21:19

Try supporting Brighton & Hove Albion - our home ground is on the athletics track where I did my school sports days......

Still this season's mot too bad

eeore Tue 08-Mar-11 23:27:16

Wooot - Norwich won... it's all getting very tight at the top. And QPR lost...

BelfastBloke Wed 09-Mar-11 08:03:09

Gutted and outraged that Robin Van Persie was sent off for scoring a goal because he hadn't heard the offside whistle! Not saying we weren't completely dominated by Barca. Just saying that we were winning the tie at that point (it was 1-1, and that would have seen us through).

So, out of the Carling Cup, out of the Champion's League. On Sat we will probably get knocked out of the FA Cup!

That's 12 March: ITV1 in England is showing the FA Cup game between Manchester Utd and Arsenal, at 430pm or 5pm.

Does anyone know will this be shown in Scotland? How do I check?

eeore Wed 09-Mar-11 11:23:27

BelfastBloke - are you really surprised at the referee?

The fact is Inter were in pretty much the same position last year, but the diference is that Mourinho understands how to organise a team.

Still there is some poetic justice in Wenger having a go at the ref the past two games - since he never usually sees such things.

BelfastBloke Wed 09-Mar-11 11:27:20

I am surprised at the referee, eeore. RvP was focussing on scoring; I'm pretty certain he didn't hear the whistle with 95000 screaming, and he didn't know he was offside as it was marginal.

You give people a yellow for kicking the ball away in petulance, after they realise they're offside. Not for a striker doing his job.

eeore Wed 09-Mar-11 20:43:19

Yeah but Barcelona have 100,000 crowd, and there is a bias toward the home team the bigger the crowd and also in terms of the reputation of the club - you see it in the PL with Man Utd - remember back in the 90's when they went something like 5 seasons without having a penalty against them at Old Trafford?

It is daft that Wenger and Nasri have been charged over their comments.

BelfastBloke Wed 09-Mar-11 22:15:31

Congrats to Spurs.
Of course they were singing "Are you watching, Arsenal?", just like we would be.

My Spurs mate was supporting the Arse yesterday, and I was supporting Spurs tonight.

SoulDude Wed 09-Mar-11 22:25:09

well done the Spurs. really are a euro-team now. Sandro was a tower, saw everything develop and just stepped in.

BelfastBloke Wed 16-Mar-11 19:53:12

So ManUre are through. I didn't see it. And this Chelsea Champs League match should be a formality, surely?

What's happening in the lower tiers?

The Guardian football podcast sent someone to see an amateur team which has the oldest player in football. It's the tenth tier of English Footy, and this team has a 75-yr-old, a 70-year-old, and a 65-yr-old, as well as a couple of 18yr-olds. They lose by loads every week. The Guardian journalist described the team's attack as 'toothless'.

Rohanda Thu 17-Mar-11 00:18:19

Saw ManU. Usual thing where they score early then sit back like "our work is done". Well, no it isn't. Still play poorly and still win.

Chelski - saw nothing of it - am told it was duller than dull.

I want t osupport the oldies team! Toothless maybe but they have a nasty suck.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 20-Mar-11 14:09:08

Bloody linesman angry

BelfastBloke Thu 07-Apr-11 08:31:11

Champions' League (see what I did there with the apostrophe, UEFA?)

Half way through the Quarter-Finals, and it looks like the Semi-Finals are going to be:
1. Barcelona vs Real Madrid
2. Shalke vs Chelsea or ManUtd

I've tried to summon enthusiasm for supporting the English teams, but out of those five, I'd still prefer Barcelona to win the competition.

Bassett22 Thu 07-Apr-11 10:26:56

My order of preference to win it is:

Barcelona
Schalke
Chelsea
Real Madrid
United

I don't get why people would support a team in Europe just because they're English. Seems somewhat hypocritical given that you hope they fail in the other 50-odd games of the season.

BelfastBloke Thu 07-Apr-11 12:29:27

Bassett, that's pretty much my order of preference too.

Supporting a team because they're English makes a sort of sense, because of the UEFA allocations to countries. There's been a couple of seasons where Arsenal've been glad England has 4 CL spots, not 3. And of course one errant season there were 5 (when L'pool won the thing, but then didn't qualify in the top 4).

Isn't it Italy who've just had their spots reduced from 4 to 3, at the expense of Germany?

BelfastBloke Wed 13-Apr-11 20:09:34

Spurs need at least 4, but 25 min into the game are playing pretty well. So far.

Real Madrid are better than them as players, man for man, but one or two of them look like they could be nervous.

BelfastBloke Wed 13-Apr-11 21:04:02

After that fumble from their goalie Spurs now need 6 in 30 min.

bye bye Spurs.

Come on Schalke against ManUtd

Oblomov Wed 13-Apr-11 21:38:11

Spurs fan here. Hardly surprising , was it ?
Serves them right. And I think they may have already scuppered their chances, in the Premiership, of getting into champions league next season.
Dh is the devoted fan. And wull hear nothing of what I say, but I think I speak sense.

UrbanDad Wed 20-Apr-11 00:15:33

1. Yawn
2. Yawn
3. Yawn
4. Yawn
[shakes head mournfully at lost hours spent in the company of sports bores and goes off for a run]

eeore Sat 23-Apr-11 01:24:51

5-1 - 9-2

On the ball city... never mind the danger....

Who's the pride of Anglia? Norwich... Norwich....

ledkr Sat 23-Apr-11 19:08:54

I LOVE KENNY DALGLISH grin

eeore Sun 24-Apr-11 04:05:40

I do have to say that having rewatched Billy Davis's comments after the Norwich game, that in the perfect world the three promoted teams will be Norwich, QPR and Forest.

The last thing the Premier League needs is Cardiff.

BelfastBloke Sun 24-Apr-11 11:01:20

QPR didn't quite clinch promotion this weekend, did they? Are they likely to soon, or did other results change things?

purepurple Sun 24-Apr-11 11:09:52

I'd forgotten about this thread grin
But, bloody hell Sunderland actually won a game and scored 4 goals shock How did that happen?

BelfastBloke Mon 25-Apr-11 07:45:39

Losing to Bolton and out of the title race. If Arsenal beat Man Utd on Sunday it will only help Chelsea, not ourselves.

jetgirl Mon 25-Apr-11 08:11:17

Hello!
I'm a Saints fan. I loathe P*mpey and Man Utd. Both my kids were given Saints kits from a very early age (dh is a Birmingham city fan but we live in Southampton so I win).
I am loving the season and hoping for automatic promotion this season as I can't cope with the stress of playoffs!

BelfastBloke Tue 26-Apr-11 08:00:06

(Arsenal) - PadDad
(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - DanFmDorking
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Brighton & Hove Albion) - GiveMeSomeSpace
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Hull) - BristolJim????
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Middlesbrough) - Iliad
(Norwich) - Eeore
(Southhampton) - JetGirl
(Spurs) - Oblomov
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

BelfastBloke Mon 02-May-11 12:00:04

Osama bin Laden used to go to watch Arsenal when he was living in London. Arsenal fans had chants about it. The USA have killed a Gooner.

Arsenal beat Man Utd yesterday, but it's too little, too late for the title. Only really helps Chelsea.

eeore Tue 03-May-11 02:23:24

Ole Ole ole ole going up up up....

Paul Lambert's green and yellow army....

On the ball city, never mind the danger, steady on, now's your chance, HURRAH, we've scored a goal.... CITY....

BelfastBloke Wed 04-May-11 19:22:14

Congrats Eeore.

Now to decide, while I'm bundling the kids to bed quick, whether to watch the Man Utd Schalke game live, or to watch Real Madrid Barca recorded from last night (don't tell me the score, tho I know the overall outcome.

eeore Fri 06-May-11 02:30:43

Thanks BelfastBloke.

It's strange really.... it's been a long time since Norwich had a manager who build a team... and even more strange.... a winning team.

I guess we shall see what happens next season.... top 4 will do me... lol

NimpyWindowmash Sat 07-May-11 22:12:40

I've got a ticket to the FA Cup Final smilesmilesmilesmilesmile
Now come on you Potters

MavisEnderby Wed 11-May-11 13:58:17

Babysitter booked.Am off to pub tommorow night to watch the team in round one of the Playoffs.Come on you Tricky Trees!!

BelfastBloke Wed 11-May-11 18:08:54

Yeah, I've got no particular love for the Welsh, but would be quite happy if Reading made it back into the Prem.

Forest are a proper club, though.

unknownrebelbang Thu 12-May-11 20:07:50

Me too Nimpy! Up the Potters!

MavisEnderby Sat 14-May-11 15:50:43

Come on Stoke!!!

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 14-May-11 15:59:16

<sings Delilah>

MavisEnderby Tue 17-May-11 01:40:33

Gutted.That third goal!!!We weren't good enough but battling second half.NEXT YEAR WE WILL DO IT...ever optimistic...

DanFmDorking Wed 18-May-11 12:15:39
eeore Thu 19-May-11 21:08:01

Bad luck Mavis... I was really hoping Forest would do it.

BelfastBloke Fri 20-May-11 13:17:09

Come on Reading!

eeore Sun 22-May-11 15:36:24

Apparently the announcement of who has been relegated is subject to a super injunction - and further, it is forbidden to ever talk about Ryan Giggs scoring.

BelfastBloke Sun 22-May-11 17:54:45

Relegation Sunday: it's been a twisty turny thing!

And Citeh have beaten Arsenal to the third Champs Lg spot: we may have to beat some club like Bayern Munich in the playoff leg - which I certainly wouldn't bet on.

AwesomePan Sat 28-May-11 15:08:14

<ahem>
Man U vs Barcelona.

Thoughts? Due in the pub in about 4 hrs.

United will drown Barca in the first 30 mins. Put them under pressure and see how they respond, other than rolling around on the floor.

AwesomePan Sat 28-May-11 16:39:39

What? Not even Belfast 'TheVoice of Reason' Bloke with an opinion?

AwesomePan Sat 28-May-11 18:58:36

ok - off to pub with my Coventry City mate. Tells me barca is just like watching Coventry....hmm

foxinsocks Sat 28-May-11 19:04:29

is that the real Pan?

even though I am cfc to the core, I am hoping Man U win tonight. Nothing I'd like more than to see those smug barca lot be done over.

Thenextstage Sat 28-May-11 20:51:01

Why are the ITV commentators supporting Barcelona?

BelfastBloke Sat 28-May-11 21:58:33

Sorry, Pan, I wasn't able to check into MN until right now.

Have just watched the game; glad Barca won. I was fairly sure they would, even though it made a better narrative if Man U won. But this Man U side hasn't been spectacular this season at all, even if congrats are in order for them winning the Prem.

And Barca HAVE been brilliant this season, and were again tonight.

AwesomePan Sat 28-May-11 22:36:12

Hello, BB!

yes fox, hello you. done lots in rl, but wished to say hi on this momentous evening...

Well, that was close wasn't it?

to be honest am still in shock. My local red pub holds about 250. You could have heard a shiny pin drop for the 2 hrs of torture.

MavisEnderby Sat 28-May-11 22:39:52

Close????I think Manchester United were totally outclassed,sorry!

(Bitter my-team-couldn't-even-make-the-Premiership-footy-fan here) grin

Seriously,Barcelona are an awesome team and don't see many teams surpassing them.

Theres always next yearsmile

AwesomePan Sat 28-May-11 22:43:35

mavis, I was being horribly sarcastic, and of course you are right. Can't remember a more one-sided ECL final. Other than 2 years ago.......

I remember the Brazil team ( just) of 1970 World Cup. And these Catalans could have outplayed even them.

shock hasn't lifted yet. Nice cup of tea.

MavisEnderby Sat 28-May-11 22:48:01

It could be worse,Pan.My son is a Hull City fan and despite supporting another team in the same division I have just paid out £400+ for a Tigers season ticket for us both so we can go watch them next season.Now THAT is what devoted parenting is all about,lol!

Nice cup of tea several beers definitely in order.

Rooneys goal was good though!

AwesomePan Sat 28-May-11 22:57:57

you're not wrong about the devoted parenting thing! I do hope he appreciates your sacrifice.smile

we had 4 beers in total, and are solidly sober.

Rooney's goal - yes, well taken even though Giggs was off-side for the assist.

It all looked so hopeful at 7.45pm, and for a few minutes afterwards. Even when we equalised Barca were totally unfazed.

AwesomePan Sat 28-May-11 22:59:26

BB- Arsenal imploded rather spectacularly, n'est-ce pas? That Carling Cup final was poison to you both.

BelfastBloke Sat 28-May-11 23:03:52

Oh yeah, implosion for sure. But we knew it was going to happen as soon as he didn't buy anyone at Christmas, because the exact same thing has happened the last few years.

Things will change this summer, because lots will leave. Denilson says he's leaving because he's 'a winner' and Arsenal aren't winning things. We're not winning because HE was in the Squad!

Now look, Pan, you've got me all worked up on a nice evening.

AwesomePan Sat 28-May-11 23:12:07

sorry BB.

You missed Vermailen A LOT, though few people seem to mention this. Cesc will no doubt be on his way. Nani has been sold to Juventus, Iam informed, and the Neville game last week was part of the deal. Giggs and Scholes are now def. past it. New goalie, Evra is on his way. Apparently. Going to be a v. busy summer for all.

eeore Sun 29-May-11 18:44:18

Swansea or Reading?

Difficult to choose, both very good teams.

DanFmDorking Mon 06-Jun-11 20:42:57

Apparently when they buried Bin Laden at sea they put him in a West Ham shirt so that he would stay on the bottom !

Just bought a Premiership tool box, although there are no hammers in it!!

BelfastBloke Mon 27-Jun-11 16:57:24

So is anyone watching the Women's World Cup?

England v Mexico is just kicking off now.

The Guardian has had quite a lot of articles about this, but when you look at 'Today's Fixtures' on their website, it says 'no matches today'.

BelfastBloke Mon 27-Jun-11 17:08:54

England getting better after a nervy start.

Lots of Arsenal players on this England team.

BelfastBloke Mon 27-Jun-11 18:49:35

Mexico 1-1 England. Very poor.

That was just like watching England.

BelfastBloke Sat 09-Jul-11 19:01:47

England 1-1 France. Quarter finals. End of full time, 30 mins of extra time to come - followed by pens?

France is on top, dominating the play and with a late equaliser.

Caron1968 Fri 15-Jul-11 08:32:38

1. Man City
2. Man Utd (scum), Spurs
3. Regular beatings (Unbridled enthusiasm from me about City really)
4. Looking forward to the new season. Think we will be in the top three, probably second but it will be a close run thing.

eeore Mon 15-Aug-11 21:06:22

League 1 to top 6 in 2 seasons... ;-)

OTBC

RedDad Fri 09-Sep-11 15:12:18

1. Liverpool fan
2. Man U & Chelsea
3. She has 3 kits & my family willing her on!
4. LFC looking good, best transfer window in a long time with good signings & losing the dross.

Pan Sat 10-Sep-11 13:49:49

Recap:
1.Manchester United
2. Chelsea, Millwall.
3. dd knows nothing about football, so likes Arsenal.
4. Looking good so far. Infact pretty good. Normally we are slow out of the blocks and pick up with winning gallop about Feb. And the CL draw is a kind one.....

Pan Tue 13-Sep-11 21:53:16

And Arsenal manage to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory....

and Barca are out of the qualifying places in their group!

BelfastBloke Wed 14-Sep-11 12:56:33

I can't tell you how many times, on Friday and Saturday, the Arsenal blogs and Arsenal fans said, "The season starts here!"

By that measure, I'm pretty pleased with the season so far. Beating Swansea and drawing against the German Champions in our first Champs League game last night.

Everything before that seems a distant memory.

I dimly recall the days when we didn't have a 6foot6 defender and our captain was Cesc somebody.

And I can't remember the last time we visited Old Trafford.

BelfastBloke Fri 16-Sep-11 20:33:20

WHO IS STILL WITH US FOR THE 11/12 SEASON?

(Arsenal) - PadDad
(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - DanFmDorking
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Hull) - BristolJim????
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Liverpool) - RedDad
(Man Citeh) - Caron1968
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Middlesbrough) - Iliad
(Norwich) - Eeore
(Southhampton) - JetGirl
(Spurs) - Oblomov
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

GiveMeSomeSpace Fri 16-Sep-11 21:06:02

7 games in and the season's looking good. Seagulls flying high at the top of the Championship - amazing what having our own stadium can do!!

Pan Sat 17-Sep-11 10:05:21

yeah GMSS - that was a very long time coming, wasn't it! But good for yous now - I had an ex- who was a Sheff Utd supporter and I popped along to Bramhall Lane a few times. The Championship really is a tough place isn't it?

Interesting weekend coming up? To see how our young bucks deal with Chelski for instance. And how well Citeh respond to the hangover of a European night.

BB - I'm happy to share the faulty memory thing - nuff said. Still odd being the only Utd fan amongst so many.

BelfastBloke Sat 17-Sep-11 14:28:02

Very interesting weekend coming up. I'm watching Blackburn Arsenal now, on a slight Sky+ delay because of my much-needed nap.

But I am hoping to see the Sunday games. I always like watching Spurs, and Chelski-ManU should be fascinating.

GiveMeSomeSpace Sat 17-Sep-11 15:12:20

Pan - Yep, the Championship is tough. Not sure how anyone is going to cope with your boys on current form. Rooney's on fire. Not sure I understand where Villas-Boas is coming from when he says it isn't an important game. I know he's taking pressure off himself but, come on...........

BB I was about to comment on your result - but then noted that you're on Sky+ delay. Let us know when you're finished! Wouldn't want to spoil it.

Pan Sat 17-Sep-11 15:24:55

yes BB - we await.

GMSS - I'm not sure of V-B's wisdom in valueing Terry and Lampard in a game like this one - I think they will look like statues when ran at by the MUFC Relay Team.

BelfastBloke Sat 17-Sep-11 16:14:57

Very kind of you to wait - to hear me say bollocks bollocks bollocks.

We scored two own goals, and they scored an offside goal.

I do like some of our new players though. The Brazillian left-back Santos was anonymous in his first start, but Gervinho and Arteta are class acts.

Pan Sat 17-Sep-11 16:33:34

yes, it looks like Arteta should have been swooped for a v. long time ago, and not as an act of desparation in the final minutes.

Also thought Scott Parker should have gone to the Emirates. Was half-hoping we would have snagged him a couple of years ago, for the Roy Keane role, but obv. The Wizard didn't see him in the grand design.

Is it the case that Verm., Metersacker and Santos just need time to get used to each other.

BelfastBloke Sat 17-Sep-11 16:46:38

Vermalen is out for a couple of months, as is Jack Wilshire. If we didn't have so many injuries to important players we wouldn't be in this mess.

Our problem isn't the quality of our TEAM, it's the depth of our SQUAD. When we get injuries (and we get loads), the cover isn't good enough.

Anyway, nice to see you, Pan. And welcome, GMSS

GiveMeSomeSpace Sat 17-Sep-11 19:28:39

Why thank you BB

BelfastBloke Sun 18-Sep-11 09:59:47

Sky Soooper Sunday!

Spurs vs Liverpool at 130, and ManUre vs Chavski at 4pm.

Am looking forward to it. I donated my Sunday lie-in to DW and dealt with the kids in order that I could watch some of this football feast.

My vague understanding is that Liverpool strengthened much better than Spurs in the transfer window. Is that correct?

Pan Sun 18-Sep-11 10:42:05

The acid test is how many players from Livpoooool or spurs would get into Man U or Chelski sides? and the answer is prob. one - Modrich, and poss with Suarez on the bench.

Lawro v. Pan? Spurs - scoring draw. We will concede, but put at least three past Cech.

Squad is crucial n'est-ce pas? We usually have 3-4 major players out at any time. Arsene's planning in this regard has been woeful.

Pan Sun 18-Sep-11 13:59:59

suspect Chelski are going to park the bus.

BelfastBloke Sun 18-Sep-11 18:35:57

Not very successful parking, it would seem.

Pan Sun 18-Sep-11 19:03:30

Well, they parked up on Sir Matt Busby Way, came inside and made a game of it!

I was right about the scoreline, but not quite in manner expected. But generally it was keystone cops stuff. and that was a Torrid miss....and speaking of Kopittes, 90 mins of a scouse suicide.

Pan Mon 19-Sep-11 22:59:01
BigGitDad Tue 20-Sep-11 16:40:59

BB have you seen this blog. Arseblog
He is pretty much on the ball and quite funny with it too. The news link at the top is quite good too.

BelfastBloke Wed 21-Sep-11 05:51:56

Yeah, I read Arseblog, and occasionally listen to his podcast, the Arsecast. I think Arseblog is the most well-known of the Arsenal websites.

But the comedian Alan Davies's Arsenal podcast 'The Tuesday Club' is the one that can really enhance the Arsenal fan's experience. It's absolutely hilarious, and I know loads of fans of other clubs who listen solely for the comedy. Do you know it?

BigGitDad Wed 21-Sep-11 19:35:51

I'l have too look for that one BB, can you post the link if you have it.
Cheers.

BelfastBloke Wed 21-Sep-11 22:50:10

This is the link to listen to the Tuesday Club podcasts: http://thetuesdayclub.libsyn.com/

Or you can get them off iTunes by typing Alan Davies Tuesday club into the search engine.

You won't regret it. Listen to the rant after the match-which-must-not-be-spoken-of against Man U, for example.

BigGitDad Sun 25-Sep-11 13:49:36

Just listened to the AD blogs over the last few days and have been laughing out loud. Very embarassing when you are on trains and buses. I am suprised no one punched me in the face because they thought I was laughing at them!
That rant though. God that depressed me. I had just got over that defeat and was feeling optimistic and had to go through it all again.
Yesterdays win was good and will hopefully give a bit more confidence. But the next two games are important. A win on Wednesday would be good but Sunday against Tottenham? If we get hammered? Wenger and the team will be under the cosh again. There is quite a large section of the support that is heading against Wenger now. I would hate to see the supporters split as they are it does not do the team any good.

BelfastBloke Sun 25-Sep-11 22:10:54

Glad you've got those podcasts in your life, BGD. Podcasts just create happiness. You can be in a dull toddler group, with one headphone in, listening to Desert Island Discs or the Guardian football podcast, and all is right with the world.

Anyone care to list

I think I'll be going to the Arsenal Olympiakos Champions' League match on Wednesday. Spare 35 quid ticket if anyone wants to join me, although it won't be a problem to sell it to a tourist outside the ground (face value only - I'm not a tout). PM me if you want.

BigGitDad Sun 25-Sep-11 22:58:53

Thats a shame BB I am already out Wednesday night, I would have bitten your arm off! I will ask around and see if any of my Gooner friends are interested.

BelfastBloke Tue 27-Sep-11 20:09:16

Man Citeh really do have an incredibly deep squad, don't they?

BelfastBloke Tue 27-Sep-11 20:10:54

Their game v Bayern is a much more interesting match-up than Man Utd's or than Real Madrid's

Pan Tue 27-Sep-11 22:44:25

Looks like MCFC's squad will be one player light after tonight. Usual stuff being said about him.

BelfastBloke Wed 28-Sep-11 06:36:51

Did you watch the Man Utd game, Pan? 3-3 sounds exciting.

DanFmDorking Wed 28-Sep-11 09:59:25

What's the difference between a tramp and Tevez?

Nothing, neither will leave the bench.

BelfastBloke Wed 28-Sep-11 12:58:24

That really is a shocking story about Tevez, when you think about all the strikers who could have been on the bench that Tevez was keeping off.

The recent captain of the club, refusing to play? A coach has to stand or fall by his results - Tevez has given Mancini the perfect excuse for failure in Mac City's most important game for a generation.

Oblomov Wed 28-Sep-11 14:58:42

still shocked at the Tevez thing. Wonder whether Mancini will regret using the word 'never'. He seemed dazzled in the headlights of the media, "I can't azzept".

Oblomov Wed 28-Sep-11 15:00:04

Dan, love that tramp joke. Have just text it to my dh.

Pan Wed 28-Sep-11 19:09:38

No, I don't have sky at home, BB , but followed events on the BBC script thing. Just sounded so so sloppy and lacking in concentration.

Tevez - he wasn't unlike this with us. He demands to play in every game, when you actually need 4 fresh strikers to play across all competitions. When he tried to appeal over SFA's head to the fans for him to stay you knew he was out. As we know it's a squad game these days, not designed for names and egos.

BelfastBloke Thu 29-Sep-11 07:27:12

From the Guardian:

" If a player paid £250,000 a week refuses to pitch in to the biggest match in the club's recent history when asked by the manager, it seems a breach of his contract fundamental enough to warrant City terminating it. However, Tevez is saying his was a substitute's frustration and that he was prepared to come on. When Mancini told him to warm up, Tevez's case goes, he said he was already warmed up. The manager told him if he would not warm up, he couldn't play, so he did not play.
That is not a defence likely to win him many friends, but if those facts are established following internal interviews, Tevez could argue his misconduct was not quite serious enough to warrant dismissal. Ian Lynam, a partner at Charles Russell solicitors, said an act of "disobedience" would not normally amount to an instantly sackable offence – which shows, at least, that the Tevez case is arguable both ways and therefore potentially messy and protracted.
Even if City pick their way through that employment law thicket and decide they have the right to summarily dismiss Tevez, difficulties lie beyond. Cancelling his contract would mean not paying him any more, and they would effectively be giving him back his registration. That would make him a free agent, meaning the club depriving itself of selling for a transfer fee the player who Mansour bought in 2009 for, according to reliable sources, £45m."

BigGitDad Sun 02-Oct-11 13:06:46

That is the problem, sack him and he becomes a free agent which is what he wanted all along. I do not see a happy answer to this problem. Looks like the relsationship between tevez and Man C has broken down.
Btw, they did get stuffed by Bayern the other night who did look a class act.
BB I do not hold out much hope today, Arse's defence is too suspect still. If it is a big defeat (4-5 goals to nil) Wenger will be getting flak again big time just when I thought he was managing to move onfrom the Man U debacle.

BelfastBloke Sun 02-Oct-11 17:00:49

Half time and we're playing ok, but losing by a goal. I've been expecting to lose, and I suppose still do, but it's quite even at the moment.

deemented Sun 02-Oct-11 17:14:53

Mind if i join in?

1. Swansea City.
2. Cardiff City.
3. They don't have a choice. There is only one football team in this house.
4. Well, it's been a huge step up for us. A bit of a baptism of fire. Fair play to Brendan Rodgers though, he's perervered and hasn't changed our playing style, and it's starting to pay off for us, albeit slowly. Realisticly speaking though, we haven't a hope against the big clubs - United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal. We can't compete against their money. But we'll give it a go.

BelfastBloke Sun 02-Oct-11 17:23:23

SZCZ denies Adebayor! After we score the equalizer. Come on Arsenal.

And welcome deemented

BigGitDad Sun 02-Oct-11 22:41:44

You know BB I would take that result given the start we have had to the season. We played well at times, but just need to get a bit more consistancy in the play. The team will get better and the youngsters and the transfer window in Jan will allow us to strengthen the squad.
4th in the league though? That'll be a big ask I think at the moment.

Oblomov Mon 03-Oct-11 16:07:29

Spurs beat Arsenal both Home and Away in 2010. Yesterday's win was a good one. Parker played well. Arsenal had chances. Spurs didn't play that well, I didn't think. St Totteringham's day ? I think there is every chance that Spurs could finish above Arsenal in the table this year. And that couldn't have been said before. Arsenal fans should be worried.
I am not sure that Spurs can get back into Champions League. They had their chance, and blew it. And have no one to blame but themselves. And who are they going to Oust, in order to get there ? Man City? I don't think so. Saying that, Man City , who had been on fire in the Premiership, looked truely amateur in the Champions League the other day.
We'll see.

BelfastBloke Tue 04-Oct-11 13:30:33

Nah, I see it as a three way race for the 4th spot between Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs.

Apparently our fans were singing, 'What's it like on Channel 5?' to Spurs; I suspect we're about to find out next year (if we even finish that high - but I think we will. However, the massive, long-term injuries keep coming ...)

MarsLady Tue 04-Oct-11 19:11:18

Life rather busy at the moment, but I can always spare a moment to talk about the Mighty Spurs!

Lovely victory by the Lily Whites I felt. :D I should think that we will have that 4th spot without too much trouble. City have been playing some lovely football since the start of the season, but we will see. Liverpool... hmmm... this jury is out on them, that said, they had such a disastrous start to last season and finished strong. I'd pretty much written them off. Arsenal... well my son (thanks to his swine of a brainwashing godfather) is a Gooner. So obviously dancing in my son's face re the aforementioned victory may be considered, by some, to be an unnatural act by a mother. I call it... tough love! :D

BigGitDad Wed 05-Oct-11 17:53:04

At least The Arse know that they have players to come back from injury and we will be a better team for it. Like I said they are missing quite a bit of confidence currently and it really shows.
If only we could spend the £60m we have on a couple of quality players. A striker for Van Persie to play off and another versatile back who can cover all positions. (Do they exist?)

Pan Tue 11-Oct-11 22:12:40

I support Man U.

I am also Scottish.

AIBU to be heartily sick of the sight of Spanish footballers. Shouldn't they play with an impediment? Like, they can only kick the ball with their left feet. Or they have to play in stilettoes. Anything.

BelfastBloke Tue 11-Oct-11 22:42:48

YABU

Pan Tue 11-Oct-11 22:43:32

I know. But I am liking it.

Pan Thu 13-Oct-11 11:56:27

Ok. Stopped liking it, and will return to full, dreamy, footie-the-way-God-intended admiration.

BelfastBloke Fri 21-Oct-11 17:46:57

So a successful Champions' League week for all premiership clubs, and a decent programme of games coming up this weekend!

Footy gets us through when life batters us about a bit.

BelfastBloke Sun 23-Oct-11 13:43:40

Come on Citeh (i suppose, purely to make the Premiership more interesting.)

(and to irritate Pan)

Pan Sun 23-Oct-11 16:18:10

Well, these are new feelings. Irritation doesn't come anywhere near close.

Pan Sun 23-Oct-11 16:54:47

We had started to believe our own hyperbole.....but still rubbish displays against Basle and Norwich wasn't enough to waken them up.

As much as it hurts...well done City.....feck, I never thought I'd find myself saying that.

The comparator with 8-2 Arsenal are useless. When we pummelled you, you were on the ropes already. And away at O.T. This morning we were second and at home, with almost a fully available squad. It was the utter collapse I can't get over atm.

Pan Sun 23-Oct-11 16:55:22

I see Chelski are down to 9 men.

BelfastBloke Sun 23-Oct-11 17:03:16

Ooh, really? Do you think it's worth turning on the Chelsea match?

You're right about the 8-2. It's not exactly comparable - as you say, a very full squad for you today. But you weren't particularly gloaty at that time, so I won't rub it in.

It is a bit daunting when Nasri's coming off the bench, isn't it. Wish we hadn't let him go - and he's playing MUCH better for them than for us. I think he'd given up on us --- and Wenger allows that mentality to happen.

We won 3-1 today with Van Persie coming off the bench to score two. I think I'm right in saying he's now got 25 goals in 26 matches. He's carrying the team right now and yet he always gets injured in a season.

Pan Sun 23-Oct-11 17:13:12

Thanks for the non-gloaty thing, BB. Kicking when down is rubbish. Ican take it from Barca. Eventually. But not from City.
vP - really tricky situation. Still, relegation position to 7th in a few short weeks is pretty good going.
Evans - just can't concentrate for a full 90 mins - lets his man go, once, and the game is screwed.

Pan Sun 23-Oct-11 18:11:08

though I do fear for Everton next weekend...

Pan Sat 29-Oct-11 15:44:32

Go you Gooners! ( something else I never thought I'd say). Will record MoD and try to watch it slow-mo just to make it last that bit longer.

BelfryBloke Sat 29-Oct-11 15:53:21

Did you see it, Pan? It was joyous, and a really fascinating game regardless.

PS Did you see on the classic fiction thread that I was already near the end of the trilogy that you recommended?

Pan Sat 29-Oct-11 15:56:07

no, Sat. is usually housework time in Panland - do you mean the Robertson Davies Deptford Trilogy, BB?

Pan Sat 29-Oct-11 17:06:20

oh yes, just seen the thread. Whaddya think? I just found them so intelligent. And love the European avant-garde atmosphere of the third book.

Have yet to read the 'Cornish' trilogy, though is bumping around in the back of my mind. Anther from him is "The Cunning Man", in part a struggle between the medical and clerics worlds.

BelfryBloke Sun 30-Oct-11 00:23:09

I've started the Cornish Trilogy before finishing the Deptford Trilogy. I know I'll like it, because of the subject matter, but it's a bit disconcerting because each chapter of the first book is from a different character's point of view, but you only gradually glean which character it is.

None of which is to detract from the fantastic Arsenal performance today.

Two key moments stand out for me: Our goalie SZCZ could well have been sent off for a clear foul outside the area on Ashley Cole. That could have changed the game, of course.

And when Terry realised he couldn't catch RVP for his 2nd goal, he just pretended to slip. I watched it several times and am convinced he dived, to hide his shame and irritation.

Pan Sun 30-Oct-11 00:34:56

ah. not his week. Couldn't happen to a nastier man.

and what was RvP's fascist-like salute all about? 2nd goal I think? and of course the goalie should have been off - MoD reports his twitter as saying' what was I doing still on the pitch?'

This is turning in to the Comedy PL.

and yes, RD keeps you on your toes, doesn't he? I think he structures the stuff very well, but meanders whilst in there. Says me, the critic.hmm

BelfastBloke Wed 02-Nov-11 08:01:53

Marseille carved us open many times last night. Good thing they kept missing the goal.

Good thing we had Vermaalen back. His song is to the tune of 'Oh My darling Clementine':
'Oh Vermaalen, Oh Vermaalen, Oh Vermaalen, Number Five
Fuck yer Rooneys, Fuck yer Drogbas,
He will eat them cunts alive.'

The song about Per Mertesacker is (tune of 'Guantanamero', or 'Vieira')
'Big Fuckin German,
We've got a Big Fuckin German,
Big Fucking Ge-erman...'

You asked about Robin Van Persie's 'Nazi' salute. Very unlikely to be anything other than an accident, I'd've thought, given his wife is a Morroccan-Dutch muslim.

I feel like I've been reading the Deptford Trilogy for ages, because I have, because of children duties. It means I think of it as more 'choppy' than it actually is. Should conclude it today though.

BelfastBloke Wed 02-Nov-11 18:15:28

So which is the best game tonight to watch as a neutral? Man U, or Man Citeh?

Which one is ITV showing?

BelfastBloke Wed 02-Nov-11 18:25:21

From the Guardian: "Some of the Chelsea travelling contingent were clearly heard singing, "Anton Ferdinand, you know what you are" – apparently in support of captain John Terry, who is now under police investigation over allegations he racially abused Ferdinand during last month's west London derby, something he denies."

Shows how what players do directly influences fan behaviour.

Pan Wed 02-Nov-11 18:58:44

ITV, round here at least have Citeh.....cue me and the radio and Utd taking on the might of Romania.......unless I hear that Citeh are struggling badly.

It is my highly dubious pleasure to be cycling past the Etihad Stadium every morning, and every evening to and fro work....I can only avert my eyes.

didn't know that about vP's wife..he jusy looks like a sneaky little school boy.
And we had a similalry witty and esoteric song about Stam...something like "He's called Yip-Yap Stamm..he's big and Dutch and called Yip-Yap Stamm". Oh how we laughed.hmm

Not as gud as Fulham's affectionate lines:

When the ball hits your head
and you're sat in row Z,
That's Zamora

Pan Wed 02-Nov-11 19:00:27

players and crowds, indeed. If their play can excite a crowd, then it must surely be acknowledged the influence can be a malign one as well?

BelfastBloke Wed 02-Nov-11 19:11:22

I was planning to watch Citeh until I heard that Michael Owen is starting for your lot. I'm fascinated by Owen at Utd.

Pan Wed 02-Nov-11 19:27:45

all us too! It's a bit like watching a jumbo jet managing to take off. "how the feck does that work?"

BelfastBloke Wed 02-Nov-11 19:37:31

And Rooney in midfield behind Berb and Owen. Interesting.

He was never able to stay as a lone striker for England, kept drifting back to defence and stuff, so will he get in the strikers' way tonight?

BelfastBloke Tue 08-Nov-11 20:29:52

So, Pan, I hate Man Utd, and they've been asking for it [to be knocked off their feckin perch] for years.

Hate speech?

Pan Tue 08-Nov-11 20:47:55

Oh please.
<I was out with dd at her friends house after my last word, so have no idea how it ended. Badly prob. And I thought us ManU fans were myopic.......trying to not besmirch this hallow'd place tho'grin>

BelfastBloke Tue 08-Nov-11 21:18:02

in the absence of footy, i'm watching Ali vs frazier 1971. They're calling him Clay.

Get my PM?

Pan Tue 08-Nov-11 21:21:08

yup. Clay. Indicative. Is it Sky Sports? not seeing it elsewhere.

BelfastBloke Tue 08-Nov-11 21:30:47

yeah sky sports. Weirdly, Harry is calling him clay during the rounds and Ali in the breaks

Pan Tue 08-Nov-11 21:43:52

oh I think I recall that from previous showings. Just rembered another film for the list - the Will Smith as Ali film.

BelfastBloke Tue 08-Nov-11 21:48:06

meaning it's a film you haven't seen, or a film you think is good?

Pan Tue 08-Nov-11 21:50:43

not seen. Imagine Smith is made for a young Ali.

BelfastBloke Tue 08-Nov-11 21:56:00

you think so? I need to see it again, watch it as a film. All i could think then was 'i am watching will smith'. only looked at the performance, nothing else

Pan Tue 08-Nov-11 22:00:41

Ali-Frazier. It was on ESPN Classic. I have just discovered I get this! Palace v Liverpool on now. Damn and double damn!!

BelfastBloke Tue 08-Nov-11 22:04:34

You get ESPN Classic without having Sky? What service are you on?

I don't pay the extra for ESPN even though I like baseball. But ESPN Classic comes for free. I should have said - I just thought you were asking if it was on satellite...

Before I had Sky, I remember BT Vision had a very good deal for getting ESPN.

Pan Tue 08-Nov-11 22:14:31

It's just a basic Sky deal, plus children's and Documentaries etc for my little one. No Sky Sports but get ESPN, Eurosports ( good for cycling I see) and..........LiverpoolFCTV????Weirdy. My matey - he of the tears at Pan'sLab and Coventry City supporter fame - has been trying to get me to do a deal to go halves on Sky Sports. If I do that I'll never get him out of my house when Cricket is on. At 3 am....

BT Vision thing - they have been on trying to sell it.

BelfastBloke Tue 08-Nov-11 22:18:30

Shit, you're right! I get LFC TV!

I just assumed because I don't get Man UTV, or Chelsea, I never even checked Liverpool's.

How strange.

I get Arsenal TV online - comes with the season ticket - but I rarely watch it. I would if no kids.

Pan Tue 08-Nov-11 22:23:48

You prompt me for ESPN - we both get LFCTV. And we're all happy.hmm

Pan Thu 10-Nov-11 22:35:31

I have just been invited to a professionals conference. Nothing new there. But....it's in the Colin Bell Suite....at...yes..the Etihad Stadium. Golly.

BelfastBloke Thu 10-Nov-11 23:40:19

Did they end up naming a stand after him? i remember it was being discussed, genuinely.

The Bell End.

Pan Thu 10-Nov-11 23:47:11

oh there were many jokes about Schmeichal filling Seaman's shorts at the Bell End. And lots of varieties thereof.

Pan Thu 10-Nov-11 23:55:32

to answer your question, no, there was loss of nerve ( as it were) and they didn't name it The Bell End....

BelfastBloke Sat 12-Nov-11 09:07:55

Wonderful 0-4 win by the Republic last night (although my Estonian friend pointed out that both sides could be called the Republic)

One side - Ireland - could be said to have been favoured by the ref. He sent off two Estonian players, and gave a pen. But none of these decisions were hugely contentious or clearly wrong.

Makes Tuesday's game slightly less must-watch, as Ireland have pretty much made it.

The only qualifier which definitely hangs in the balance is Bosnia vs Portugal - which doesn't seem to be showing anywhere. They had a nil nil last night. What is going to happen?!

Pan Sun 13-Nov-11 21:15:47

yes, the work has been done. Though R. Keane got himself a bit mixed up with the cat in/out of the bag and whether the bag was closed or open analogy...(stick to doin the scorin' thing Robbie)...and it was funny seeing Trapattoni admitting he wasn't a deity. Big of him.smile

and we (Scotland) managed to put away the European powerhouse of Cyprus by the odd goal in three...we play the patient game...[ "We'll be a nation again...cept this time one that can play footie" - not in the official version..]
took my eye off Portugal - just sort of assumed they'd be through one way or another....

Pan Tue 15-Nov-11 23:17:44

oooh - I see Portugal scraped through by 6-2.....The line up looks pretty tasty? Having quiet hopes for Ireland to get through to the knock out stage. At competitions for me its
1.Scotland ( we just don't manage it).
2. Brazil ( ineligible...)
3. R.of I. - one just hopes.
4. England - always good for a pride-before-a-fall thing.smile.

BelfastBloke Tue 15-Nov-11 23:43:26

Yeah, I was pissed off that no TV station cut away to the Portugal game, especially as it kicked off late and therefore was still 0-0 when the other games ended.

With both England and RoI, I can't see them doing well against the settled, awesome teams of Holland, Germany or Spain. Having said that, the Republic is a fairly settled team actually, well organised.

England don't have time to bed in. Of course, they could get lucky. Football's a fascinating game (not that you'd know it from the attendance figures on this thread).

Pan Tue 15-Nov-11 23:48:56

no, I saw it was 2-1 at half way, but the nothing - did Ronnie wear his shooting boots?

much prefer This England. As much as I admire him, am not sure Wayne is actually worth sacrificing so much other talent for....heresey I know. If they progress, leave him out, cept as a sub.

Pan Tue 15-Nov-11 23:55:44

oh heresy. We need to maintain standards.

BelfastBloke Tue 15-Nov-11 23:59:11

Of course Rooney's worth making the sacrifice for, if he can be trusted to maintain his position and not drop back into defence. Thought he'd got better at that in recent years. Surely he'd make a great advanced midfielder, but only if he had tactical discipline. As Roy Keane said tonight, England have always had great individuals, but rarely a great team.

(Never once did England try just picking the Arsenal back five. Idiots. So what if Pearce was better individually than Winterburn).

Apparently Anton Ferdinand is eligible to play for the Republic, through his mother. He could get picked and end up booting John Terry up the arse when England play Ireland!

Pan Wed 16-Nov-11 00:10:03

Weeel, yes, you may be right. I just veer away from icons. And WR doesn't have a good track record at comps. individually. In fact I feel a bit more hopeful with RoI, re no expectation and a canny manager with a future re World Cup qualification. Fabio will be out next year and they all know that. Players have an investment in Trapottoni. ( how small do those straws I clutch at get?...)

Pan Wed 16-Nov-11 22:53:17

< non-footie thing - about to show The Princess Bride in cinema 1, with tearful Coventry-supporting matey. Discuss later?>

BelfastBloke Thu 17-Nov-11 17:07:49

Sure.

Is he tearful BECAUSE he finds himself a Coventry fan?

I suppose I would be too.

Pan Sun 20-Nov-11 12:33:45

no, it's because he is a big wet wuss. and a lovely bloke. Cov. were 1-0 up to West Ham, got a nose-bleed, and lost 1-2...

a bit of a 'steady as she goes' weekend in PL? We've tightened things up a bit overall - would stil like to see a really creative midfielder coming our way in Jan. Fletcher and Park don't have that masterly defence-splitting pass in their armoury.
Arse - it is only going to take one unpleasant challenge on vP and things could look different for you? And where was Arsene's tact/diplomacy in talking to L'Equipe? Unless it was a purposeful interview?

TheWrathofPan Sun 20-Nov-11 23:23:27

Well that was a Chelsea/Liverpool game! Surely an indictment of January's transfer madness?

Have learned new facts this week:
- you can take a corner to yourself. Neat.
- there is no racism on the pitch that can't be resolved by a hand-shake. Hmmm, interesting. ( tho' it was nice to see JT sliding on the goal line fruitlessly trying to defend a game-winning goal from a black man. Who wrote that script?)

BelfastBloke Mon 21-Nov-11 13:55:48

Oh yeah, just aim for Van Persie's ankles if you want to finish fourth.

I didn't really follow the corner thing. Is that the conclusion - you CAN take a corner to yourself?

Haven't watched the Chelsea Liverpool game yet - prob just watch it on MOTD2 now that I know the score.

toweraboveyou Wed 04-Jan-12 22:32:12

We need to get this thread going again! Good result for Newcastle tonight.

PansPeople Wed 04-Jan-12 23:22:32

Thank you tower!

Excellent result for Newcastle! Whilst being a big Man U fan, I have a warm heart for 'port city' teams. ( Newcastle, us, Liverpool, err..Grimsby..).

neshnosher Thu 05-Jan-12 05:24:53

I'm very pleased with last nights result because i', a product of a maine road upbringing.
Newcastle looked excellent and what a striker that Ba is.
Did anyone see the interview with him before the game where he said his favourite food was strawberry syrup you put on ice creams smile

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 05-Jan-12 07:12:13

Yes! Some people are posting again.
Of course I'm a mackem so not pleased with Sports Direct Utd result. However Ba has to be the best buy ever. Can't believe Rooney has someone to take his coat on and off!

DanFmDorking Sun 08-Jan-12 01:06:42

Barack Obama has announced that US defence spending will be cut to $660 billion a year, meaning that the USA no longer has the highest annual defence budget in the world.
That honour now goes to Manchester City.

Fulham football club was burgled last night and the entire contents of the trophy room were stolen.
The police have asked members of the public to be vigilant and report anybody trying to sell a 40ft square white carpet.

Nothing makes an FA cup like the minnows giant killing, so well done Spurs!

Tim Howard: "I can't take credit for that goal. The wind helped it in"
Manchester City are now preparing a £65million bid for the wind

Thierry Henry set to rejoin Arsenal after his insurance comes through.
Apparently there's a delay with the insurance of his left hand.

BelfastBloke Sun 08-Jan-12 14:49:50

Well, isn't this an interesting Manchester derby in the FA Cup?

Are you around, Pan?

BelfastBloke Sun 08-Jan-12 14:51:47

Thierry Henry was playing basketball in the USA, wasn't he?

PresidentWensleydale Sun 08-Jan-12 15:52:21

city vs united was an excellent match, especially for a neutral supporter.
Did think Kompanys' red card was harsh though.
Love the FA Cup grin

BelfastBloke Sun 08-Jan-12 16:02:24

Undoubtedly harsh. Did you see Alex Ferguson laughing and patting Chris Foy
(the ref) on the back at the end of the game?

Are Citeh supporters going to slag off Sir Chris Hoy for refereeing decisions again, like Spurs fans did?

PresidentWensleydale Sun 08-Jan-12 18:05:57

Had to switch over as soon as the final whistle blew so saw no post match stuff, tbh ref made some shocking mistakes coupled in with some correct ones but can imagine that city fans will certainly slag off Hoy.
Will watch highlights later though.
Nothing surprises me about Ferguson, am a toffee so my dislike of him has increased over the past few years <bitter>
What do you reckon to the Rooney rumours?

PresidentWensleydale Sun 08-Jan-12 18:06:49

Foy

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 08-Jan-12 19:02:19

Whoop we are through ! Boro next.

BelfastBloke Mon 09-Jan-12 06:59:07

Today's the day!

The return of the (depleted) Thierry Henry!

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 09-Jan-12 22:19:13

And he scored!

BelfastBloke Mon 09-Jan-12 23:07:06

Gawd bless 'im.

daytimedave Tue 10-Jan-12 20:31:51

right...hello....

first post alert and ive found the footie thread

ok
1,team millwall
2, erm...
3, my boy supports spurs...i guess cos they get more coverage..
4,well the 'wall are having an indifferent / rubbish season, other than that i thought the 3-2 manure v city was going to be the revenge of the 6-1..

anyway look forward to chatting with you all

cheers

dave

BelfastBloke Tue 10-Jan-12 22:42:35

Welcome, DaytimeDave. Someone likes you...

PresidentWensleydale and Towerabove you, who do you support?

(Arsenal) - PadDad
(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - DanFmDorking
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Hull) - BristolJim????
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Liverpool) - RedDad
(Man Citeh) - Caron1968
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Middlesbrough) - Iliad
(Millwall) - DaytimeDave
(Norwich) - Eeore
(Southhampton) - JetGirl
(Spurs) - Oblomov
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady
(Swansea City) - Deemented

PresidentWensleydale Wed 11-Jan-12 14:55:30

Everton grin

Panfriedstardust Wed 11-Jan-12 16:01:10

I even stayed up late at PanTowers to watch Henry score his goal. Just made it look effortless. <Arshavin, watch the replay. Repeatedly>

Nice to see Kompany's appeal has been refused. I said to my matey before game "will be won by the odd goal, Kompany will be sent off before half-time".

Focussing powers on lottery tickets now.

daytimedave Wed 11-Jan-12 17:44:59

thought the kompany snding off was harsh, yellow tops

four game ban will hurt

BelfastBloke Wed 11-Jan-12 19:13:43

If that's true that you said that to your mate, Pan, WHY did you zero in on Kompany as the one to be sent off? Does he have a reputation of which I'm unaware?

Panfriedstardust Wed 11-Jan-12 19:41:45

ah - if you recall the World Cup Final, he was the one that karate-kicked Xavi. Or Iniesta. Or both. He's a bit of a bovver boy with a short fuse in the big game.( he's got an exrta match ban as it is his 2nd red card this season.) just reckoned Rooney and Danny Boy would get to him.

Dave - harsh? Two feet, with studs showing, off the ground. Harsh??

Oblomov Wed 11-Jan-12 20:56:41

Am listening to Spurs Everton game on talksport.
The Henry goal was a beauty. Shame about Arshavin's missed 5 chances. Ha ha. He's practcially another Torres, isn't hewink
I still can't get over the Suarez thing. I mean even if he had said it, you never admit it , surely. very odd.
Didn't think the Kompany was a red. well unfair.

daytimedave Wed 11-Jan-12 21:01:51

yup harsh

i dont think any of the players reacted when it happened

anyway, on a more positive note watchin the pool v manc c game, notice that city come back out to a joy division tune

now thats cool...

Panfriedstardust Wed 11-Jan-12 21:30:29

intersting that think about Kompany in the World Cup Final. Belgium didn't get there. Did they? grin

whenskiesaregrey Wed 11-Jan-12 21:47:37

Ooh a football thread, why haven't I seen you before!

1. Everton
2. Liverpool, naturally. Wigan also, with all their drum banging 5 fans a game. Could probably lump Blackburn and Bolton with them too.
3. DS comes to watch me play football. Currently umming and ahhing about whether he is too young to take to the football at 2.6. Have mentioned to the bloke next too me if he isn't going one game I'll have his seat for DS.
4. Premiership decent, although a bit depressing for us.

Can't see anything but more players leaving for us in January, don't really know how things will get much better either without any new money.

Just watched the City Lpool game. Andy Carroll, what an absolute bargain??

ledkr Wed 11-Jan-12 22:02:17

Yay, Liverpool still manage to surprise me even after all these years.
I think next season will be ours.

BelfastBloke Thu 12-Jan-12 15:51:59

(Arsenal) - PadDad
(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - DanFmDorking
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Everton) - PresidentWensleydale
(Everton) - WhenSkiesAreGrey
(Hull) - BristolJim????
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Liverpool) - RedDad
(Man Citeh) - Caron1968
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Middlesbrough) - Iliad
(Millwall) - DaytimeDave
(Norwich) - Eeore
(Southhampton) - JetGirl
(Spurs) - Oblomov
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady

BelfastBloke Fri 13-Jan-12 08:42:47

This is from the Guardian. Do you think they really understand the definitions of "eccentric" and "controversial"?:

"Mario Balotelli's penchant for eccentric behaviour continued on Thursday when the Manchester City striker walked into a local college and asked a student where the toilets were located.

Balotelli, who featured in City's Carling Cup tie with Liverpool on Wednesday evening, parked his Bentley outside Xaverian College at around 1.30pm before walking into the canteen and making the inquiry.

After using the facilities the 21-year-old Italy international went into the staff room to speak to teachers before spending 20 minutes walking round the college campus accompanied by students.

This is not the first occasion Balotelli has drawn attention for controversial behaviour. In 2010 he drove through an open security gate at a women's prison in Italy to look around, while in October he set his house on fire after letting off fireworks in his bathroom.

He also visited a school in Manchester last year to confront a youth about bullying a fellow pupil."

Panfriedstardust Fri 13-Jan-12 09:22:16

and he asks "Why Always Me?" Err....

BelfastBloke Fri 20-Jan-12 14:25:58

Well, Sunday's going to be interesting.

The two Champions' League clubs (Arse and Spurs) vs two of the Europa League clubs (ManU and Citeh).

Can't wait. Except I'll be in the stadium when ManUre waltz through our makeshift back line.

Millie18 Fri 20-Jan-12 14:49:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Panfriedstardust Fri 20-Jan-12 15:03:32

No, Millie, this is a footie thread.

Have an over-developed sense of optimism as we travel south to the arse. As it were. We have some notable absentees climbing off the sick bed, and arse are not a happy band at all. Even investing in Spurs doing something quite bad to Citeh....

BelfastBloke Fri 20-Jan-12 15:32:58

Ooh, this is also the week that Harry Redknapp begins his trial for tax evasion!

It's likely to last two weeks - and will be interesting to see how Spurs fare with Joe Jordan and the rest standing in for HRedknapp.

Arsenal fans talk a fair bit about him going to gaol if he's found guilty; is that actually a possibility? I don't know whether it's just anti-Spurs bluster/jokes. Isn't it more likely to be a massive fine?

Panfriedstardust Fri 20-Jan-12 16:02:30

I think tax evasion is taken pretty seriously ( unless yo uare Vodaphone for eg then it's facilitated for you)and suspect the starting line is custody.

DanFmDorking Sun 22-Jan-12 01:48:57

It looks like the high winds have blown rubbish all over the pitch at the Reebok.

But enough about Liverpool.

GashInTheAttic Sun 22-Jan-12 02:02:27

(Reading)- GashInTheAttic
(Bournemouth)-GashInTheAttic
(St Mirren)-GashInTheAttic

But only because the DP and DCs get pissy when they lose.

Which is orften.. grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 22-Jan-12 06:14:27

Can I just say, Martin O'Neill is a genius?

Panfriedstardust Sun 22-Jan-12 17:21:52

"Except I'll be in the stadium when ManUre waltz through our makeshift back line."....I see, BB, you've started your post match analysis already.grin

Panfriedstardust Sun 22-Jan-12 22:31:54

Oooh not good for Arsenal. What the hell was Arsene thinking? Followed bits of it whilst travelling. Arshavin is a major misfit and can't hit a barn door. Sad day.

BelfastBloke Mon 23-Jan-12 20:56:43

What the hell was Arsene thinking? Indeed. He says the Ox was beginning to cramp up, and that's why he replaced him with Arshavin. But that better be true, because no-one could understand the decision.

I feel bad for Djourou. A centre-back being asked to play full-back. He had a nightmare and had to be taken off at half time, but he was getting no protection at all from Walcott and the Ox swapping wings ahead of him. So not only was he playing out of position, the team was not set up to minimise the damage.

Likely for us to be in the Europa League for the first time. And likely for Spurs to be Champs League instead.

Seems like Thursdays will no longer be Spursdays.

Panfriedstardust Mon 23-Jan-12 21:24:31

No worries BB - I have constructed your panacea to all of this:

Reddies ( just made that up!) gets an 18 month custodial. But given it's non-sexual or violent he serves 7 months and is eligible for Home Detention Curfew, July/August. Meantime a teary farewell is provided to Arsene who goes off to (sun)cream in big bucks managing in US, African nation, or Middle-East. Reddy takes over at Emirates just intime for 12/13 season and Arsenal beat Man U 9-2 to win the title on the last game of the season on goal difference a la 1989.

Easy.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 23-Jan-12 21:24:37

What will happen to Harry?

Panfriedstardust Mon 23-Jan-12 21:27:05

Erm...prison..then Arsenal-led glory. Did you read anything I just posted KDDDdead?grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 23-Jan-12 21:34:45

We totally cross posted!

Panfriedstardust Mon 23-Jan-12 21:38:20

I know. I was teasing.
Still things aren't looking too good for Mr Reddies. England ambitions stifled through greed. Which Spurs manager have we witnessed that sad tale in previously? <Venables cough>

BelfastBloke Mon 23-Jan-12 21:43:48

I'd prefer "Pep Guardiola takes over at Emirates just intime for 12/13 season and Arsenal beat Man U 9-2 to win the title on the last game of the season on goal difference a la 1989."

Panfriedstardust Mon 23-Jan-12 21:52:30

But then...the following season Ole Gunnar Solskjaer takes over at OT leading to another 20 year domestic and European dominance. Sorry.smile

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 23-Jan-12 21:54:26

Reddies, love it! I bet he will get cushy open prison or tagged.

Panfriedstardust Mon 23-Jan-12 21:57:59

yes they are making a space at Ford Open as we speak - will manage the prison team to 3rd in the prisons league ( behind HMP Manchester A and B teams.)grin

BelfastBloke Mon 23-Jan-12 22:02:34

We have a chant "Robin Van Persie, he scores when he wants".

Yesterday watching the Citeh Spurs game in the Arsenal Supporters' pub, they were singing "Harry Redknapp, pays tax when he wants."

Panfriedstardust Mon 23-Jan-12 22:10:00

Ha! Ha!

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 23-Jan-12 22:19:00

Just watching the court illustrations of him. Very flattering !

DanFmDorking Mon 23-Jan-12 22:23:05

Its easy to see why Arsenal lost, they went down to 10 men!

Or as the pundits said "bringing on Arshavin"

Panfriedstardust Mon 23-Jan-12 22:40:11

loved your 'rubbish all over the Reebok'.

BelfastBloke Mon 23-Jan-12 23:32:25

The chant for Nani was:

"Shit Michael Jackson,
You're just a shit Michael Jackson...."

Panfriedstardust Tue 24-Jan-12 00:01:52

yes that was from the youtube piss-take of the "Downfall" final scene, where Hitler ( a mad ManU fan) has just learned Ronaldo is going to Madrid - "Nani? He's just a poor mans Michael Jackson"

Youtube "downfall" if you haven't - there's an excellent one about Chelsea missing the penalty in the Euro Final against us. (Hilter is a mad Chelski fan there).

BelfastBloke Tue 24-Jan-12 06:06:07

Downfall is the gift which just keeps on giving, isn't it?

BelfastBloke Wed 25-Jan-12 20:06:05

Liverpool v Man Citeh in the Carling Cup. The Scousers 1-0 up from the first leg.

Andy Carroll just isn't trusted any more, is he? Arsenal need a cut-price striker (although the way we play wouldn't really play to his strengths).

Panfriedstardust Sat 28-Jan-12 13:35:00

just watching the game against the Scousers - they are actually boo-ing Patrice Evra every time he touches the ball. And boo-ed pretty widely not just a couple of thickos. They are really shamelessly racist.

Panfriedstardust Sat 28-Jan-12 15:25:05

and Dalgleish reckons all of the fans can consider themselves well-behaved...

(rubbish result of course..)

DanFmDorking Sun 29-Jan-12 01:30:18

No income tax,
No VAT,
No Premier points off Man City,
In the dock,
an' face so pale,
'Arry Redknapps going to jaaaaaaaaaaail.

BelfastBloke Sun 29-Jan-12 07:21:56

Is that from the Tuesday Club podcast, Dan?

Nice

Panfriedstardust Sun 05-Feb-12 11:45:17

So much to talk about!

Where do we stand on the Terry issue? Should the legal process over-ride the apparent strenght of feeling amongst the other England squad members? i.e. innocent til proven guilty, so just keep quite and 'get on with the game'?

And KenDodd - is there a Champions League place in sight for The Black Cats? And can we have Martin O at ManU when The Wizard eventually retires?

BB - nice sneaky win there! But weren't Blackburn just so lacking in defence? ( I base this in the highlights - vP was being invited to score, as if he needed it.)

Bring on the Chelski today. Really hoping Paul Pogba keeps a place in midfield - saw some U-tube focus on him from Tuesday night's game. We all knew he was exceptional, but could he do it at PL level? Well, yes.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 05-Feb-12 12:05:00

Innocent til proven guilty but I cannot stand John Terry.
Think we have a good little player in Maclean. Til someone steals him with a big money offer.

Panfriedstardust Sun 05-Feb-12 12:16:09

Terry - trouble is the threshold for guilt is 'beyond reasonable doubt'. The threshold for players in the squad is 'we know what he is like'. BBC footie correspondent yesterday was saying he had seen various messages passed round amongst the players, which are unlawful to reveal as yet, and they were hardly 'supportive'.

changingman Sun 05-Feb-12 21:34:48

ive been a man u fan since 1976 and a fan of my hometown wrexham since then too. I am also a footy fan. I love man u and have been to many games, league, champs league, carling cup, fa cup, etc but also appreciate other team players such as gerrard, oxlaide chamberlain, van persie, bale, aguero, silva, etc... lambert is a great manager as is o neill and swansea are a fine footy team to watch. gutted we didnt win todays match vs chelsea but am happy with a very gutsy well earned point. as for wrexham we have every chance to go up into the league this season

changingman Sun 05-Feb-12 21:35:46

as for chelsea lampard is a good player, i love drogba. never rated terry and i feel anyone supporting him right now deserves a ban!

Oblomov Sun 05-Feb-12 21:43:24

What about the fan who handcuffed himself to the goalpost. ha ha.
The Man U, Chelsea 3-3 game today was a corker.
As spurs fans that suited us just hansomely, thank you very much.
So, who is going to get the 4th spot?
Arsenal and Liverpool finding form. Chelsea struggling a bit more than those 2, or so it seems. And even Newcastle in with a chance, but i can't see it. Dh would prefer Liverpool to get it over Chelsea and Arsenal, obviously, But i can't see that happening. I said Villas Boas would get the sack, but dh thought that was coming anyway.

changingman Sun 05-Feb-12 21:45:07

My bet?
Man U - Champs
Man City - Runners-up
Spurs - 3rd
Arsenal - 4th
Liverpool - 5th
Chelsea - 6th

Panfriedstardust Sun 05-Feb-12 21:45:23

changingman- can I put all of that to music? Another MUFC fan round here will be massively appreciated. Maybe today wasn't the right sort of game for Pogba, but I think he needs to get a bit more action - he has yet to sign a contract.

Oblomov Sun 05-Feb-12 21:46:19

I can't take my eyes off David Silva. Dh is the same. The man plays the most beautiful football. Ever.

changingman Sun 05-Feb-12 21:47:25

going down?
Wolves
B'burn (keane will lose his job before end of season)
Wigan

changingman Sun 05-Feb-12 21:48:55

Pan - pogba is a class player with class potential. as was morrison and ferg was the right type who could have managed him. however if we can keep him, fryers also good potential. feel sorry for berba though

changingman Sun 05-Feb-12 21:51:35

i hope my little 6 mth old - archie supports both wrexham and man u. he has already got a man u kit! though it will be up to him (must support welsh rugger though!)
I hate liverpool though gerrard, kuyt and carragher are class as is suarez if he loses his racist comments
also hate city though silva and aguerro are class

Panfriedstardust Sun 05-Feb-12 22:47:22

Carragher - yes top of the donkey class.

Aguero is one of the few other teams' players I covet.

BelfastBloke Tue 07-Feb-12 07:25:35

God, changingman, I hope you're right about Arsenal finishing 4th.

After last night's very entertaining Scouse-Spurs match, I checked the tables, and it's not as bad for us as I had thought. But I can't say I'm optimistic about finishing 4th. Obviously we COULD, but the other teams are looking more settled.

BelfastBloke Tue 07-Feb-12 07:29:20

(Arsenal) - PadDad
(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - DanFmDorking
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Hull) - BristolJim????
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Liverpool) - RedDad
(Man Citeh) - Caron1968
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Man. Utd) - Changingman
(Middlesbrough) - Iliad
(Millwall) - DaytimeDave
(Norwich) - Eeore
(Southhampton) - JetGirl
(Spurs) - Oblomov
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady
(Wrexham) - Changingman

TiggyD Tue 07-Feb-12 16:09:49

I'm a Liverpool fan. Reading is my local team so I support them a bit. Everybody should want their local team to do well, but I'll only ever be a fan of the Livers.

Loathe? People who's identity comes as much from who they hate as who they love are fucking miserable excuses for human beings.

Liverpool are having a rebuilding phase but I expect them back near the top when they get a striker or 2 who can score goals. Rather fed up and embarrassed with them at the moment re the Saurez incident.

DanFmDorking Wed 08-Feb-12 12:13:15

Harry Redknapp and Mandaric found not guilty!
That explains what Harry was doing on the transfer deadline day.
Buying himself a jury.

Panfriedstardust Wed 08-Feb-12 20:35:38

and less shocking, Capello quits, tho' one suspects he hadthis in mind when he criticised the FA i.e deliberately negotiated himself into a corner.

and yes, perhaps he waited until 'Arry's trial was sorted....

DanFmDorking Wed 08-Feb-12 21:09:41

What's the difference between Fabio Capello and Postman Pat?
Postman Pat can deliver the goods.

'Capello resigns as England manager.'
Not the first time an Italian has fled from a sinking ship.

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 08-Feb-12 22:11:55

15,seconds of extra time. I feel sick.

Panfriedstardust Wed 08-Feb-12 22:14:09

you'll be fine KDDDD.

Panfriedstardust Wed 08-Feb-12 22:14:54

See!!

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 08-Feb-12 22:15:33

Yes! Thanks Pan. grin

BelfastBloke Wed 08-Feb-12 23:02:14

'Appy 'Arry would be a fool to take the England job. He's got a great set-up at Spurs, and they're playing really well. This court verdict means that the 'drag' on his reputation will be gone, and he could be really praised over the next few seasons.

Whereas his reputation would take a battering, eventually, with the England job.

Panfriedstardust Wed 08-Feb-12 23:07:07

Surely no-one's reputation could be damaged by being in charge of a bunch of misfits and subject to media-loons. England are woeful and even SAF couldn't save them. < hmmm, first Scot as England manager...>

Panfriedstardust Wed 08-Feb-12 23:14:44

<BB - "The Guard" arrived today. Bookings for the auditorium for a weekend viewing being taken.>

BelfastBloke Wed 08-Feb-12 23:20:27

Jack Wilshire could save England; alas, he's injured. I heard some TalkSpite presenter was saying that England should sue Arsenal because Jack Wilshire's not available to them!

Pan, I'd say it's been long enough since you watched 'In Bruges' that you could do a double-header with it and The Guard, really make an evening of it.

MrsDeeBee Wed 08-Feb-12 23:26:24

BB

I also think Harry would be mad to take the England job.

Not only because I am a Spur's Fan. We already know how it would go, we will do bugger all at the Euro's, and as you say, eventually his reputation would take a battering, and he will become the next in a long line of failed, detested England managers.

I think we shouldn't appoint anyone till after the Euro's. Get someone as a stand-in, and then after the Euro's have a proper cull of the majority of the 'team' we currently have.

All this nonsense tonight on the news about "So very close to a major tournament and no captain and no manager"....is it just me or didn't the majority of England fans want the captain and manager gone ?

ColdTruth Wed 08-Feb-12 23:31:33

That's the trouble with reporters in the UK they put way to much pressure on players (and managers) even young ones like Wilshere, they have already started looking towards Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

(Arsenal fan btw)

Panfriedstardust Thu 09-Feb-12 06:26:02

I don't think Harry will do both jobs at all. He will find it too taxing......

MrsDeeBee Thu 09-Feb-12 13:32:33

Ha ha ha

<clutches sides>

NOT

grin

BelfastBloke Thu 09-Feb-12 15:29:19

Seen this in AIBU?

AIBU in finding the term England manager very very annoying?

I wonder how many threads about Capello and Redknapp there have been on MN.

MrsDeeBee Thu 09-Feb-12 15:51:27

Yeah.

I do wish people wouldn't try to be 'amusing' and make a point and then not spell correctly.

Kind of makes the 'statement' lose it's 'edge' a bit. grin

PS There's not been too many threads. Not that I've seen anyway. I bet there's less than 10.

Oblomov Thu 09-Feb-12 16:21:42

Sadly, as a Spurs fan, I predict that 'Arry will accept Engalnd job. Why he can't see that its doomed, I have no idea. As Belfast says, you don't even stand a chance. Or alternatively, have the prestigious job of taking a team with Modric and Bale into the Champions League, playing Milan and Barcelona.
Someone tell me whats so great about the England job. <<obviously missing something>>

BelfastBloke Thu 09-Feb-12 16:28:06

On the other hand, from 'Arry's perspective:

1. Things couldn't have gone any better for him at Spurs, although Spurs for him is just another job (and he's left loads - Southhampton and Pompey spring to mind). So this is probably the exact right time for him to leave.

2. He's always wanted to manage England - it may not be offered in such favourable circ's again.

3. He's held in such high esteem at Spurs that he'd be able to come back to a well-paid, fairly prestigious job after the England experience soured.

4. The timing is exactly right for him to make a splash at the Euros if England play well, but not be blamed too much if they do badly.

MrsDeeBee Thu 09-Feb-12 16:28:16

Really, Oblomov ?

I wouldn't be so sure. Our 'Arry's not daft. Just a feeling I have. <hopeful>

I will be gutted if he wants to leave us to manage a team of has-beens.

PS It's E N G L A N D ! grin

MrsDeeBee Thu 09-Feb-12 16:31:27

BB

We are not 'just another job' to him ! How very dare you !

He has said a couple of times that the Spur's Fans have been amazing with regard to their support for him etc.....<wails> he wouldn't leave us, he wouldn't, I won't let him ! <stamps foot>

I repeat, why would he leave us for a bunch of has-beens ? Maybe he has realised he has his dream job ? <crosses fingers>

BelfastBloke Thu 09-Feb-12 17:08:35

Compare and contrast the things he has said about the Spurs fans with what he said at the time about the Portsmouth fans, the Southampton fans, the West Ham fans...

BelfastBloke Thu 09-Feb-12 19:14:47

(Arsenal) - PadDad
(Arsenal) - Saltatrix
(Arsenal) - DanFmDorking
(Arsenal) - BigGitDad
(Arsenal) - BelfastBloke
(Arsenal) - ColdTruth
(Coventry) - Truckulente
(Hull) - BristolJim????
(Liverpool) - Binx14
(Liverpool) - cjdamoo
(Liverpool) - TiggyD
(Liverpool) - RedDad
(Man Citeh) - Caron1968
(Man. Utd) - Pan
(Man. Utd) - Changingman
(Middlesbrough) - Iliad
(Millwall) - DaytimeDave
(Norwich) - Eeore
(Southhampton) - JetGirl
(Spurs) - Oblomov
(Spurs) - Whathappened
(Spurs) - MarsLady
(Spurs) - MrsDeeBee
(Wrexham) - Changingman

MrsDeeBee Thu 09-Feb-12 21:19:34

BB

Now you're just being mean sad

<slopes off taking ball home>

DanFmDorking Thu 09-Feb-12 23:08:48

Of course Harry Redknapp should be the New England manager.

If anyone can lead the Patriots to the Super Bowl it’s him.

BelfastBloke Thu 09-Feb-12 23:10:17

Very good, Dan!

BelfastBloke Fri 10-Feb-12 08:06:39
Panfriedstardust Sat 11-Feb-12 12:12:08

used to like Dalgleish a bit. SAying Suarez shouldn't have been banned is an acute embarassment to the club.
Hey-ho. Off to pub to watch Utd thrash them. Hoping the crowd don't boo Suarez's evra touch.

Ponders Sat 11-Feb-12 19:46:55

well!

any comments on Old Trafford today, chaps?

Panfriedstardust Sat 11-Feb-12 22:27:59

It's all been said and done really hasn't it, Ponders? LFC are becoming a bigger disgrace by the day.

Ponders Sat 11-Feb-12 22:35:49

I think so, Pan

KD's Sky interview was appalling sad

at least AF had the grace to admit that Evra's celebration at the end should have been subdued.

Panfriedstardust Sat 11-Feb-12 23:01:26

It isn't often MUFC can claim any moral high ground. LFC deliver it to them repeatedly.
KD is an embarassment.

BelfastBloke Sun 12-Feb-12 17:18:12

someone on sky's sunday supplement said they should either do away with handshakes, or fine anyone who doesnt do them, for bringing the game into disrepute

Ponders Sun 12-Feb-12 19:04:35

I read that Suarez could have been sent off for it. That would have led to an even more interesting game. If it has to be enforced it kind of misses the point though sad

Anyway I was glad to see the grovelling apologies today from LFC, KD & LS (even if the latter 2 probably required coercion...)

Panfriedstardust Sun 12-Feb-12 20:29:10

it's a dog's dinner isn't it?

I have only read LS's statement - interesting:
- it wasn't an apology, it was a statement of regret for the trouble caused by his lack of willingness to shake hands - trouble to LFC, KD and himself. No mention of Evra or MUFC or indeed football as a whole (mentioning his own racism would have been too much to hope for). He still doesn't see what he did wrong. (And neither does Kenny).
- it was a statement made under duress, fearing further FA action, which the club feared, and the reputational damage ensuing.

I think the handshaking thing is important - we did as junior players and it set a tone. To get rid of it is giving way to unseemly minorities and drags us back to a darker age.
And there are bigger things relevant here:
- professionalism. Players claim they are professionals, and that means lots of things, not least of which is adhering to a code of conduct, and sometimes ethics. Shaking the hand of someone you don't like is really small stuff as a professional.
- racism. It is still a big problem in this country and footie is beautifully positioned to lead the way in this. 1.popularity, so many black exponents (tho' few Asian). 2. finacially rewarding, black people can do really well in this industry unlike quite a few others 3. talent, a sort of meritocracy where skin colour doesn't count - results do. 4. Image and role-modelling for young black people - the last few weeks have dealt a bit of a blow to those talented non-white kids who may have thought that discrimination on the footie field is a thing of the past. Nope. They are still there (Suarez for eg) and they have their powerful defenders (LFC for eg).

Bit of a ramble..

Ponders Sun 12-Feb-12 20:59:16

I'm sorry. I made a mistake and I regret what happened. I should have shaken Patrice Evra's hand before the game and I want to apologise for my actions.

that sounds like an apology to me! (even if it isn't sincere)

When I went on TV after yesterday's game I hadn't seen what had happened, but I did not conduct myself in a way befitting of a Liverpool manager during that interview and I'd like to apologise for that."

ditto

they are both apologies for their behaviour yesterday, which is the best we can hope for from the 2 of them

I agree with all you say about handshakes, sportsmanship, meritocracy etc. The Suarez/Terry incidents are very depressing

Panfriedstardust Sun 12-Feb-12 21:16:45

Well, no Ponders, LS - it falls waaay short. Just a sort of politiking which, as you say is prob. the best to be hoped for.
KD? - in the Sky interview he was being utterly dishonest about 'not knowing'. (so what did he think the scuffle in the tunnel at half time was about?). KD apologised for his interview conduct, which is the very least he could have expected to.

The more LFC dig, the more one wishes to take the JCB off them.grin

Panfriedstardust Sun 12-Feb-12 21:57:37

<<BB - just seen "The Guard" with a BAFTA nomination for Original Screenplay. It is fabulous. Needs some Irishness to get it all (watched with a French friend and she was 'uhh?' at parts), but Sgt Boyle is a part to relish.

BelfastBloke Sun 12-Feb-12 23:08:08

I can't imagine a French person watching that in Version Originale!

Yeah, really good. And Mark Strong continues to be brilliant in every film he's in. All those baddies were really good, I thought.

Don't some of the baddies make football references?

Panfriedstardust Sun 12-Feb-12 23:37:44

Mark Strong? Weelll.....no! It's a bit like Russel Crowe in Gladiator. All he had to do was look a bit mean, a bit 'hard', dismissive, short on emotional expanse, and have a bit of 'presence'. Lots of actors can do that. It's a sort of elevation of the undemanding and mediocre beyond it's due.
The baddie with the straggly ginger hair was pretty good though. Until he got shot. And even his death scene was touching.smile

BelfastBloke Mon 13-Feb-12 08:29:07

All this handshake business sounds so trivial. I'm rather bored by it all.

But that goes against my belief that symbolism matters.

When I remember that, I agree with Pan: "I think the handshaking thing is important - we did as junior players and it set a tone. To get rid of it is giving way to unseemly minorities and drags us back to a darker age.
And there are bigger things relevant here:
- professionalism. Players claim they are professionals, and that means lots of things, not least of which is adhering to a code of conduct, and sometimes ethics. Shaking the hand of someone you don't like is really small stuff as a professional.
- racism. It is still a big problem in this country and footie is beautifully positioned to lead the way in this. 1.popularity, so many black exponents (tho' few Asian). 2. finacially rewarding, black people can do really well in this industry unlike quite a few others 3. talent, a sort of meritocracy where skin colour doesn't count - results do. 4. Image and role-modelling for young black people - the last few weeks have dealt a bit of a blow to those talented non-white kids who may have thought that discrimination on the footie field is a thing of the past. Nope. They are still there (Suarez for eg) and they have their powerful defenders (LFC for eg)."

Although up until Saturday I didn't agree with Pan about the way LFC had conducted themselves. I can understand if they genuinely believed Suarez was innocent, they would act that way, no matter what the legal ruling.

Saturday's events changed things. Because of symbolism.

Panfriedstardust Mon 13-Feb-12 11:34:28

Difficult isn't it? I liked LFC. I used to go when I was at Liverpool Uni for three years in the 80s.
The whole issue isn't confined to LS/KD/LFC is it? (tho' it's a real shame the managing Board couldn't stand up to the otherwise unassailable Kenny, and owners had to step in). And good to see MU wanting to draw one of these:
_____________________ underneath it all.

Panfriedstardust Mon 13-Feb-12 11:46:43

and moving on...

really good to see Tevez coming back for MCFC........am sure there will be no fall out from the other players who have battled through the winter, keeping top spot (for now) whilst Carlos winters at home in the southern hemisphere. No, no problems.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 13-Feb-12 21:05:42

Pan I was at Liverpool Uni too, early 90s. Used to go and stand on the Kop for £6 a go.

Panfriedstardust Mon 13-Feb-12 21:28:26

oh happy days, eh? It had excellent atmospheres, and it was really tempting to join in the singing, but loyalties dictated otherwise. V. odd one night standing on the Kop with a MCFC matey cheering them on, and being heavily advised by a Koppite that it was in our immediate health interests to desist. He didn't actually couch it in those terms though.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 13-Feb-12 21:31:00

It was great, got some fond memories. Including being barricaded in The Arkles when it all kicked off between Liverpool and Man U fans outside.

Panfriedstardust Mon 13-Feb-12 21:43:30

The only footie violence I was involved in was in Stanley Park and all the way back walking to Lime Street after beating them in a Cup reply at Goodison in an evening game. (before I lived in Liverpool and we were getting back to Manchester). Possibly the longest night of my then-short life.grin

BelfastBloke Mon 13-Feb-12 22:05:11

When I went away to Anfield a few years ago (when Arsenal were good), the Gooners were singing, "Where's your famous atmosphere?"

(To the tune of Bread of Heaven/You're Not Singing...)

Panfriedstardust Mon 13-Feb-12 22:14:39

and of course there was the editing of the Scouse song "In my Liverpool home", which we turned into a very nasty slur. ( In the current circs it would be indelicate to type out the lyrics.) We did enjoy waving fivers (or tenners if you were really flush) at visiting Scousers to O.T. Nothing like stereotypical-based footie banter.

BelfastBloke Tue 14-Feb-12 06:58:33

It's Tevezday!

Panfriedstardust Tue 14-Feb-12 07:27:53

oh happy day!
I'd said somewhere up thread, or on one of the Capello threads that Tevez/Balotelli will be the incendiary devices that will implode Citeh, but I didn't realise it would be such a blast so soon. Schadenfreude is usually such an unattractive display, but there are exceptions.....

DanFmDorking Tue 14-Feb-12 23:07:03

Returning Man City forward Carlos Tevez claimed that Roberto Mancini treated him like a really rich dog during their spat which saw the Argentine flea to his country and play difficult golf courses for four months. The former Man United striker claimed that for all the mansions, the signing on fees and the luxury surroundings provided, being told to ‘f***ing warm up’ was a step too far.

DaddyTheHouseElf Wed 15-Feb-12 19:38:53

Come on Henry, score your last goal for Arsenal. You've scored the winner in the FA Cup game, and in the Prem game. Do it in the Champions' League as well.

DaddyTheHouseElf Wed 15-Feb-12 21:44:00

Not so much, then.

whenskiesaregrey Wed 15-Feb-12 21:57:20

Tsk not impressed with all these Liverpool students who didn't come to Goodison....

I think someone needs to take KD down a peg or two, he really isn't the king he (or the fans) think he is.

I don't understand how Tevez can now be 'welcomed' back to Citeh after saying he was treated 'like a dog' only days ago on Argentinian T.V.?

Also Spurs fans, what do you think of the rumours that if 'Arry was to go, Moyes is one of the favourites to replace him?

Apparently Mourinho back to Chelsea? Took my son to Everton vs Chelsea at the weekend, his first game grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 15-Feb-12 22:04:21

I have never been to Goodison. No idea why as lots of friends are Evertonians. Heard a great baby name the other week - Eva Toni Ann! Dad was a fan!

Panfriedstardust Wed 15-Feb-12 22:06:09

Went to Goodison once. Got my head kicked in. Not really keen to repeat the experience.smile

Panfriedstardust Wed 15-Feb-12 22:07:13

Moyes would be good at Spurs. You can have Mick McCarthy.....

whenskiesaregrey Wed 15-Feb-12 23:15:38

No thanks! The most depressing man ever.

DanFmDorking Wed 15-Feb-12 23:48:28

Arsenal remind me of Heather Mills.

The second leg's just for show.

Panfriedstardust Fri 17-Feb-12 22:26:04

Ok. Bit of a sort of meh week. The Arse being spanked, MU doing just as is necessary ( bit predictable). Citeh doing really well away, and liking Balotelli/MCFC's formal complaint.
And Scholes invitation to the Euros.

DaddyTheHouseElf Sat 18-Feb-12 17:52:36

Arsenal have lost three defenders to injury in the last three games, including this game going on right now.

Warlock Sat 18-Feb-12 18:03:26

Forest win 2-0 against Coventry and move out of the bottom 3. Can we survive having sold all our strikers ?????

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 18-Feb-12 19:42:57

Get in!!!

Panfriedstardust Sat 18-Feb-12 20:14:23

KDDDD - was thinking about you as the minutes dribbled away to the whistle. Such energy, organisation and most of all, belief. Well done yous!

Arse? Oh dear. It wasn't pretty, was it?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 18-Feb-12 21:24:39

Thank you Pan! We are all chuffed to bits. Makes a welcome change.

DanFmDorking Sat 18-Feb-12 23:09:17

For sale: 1 ticket for the Arsenal end-of-season party

Reason: I'm at work tomorrow.

BelfastBloke Sun 19-Feb-12 21:28:27

Ho ho ho

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 20-Feb-12 18:41:49

I'm so sad to see Quinny go. What a guy!

BelfastBloke Tue 21-Feb-12 20:15:14

I'm so sad to see Chelsea score.

LovedayPan Sun 26-Feb-12 12:23:37

Squeaky bum time in North London today. Have the sneakiest of feelings that Arse will do it - Spurs will have most possession but not be able to capitalise.

vP will score.[brave of me!]

LovedayPan Sun 26-Feb-12 14:49:01

3-2 < ahem. So far so good. Am I the only footie person in Christendom who had a faith in Arsene?>

mayorquimby Sun 26-Feb-12 15:41:16

thank christ for giggs

LovedayPan Sun 26-Feb-12 15:51:34

For a moment I thought 'same old' - get on top and take our foot off the gas and lose/draw. Now I am thinking same old. grin

DanFmDorking Sun 26-Feb-12 16:05:17

What's the time?
Five past Friedal.

LovedayPan Sun 26-Feb-12 20:11:10

no sign of BB yet.......

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 26-Feb-12 20:53:46

Can't believe MO'N lost on my birthday weekend. Four nil!!

LovedayPan Sun 26-Feb-12 21:50:08

If only MO'N knew!!

Warlock Sun 26-Feb-12 22:02:30

and Forest win again. Only 22 points off the playoffs :-)))

BelfastBloke Sun 26-Feb-12 22:36:11

Well, it took a while to get home from the match; and then after feeding the kids and bathing them and putting them to bed I've watched about half of the match on Sky Plus, and watched it again on MOTD2.

And gave a declamatory speech to DW about how this proves football isn't 'just a game'. Its about joy, and community, and transcendence, etc etc etc.

LovedayPan Sun 26-Feb-12 22:37:47

And you're a bit pissed, now.

well done.

BelfastBloke Sun 26-Feb-12 22:47:52

Cheers Pan.

BelfastBloke Wed 29-Feb-12 21:39:18

Thoughts on England's friendly against Holland? Gerrard was pretty useless before he went off.

LovedayPan Wed 29-Feb-12 22:25:42

More upbeat than the old duffers experts are saying. I thought Parker or Smalling were men of the match. Smalling was excellent - didn't put a foot wrong, until he lost his head. Liked the resilience of coming back from 2 goals and being a bit disorientated. I was asking for Young to be substituted as he was wandering round midfield doing nothing...

And Scotland scrape a draw against the mighty Slovenia....

LovedayPan Sat 03-Mar-12 12:24:59

Find myself in the unfamiliar position of actually supporting Arsenal over L'pool today, purely over the racism thing - so out goes my history in Liv'pool, fellow NW port-city attachments, and the emotional appeal of the whole club.....in comes a bit of desire to see Arse giving them a good hiding on their own turf.
Low-scoring game tho - Arsenal have no proper defence, but then the Scousers have nobody to take advantage of that. 0-2 or 1-2?

BelfastBloke Sat 03-Mar-12 15:48:25

Scousers 1 - arsenal 2

How can king kenny moan that they should have won the game when arsenal scored all the three goals?

And Suarez dived so blatantly for the penalty. I know you probably havent seen it, but do you think a penalty save can actually be the save of the season?

Oblomov Sat 03-Mar-12 17:23:32

Laughing at Dan's 'Five past Freidel'. Was so embarrassing, I nearly died.
I can't see Spurs beating Manu U tomorrow either.
We were like this at the same time last year. Just fell apart and lost loads of games, that we should have won easily. Thats how we lost our Champions League place. Can see it all happening all over again ...... sad

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 03-Mar-12 19:05:36

Derby Day tomorrow. Nervous.

LovedayPan Sat 03-Mar-12 23:04:26

just seen the 'penalty' at Anfield. Suarez confirms his status of 'less than good'.
<cough score prediction cough>

BelfastBloke Sun 04-Mar-12 00:05:39

You're a predictive genius, Pan.

LovedayPan Sun 04-Mar-12 09:05:24

I knew you were going say that.grin And they were fantastic saves.

And bring on the Spurs. Out with dd today so will only get to see 2nd half in pub. Has turned into a bit of a wild card game, yes? But the title still is in our own hands. This morning.

weirdstuff Sun 04-Mar-12 09:19:11

Oooh hello,just popped back into Mn after a long absence (tis Mavis,if anyone remembers) and am chuffed this thread is still goingAm pleased to report that a season of watching the Tigers has proven to be quite entertaining the Boy is very happy and I would LOVE it if they managed to reach the Playoffs.I think The Hammers for automatic promotion,they are definitely the best Championship side I have seen this season.Southampton doing well at the moment.The playoff spots are in the lap of the Gods.I am delighted to report that my own team,Forest,after a truly dire season (Imagine being the only Forest fan on a coach full of Tigers fans after watching the humiliation at the city ground) have managed to start pulling away from the dreaded Relegation zone.Keep it up lads!!

BelfastBloke Sun 04-Mar-12 09:34:40

I remember, Mavis. Thanks for the Championship update. Although I'm obsessed with what we're contractually obliged to call "The Battle for Fourth". What I'm hoping is Spurs will be dragged into TBFF with a defeat today, and Arsenal could catch them, for third.

It'd be nice to watch the Tyne derby, but if I have to prioritise (as I do, given the argument about family time we had yesterday), I'll have to watch Spurs v Man U.

Pan, hope you don't get caught out by the diving cheat Gareth Bale (even though we're not allowed to call him that, because 1. he's British, and 2. he's The Greatest Player in the History of the Premiership.

weirdstuff Sun 04-Mar-12 09:37:43

And another thing!I am suprised there is no mention of the truly Epic match Liverpool v Cardiff last week.How good was that.Needless to say I was rooting for the Championship side and didn't they play well.My Welshy Cardiffian mate was gutted.(Mind you at least he had the rugby to cheer him up.)

weirdstuff Sun 04-Mar-12 09:43:03

Ah BB,i kind of like Arsenal.I think Arsene is a cool dude,and of course,you have the WONDERFUL Monsieur Henri back (though I am quite alarmed by the facial hair he has sprouted).Added to that that they play Entertaining Football (which as a devotee of Forest in the Clough years is a thing to be admired).

LovedayPan Sun 04-Mar-12 09:55:17

morning Mavis. Glad to see you back.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 04-Mar-12 13:14:48

One nil up. So far I have a headache and feel sick. It's all the effort of not swearing in front of DD.

BelfastBloke Sun 04-Mar-12 13:30:56

Bendtner scored the penalty for Sunderland. We used to sing about him, "We've got the best player, in his head ..."

Wish we still had him ahead of Chamack and Park, for when van Persie runs out of steam.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 04-Mar-12 13:34:05

My next door neighbour had some food with him in Amsterdam airport on Thursday. He said he will be back at Arsenal next season but he doesn't know what they will do with him sad

Oblomov Sun 04-Mar-12 16:26:55

AVB sacked. Ohhhhhh, wonder who will replace him?
We are missing Bale against Man U. Not good.

BelfastBloke Sun 04-Mar-12 16:53:22

This is a very blah game on a very blah afternoon.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 04-Mar-12 19:11:48

Bet Pardew will officially rule himself out soon grin

LovedayPan Sun 04-Mar-12 21:51:42

bit scary isn't it? We play so poorly against a 'pretender' and still walk away so comfortably with 3 points. And thanks for the gifting of goals, Spurs!

The Master Plan is to let the noisy neighbours have a bit of fun in the sun, and then on 30th April cruelly remind them just who still is the Evil Empire daddy..

Have Chelsea really lost a manager today? I thought Drogba, Cole, Terry and Lampard are still there?

MrJelly Sun 04-Mar-12 21:53:56

Pan you sound exactly like one of my friends who is an avid United fan - he comes out with all that sh*t aswell wink

LovedayPan Sun 04-Mar-12 21:57:13

<ahem> Which bit is shit? With respect.

ceebeegeebies Sun 04-Mar-12 22:14:00

All the stuff about how Utd are 'letting' City be at the top of the table and how Utd will take their rightful place as City will choke in time - not showing much sign of it are they??

(It is MrJelly btw - have changed my name back to my usual name)

LovedayPan Sun 04-Mar-12 22:21:53

ah, is that all? City won't actually 'choke', tho' it is in their DNA to. Have a little look at the remaining fixtures for both clubs? We'll prob. have it safely wrapped up before a nice evening at the Etihad.smile

Oblomov Mon 05-Mar-12 06:21:13

Fixtures:
Everton, Stoke, Chelsea, Swansea, Sunderland, Norwich, Bolton, QPR, Blackburn, Villa, Fulham.
Doesn't look that bad, does it. But I know Spurs, some of thse we will throw away.
Hi Ceebee.

Oblomov Mon 05-Mar-12 06:34:44

Man U have no more saturday games. And the 'decider' game against Man City will now be played on a Monday night. As a request was made by Sky. Sky has all the money. They decide when matches are played. errrrr. matches are supposed to be played on a saturday, you know. its not really cricket football, is it?

BelfastBloke Mon 05-Mar-12 10:58:16

Good weekend for the Arse. We beat a contender for 4th place, and of the others, Newcastle draws, Chelsea loses, and Spurs loses. Could we finish above Spurs? St Totteringham's Day is still feasible, even if it occurs on the last day of the season!

DanFmDorking Mon 05-Mar-12 22:42:57

Benitez:- I want to manage a 'top side that can fight for titles'.
Not chelsea then.

Sven Goran Eriksonn admits he has interest in the Chelsea vacancy.
Me too, I can't wait to find out who their next manager is.

Torres is the proud holder of a new football record.
He is now averaging 1.6 goals a manager at Chelsea.

BelfastBloke Mon 05-Mar-12 22:56:01

Nice stat!

LovedayPan Sat 10-Mar-12 14:25:31

Well we aren't going to have the distraction of European football til next season...met a bunch of Atletic supporters in M/c centre early Friday morning on way to Piccadilly station - very happy chappies. They have just become my new 'second team'. Do we all have one of those?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 10-Mar-12 17:22:15

Yeeeeeoooooooooooooooo

thecarbonaraPan Sun 11-Mar-12 14:07:47

MysticPan - comfortable win for us - 3-0 with Rooney scoring again? Scoring draw at the Liberty.

BelfastBloke Sun 11-Mar-12 20:36:14

It's ok to have a second team in other countries, other leagues.

Childcare sorted for the Arsenal Newcastle match on Monday night. Can we catch the Totts?

thecarbonaraPan Mon 12-Mar-12 08:42:37

Well that turned out better than we had hoped for, or anticipated. (tearful Citeh supporter on MOTD2 - sight for sore eyes..)Next up Citeh v Chelski, Utd v Wolves. No disrespect to Wolves....but...

Totts are there to be taken (sorry Oblomov) but defence need to stay awake all 90 mins tonight (unlike one or two of ours..)

BelfastBloke Tue 13-Mar-12 00:21:46

Vermaalen in the 95th min!

thecarbonaraPan Tue 13-Mar-12 08:13:41

I know!

Defence did more than stay awake for 90 mins.
So how many points are you away from Citeh? Just a thought......

BelfastBloke Wed 14-Mar-12 19:29:06

Marina Hyde's excellent Guardian article about Andy Gray and Richard Keys:

"I suppose there are more excruciating ways to try and get yourself back on the telly. Take Alan Partridge in a Castrol GTX jacket, attending the funeral of BBC commissioning editor Tony Hayers and attempting to extricate himself from a conversation with the widow to go and network with Hayers's successor.

But even so, I find myself shuddering with the suspicion that the Sky Sports Two have, in the past week or so, launched a stealth campaign to get their faces back on Britain's screens where they belong. The broadcasters in question are, of course, Richard Keys and Andy Gray – currently of TalkSport, but formerly the faces of Sky Sports' football coverage before they respectively resigned and were sacked for a sexism row sparked by their overheard comments about the female assistant referee Sian Massey.

The ingratitude of the network beggared belief. As Richard and Andy's publicity material subsequently insisted, they were "the driving force behind Sky Sports' rise to football supremacy", becoming "synonymous with the rise of Premiership football throughout the world". And which of us has not found ourselves in a watering hole in some remote region of the globe, the conversational barrier traversed not by smiling reference to Wayne Rooney, but by excited natives speaking the international language of Keysey and Grayey?

Yet back home in our benighted land, these two assets remain currently consigned to radio. Where's the justice? That was certainly a question that Gray appeared to be pondering in his first major interview since the affair, granted to the London Evening Standard last week, in which he revealed that the whole business had shaken him to the extent that he contemplated suicide. Instead of suicide, though, he opted to launch himself and Richard on the after-dinner circuit with a show entitled "Smash It!" – a reference to some of the iffy studio "banter" for which their Sky contracts had been terminated. (I think the "it" in question was the same it which Richard imagined Sky pundit Jamie Redknapp hanging out the back of, but parsers of their Socratic dialogues will be able to shed more light on which object agreed with which verb and so on.)

The interview continued with Andy conceding provocatively that his TV career "may" be over, suggesting such a loss would be down to shadowy "people who make these decisions". And were that all we'd heard from our heroic double act, that would be that.

But on Monday, Keys took to the pair's joint Twitter account – and gave the least patronising of blessings to a certain decision by a certain female assistant referee. The official in question was Massey, and it must have made her little day to discover that her correct offside verdict on Micah Richards's "goal" in the dying seconds of Manchester City's 1-0 defeat by Swansea on Sunday has been given the all-important Keys 'n' Gray stamp of approval. "For the record," tweeted Richard on behalf of the pair, "great call Sian. Delighted for her – as we were a year ago."

As they were a year ago? Forgive me for allowing daylight to intrude on magic, but Richard notoriously greeted the discovery that Sian would be running the line at Molineux with a supportive "the game's gone mad".

So it's not Richard's attempt to play the old sage that's so troubling, despite his congratulations to Sian coming over with all the sledgehammer charm of saying: "Well done on your offside decision, dear." It's the hilarious airbrushing of history which apparently seeks to reinvent the pair as longtime champions of female football officialdom in all its forms. (I say the pair, as the Twitter account is held in the name of Keys and Gray, and in its blurb Richard states that he writes while "Andy reads". And yes, I confess myself deeply uneasy with any monkey/organ grinder analogy in which the famously hirsute Keys is not typecast as the simian – but as I'm sure one or other of them would observe with the analytical insight that used to earn them seven-figure salaries, you can only play what's put in front of you.)

The gear-screeching U-turn is not without historical precedent. Only last year, the trades description-baiting TV funnyman Jim Davidson claimed to be reformed, having written a play in which a bigoted old comedian (played by him) was berated by a young black comic for the pain his careless jokes had wrought. Described as an "intelligent, tense script" – by the Daily Mail – the opus actually got Davidson in the papers again.

Alas, while Jim might have been able to hold the line of his transformation when uttering prescripted words, interviews proved less manageable. "Fat women?" he demanded at one unguarded moment during a promotional chat. "Can't bear them. I'm going to put thin turnstiles on theatres to keep them out. Otherwise they'll each take up two seats and eat all the popcorn. Women are meant to be slim and attractive. There's no excuse for being that fat and they're a burden on the NHS …"

Ah well, Jim Mark II was mildly intriguing while he lasted. And in this spirit we must look forward to hearing more from revisionist feminist deejay Richard Keys – perhaps a tweeted series on his feminist heroines – until his mask slips and we are once more disgorged from the rabbit hole."

thecarbonaraPan Thu 15-Mar-12 00:24:38

sad thing is, imo, in the depths of the barrel that is footie punditary, we don't see a shining Prince of the future. None. <of course tv punditary in footie is really absurd but an apparent demand>.

DanFmDorking Thu 15-Mar-12 20:50:24

Don't worry Man Utd fans
If you quickly turn over to Channel 5+1, you’re still in the Europa League!

thefresheggnoodlePan Thu 15-Mar-12 21:09:51

Crumbs. A bitter gooner. What a surprise!

thefresheggnoodlePan Sun 18-Mar-12 19:00:02

Fabrice Muamba

If Mumsnet has 'government trackers' keeping an eye on developments here, then maybe F.A./F.I.F.A. may keep an eye on BB's Rolling Footie Thread...

If so, or if not, then I am sure all footie fans, and posters here, are keen to pass on their very best of wishes and hopes for Fabrice and his young family, and anticipate that he comes out of this episode as best as he can possibly do so.

MNHelenisPansfavourite Wed 21-Mar-12 23:42:57

"St Totteringham's Day is still feasible.." et voila.

Been a Man City fan for the last 44 years...through bad times and worse grin Am a bit of an armchair supporter at the moment...rely on my SIL's season ticket and her not being able to go to the match LOL.

.....also live in the Bolton area and hoping Muamba makes a total and full recovery.

BelfastBloke Thu 22-Mar-12 14:56:24

It's not St Totteringham's Day until it is mathematically impossible for Spurs to finish above Arsenal in the final reckoning.

That means St Totteringham's Day is likely to be the final day of the season, I should think.

Unless Harry continues to work his recent magic ...

MNHelenisPansfavourite Thu 22-Mar-12 20:14:57

oh I seeee....but by then the bottom three will be:

Spurs
Wolves
Wigan

surely?

BelfastBloke Thu 22-Mar-12 21:42:36

Nah, he'll do that to England, not to Spurs.

Going back a few comments, Pan; wouldn't you say that Gary Neville is a shining Prince of punditry? Maybe you haven't had a chance to see him very much this season, but lots of people I know are impressed with him.

Ruefully, surprisedly, impressed.

MNHelenisPansfavourite Thu 22-Mar-12 23:05:01

erm..GN..I am afraid as a 'seasoned' GN observer in the last 15 years or so I am prob. too immersed in the 'other GN' - the myopic, ranting, slightly unhinged GN - he is/was a real favourite at OT - epitomised the spirit that carried the day often. So being dispassionate about him is tricky. I know he has a column in some newspaper, and he has obv. worked on presentation skills, but Utd fans will still be thinking 'go on, say what you really feel!'. He is certainly v. intelligent, and astute about off-field stuff (investing in a fans club facing the Scoreboard End/main frontage). And being under SAF's tutelage for so long will have benefitted him massively. Will def. check him out now.

When do we get to shoot Lawro and Hansen?

BelfastBloke Mon 26-Mar-12 07:51:06

Thank you to Chelsea and Tottenham for drawing on Saturday. Turned out nice again!

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 27-Mar-12 20:30:05

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

BelfastBloke Tue 27-Mar-12 23:00:00

yeah, i noticed that. Sorry.

Oblomov Wed 28-Mar-12 18:49:37

Trying to work out if Spurs will keep their 4th place. Just can't be sure.

BelfastBloke Thu 29-Mar-12 14:18:05

How it Tottenham's run-in? I haven't checked.

Arsenal still need to play home games against Man Citeh and Chavski.

Oblomov Thu 29-Mar-12 17:18:04

We have all the bottom teams to play. Sunderland is the highest placed, we have left. But bottom league teams, is still no guaranteed win for Spurs. who knows what games we will throw away!!

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 31-Mar-12 07:43:42

Hey, we are not a bottom team grin

BelfastBloke Sun 01-Apr-12 07:59:02

I miss Bendtner. He played brilliantly for Sunderland yesterday.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 01-Apr-12 08:36:12

He did! Great result for us (and Man U!)

MNHelenisPansfavourite Sun 01-Apr-12 09:34:09

More twisties than a twisty thing made out of twisty stuff.

Thank you KDDDD for all of your hard work yesterday! (is young McLean the find of the season?) I did wonder upthread if Balotteli and Tevez would be Utd's best players - but possibly Mancini is actually playing a blinder for us. So many gaffs and stuff open to misinterpretations, and undermining his own players - and THEN have Viera commence a mind-game war, where there is only going to be one winner. Citeh really didn't need Tevez - has their 'dip' coincided with the return of the prodigal one?
Still, Blackburn can still bite our red bums.
St Totters day has been postponed?

MNHelenisPansfavourite Sun 01-Apr-12 10:27:09

The other magnificant management master-stroke of Robbie's was to piss the entire squad off by making them remain in Portugal after their Euro game for two days and then travel straight to Swansea for a Sunday game. Lots of reported grumblings and little wonder they were not up for it and so lose another 3 points.

genius.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 01-Apr-12 13:26:19

McLean is fantastic. DH is a Man U fan so he was very pleased with the result.
Wonder how King Kenny will get on at the discount tracksuit arena today.

MNHelenisPansfavourite Sun 01-Apr-12 13:28:44

you could still feck it all up for us on the last day! Think it'll be sewn up by then though......

DanFmDorking Sun 01-Apr-12 14:18:01

What channel was showing the Arsenal match yesterday?
because I checked Comedy Central and they weren’t showing it.

MNHelenisSTILLPansfavourite Sun 08-Apr-12 11:54:59

Super-douper-easy-peasy Sunday!! Gooners, step up, eh? Where's your pride?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 08-Apr-12 16:24:15

Well done Man U!!
Hope we kept the Mags out of the champions league.

MNHelenisSTILLPansfavourite Sun 08-Apr-12 18:53:23

Yes Arsenal are a one-man team...from the top, with feeling....SONG

DanFmDorking Sun 08-Apr-12 18:57:14

As Man City leave the stadium the receptionist says "Goodbye Mr. Mancini".
"Just call me Mancini" he replies.
"Why?" she questions.
"Because I don't have a title" responds Mancini.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 08-Apr-12 20:23:43

I do like Mancini's blue coat.

BelfastBloke Sun 08-Apr-12 20:31:11

Sang at the Citeh fans: "You're the Spurs of Manchester..."

Sang at Tevez: "What you doing warming up?"

also,
"Carlos Tevez,
He plays when he wants."

MNHelenisSTILLPansfavourite Sun 08-Apr-12 20:37:40

Ha!

Sung too many times this adfternoon...

"They're crackin' up,
they're crackin' up,
Citeh's crackin' up"

repeat.

MNHelenisSTILLPansfavourite Sun 08-Apr-12 20:41:03

may have missed the "they're crackin'.." line somewhere in there....
Balotelli - the boy has serious problems. Lovely bloke, but not sure a Premiership pitch is where he should be.

BelfastBloke Mon 09-Apr-12 08:09:06

Pan, not only did most of the stadium do 'The Poznan' while singing '1-0 to the Arsenal', but we also sang the Spurs song
'I wanna be in that number,
when the wheels come off the bus'.

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 11-Apr-12 21:48:15

Pan is your bum squeaking after tonight?

Oblomov Thu 12-Apr-12 09:32:14

Man U losing to Wigan 1-0, you say?
Mancini bye bye? Bye bye Ballotelli and Tevez? What will Mancini do with Dzeko? He doesn't seem to favour him. Dh said a long time ago that he couldn't beleive that Dzeko got a hatrick and was then dropped. Dh says he would love to have Dzeko at Spurs. But as its lookign like we won't even get CL, that seems unlikely. How painful would it be, to lose CL to the Magpies.

MNHelenisSTILLPansfavourite Thu 12-Apr-12 12:33:36

KDDDD - my bum regularly squeaks! Esp. when we forget how to defend! MU watchers may notice how we drop right back as a defensive unit, (esp in Europe)incl midfielders, and often leave the sort of yawning lines across the 18 yd box that Wigan found so easily. Having said that their first 'goal' should have stood..but then the blatant hand ball was missed, by the official on that side of the pitch.
We are getting such crass decision-making one suspects a conspiracy by officials to heighten the tension - as if it were needed...

It's quite funny seeing Roberto trying his hand at mind games (it's all over!), as if it will make any difference.

Twisty thing it may be, but when it straightens itself out, Spurs may be getting a crack at the Europa League....hmm

Oblomov Thu 12-Apr-12 13:32:31

Dh maintains that there are "plenty more twists and turns in this yet".

MNHelenisSTILLPansfavourite Thu 12-Apr-12 13:35:21

Remember when Pardew took over at Newkie - a local poll had him at 2% approval for the appointment - now that's pretty twisty-turny!
Looking fwd to the management-change carousel - which has to happen once 'Arry swans off to the FA - Jose looking to return to PL and maybe get some better experience before taking over at OT...

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 12-Apr-12 15:07:51

DH was working late last night and when I told him the Man U result he went white grin

BelfastBloke Thu 12-Apr-12 18:26:50

I'm hoping KenDoddsDadsDog's husband is a black man.

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 12-Apr-12 19:14:51

Ha! No he's Irish and as milk bottle pale as they come.

MNHelenisSTILLPansfavourite Thu 12-Apr-12 19:16:05

So he went some kind of unattractive translucent sort of thing??

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 12-Apr-12 20:09:44

Yes and looked worried. And then I told him the Man City result to bestow further torture grin

Pan Fri 13-Apr-12 18:26:25

Another twist to go in the twisty thing?
City should beat Norwich - but won't.
Utd should beat AV - and will.
S'land should help themselves to a hatful at wolves - and will?

The most interesting game is reserved for Arses and the Mighty Wigan, and who is going to call that one??

whenskiesaregrey Fri 13-Apr-12 18:26:34

COME ON YOU BLUES! Just starting our journey on the way to Wembley, come on! Tomorrow will either be one of the worst days or the best days of my life!

Pan Fri 13-Apr-12 18:27:19

oh yeah that FA Cup thingy!grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 13-Apr-12 18:46:29

Good luck whenskiesare grey. If you play like you did against us you will do it !

whenskiesaregrey Fri 13-Apr-12 19:33:42

Which time KDDD? The quarter, or last week? wink

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 13-Apr-12 19:34:33

Cheeky grin

BelfastBloke Sat 14-Apr-12 07:30:48

I can't get over the fact that every weekend, at least one of the Spanish games kicks off at 10pm. Tonight it's Levante v Barcelona. That means they finish at midnight!

How is Spanish culture set up for that? Does public transport run through the night? Is the siesta widespread throughout spain? Do kids just not go to such late games? Do the drunk fans walk shouting through the streets at 3pm? Are weeknight games ever played that late?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 14-Apr-12 07:36:33

Spanish culture is totally set up for that. I used to finish work at 9pm but had a break from 1pm and went back at 4 or 5pm
Not all businesses work like that these days though. My friend works a more normal day just with a longer lunch in the summer.
At the weekend we wouldn't even go out til at least midnight.
And people don't really get drunk like we do. Football is very male and more about the testosterone than the beer!

Pan Sat 14-Apr-12 13:29:56
Pan Sat 14-Apr-12 14:41:50

<tears up accummulator w/end footie bet ticket.>

Pan Sun 15-Apr-12 18:27:13

Has this Tottenham team actually played together before?

BelfastBloke Sun 15-Apr-12 20:00:50

Best attacking team in England. "We know that..."

Oblomov Sun 15-Apr-12 21:31:03

Twas Painfull. sad

BelfastBloke Mon 16-Apr-12 14:28:10

What's painful is watching the slagging that the Mirror is giving Alan Davies over his comments about the Hillsborough anniversaries.

It's pure pandering, knowing that Scousers (rightly) boycott the Sun, so positioning the Mirror to be the natural alternative.

Pan Mon 16-Apr-12 14:43:48

Not see that in the Mirror, BB. And it sounds pretty cynical of the Mirror. But I am utterly with him on this. Am just surprised the authorities have let them get away with it for so long.

DanFmDorking Wed 18-Apr-12 01:00:41

The Arsenal way of football is a form of art.
That's why we have statues in defence.

Pan Wed 18-Apr-12 19:28:25

About to settle in and watch a full Barcelona game - first time since MU were publically spanked by them. <still not entirely recovered from that experience>. Suspect Wigan April 2012 vintage could do pretty well against them!

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 22-Apr-12 10:36:19

What the buggery happened to Spurs yesterday. Letting the mags into a champions league spot. Tsk.

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 12:09:01

What's nice about recording MOTD is that when Shearer opens his mouth one can pause it, go and open a beer make a cup of tea, and on return you can f fwd through him.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 22-Apr-12 12:15:50

grin And you won't have missed anything anyway!

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 12:29:40

Actually he make s a bit more sense in silent fast fwd. I did unfortunatly catch him saying that the situation with 'arry and England was nothing to do with Spurs lack of form, almost to the day Capello resigned. I know Oblomov thinks Spurs collapse in the final furlong, but this season has been timely and dramatic.

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 16:20:47

Boy we DO like to make it difficult for ourselves! Etihad here we come. But I've always admired Wolves' resilience and goal-scoring threat.hmm

BelfastBloke Sun 22-Apr-12 16:38:26

I wish I'd watched that game. 4-4!

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 16:50:34

BB, I was painting staircase spindles at the time, with R5 commentary. My coverage was much better than Utd's. Standing back in defence on the 18 yd line. Again! Does SAF not read BB's Rolling Football Thread??

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 16:55:17

No it was TalkSport with Stan Collymore.....he spoketh a lot of sense....

BelfastBloke Sun 22-Apr-12 17:00:11

Some of my Arsenal mates think Collymore's an idiot; but I like his commentary.

He can occasionally get a bit arsey about his audience (ie: people who "haven't played the game professionally") but most of what he says is solid.

And he's got a much broader vocabulary and has some extremely literary turns of phrase than I would have anticipated from a professional footballer (especially one with that accent..!)

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 17:04:53

yep - was a bit patronising re non-players, but was cutting, and amusing, on some non-footie themes. And the accent does not help...

BelfastBloke Sun 22-Apr-12 17:09:41

might have to watch MOTD2. Looks like Wolves aren't being that resilient.

When's the Manchester derby?

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 17:14:50

Evening of 30th April - next Monday. Will be ugly.

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 17:17:03

or..There Will Be Blood.

BelfastBloke Sun 22-Apr-12 17:18:09

Which would be the most amusing scenario? (I am not prepared to contemplate Arsenal not finishing third, even though I'm aware that could well happen. Especially after what I witnessed yesterday)

Option A:
1st - Citeh
2nd - Utd
3rd - Arse
4th - Spurs, but then Chavski win the Champs League and take Spurs's spot in next year's CL.

Option B
1st - Citeh
2nd - Utd
3rd - Arse
4th - Geordies

I suppose option A is the most amusing, but it does mean the Chavs winning the CL.

Torn.

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 17:30:00

Neither amuses.grin

And Citeh have to travel to Geordieland, which isn't the push-over it was. And we have to visit KDDDD's front room on final day. With so many ex Utd players there, it could be interesting....

if Citeh were 'Penzance AFC', or 'Rockall Utd' I wouldn't mind so much. But they aren't. So I do.

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 17:31:55

You can't not like Mancini. Or covet Aguero. Just wish they were somewhere else!

BelfastBloke Sun 22-Apr-12 17:42:01

Yeah, Citeh have irritatingly got a lot of ex-Arsenal players (including Vieira as director of footy, or something!) so I'm not sure who I would prefer to win the title. Don't really care, I suppose, as Citeh are bound to win it sooner or later.

I suppose I don't want Chelsea to win the Champs League.

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 17:56:36

....don't think Shitty winning the league is a foregone. Losing it again this season will bring an element of enquiry from the Sheiks re their investment. Cue a chop and change, strict financial regulation ( which I don't fully follow, but who does?) and they become another mid-tabler. Except worse because unlike Chelsea for eg they don't have a wide fan-base and a Big Club attraction. Just a sort of expensive wannabes, that failed. So the Sheiks move on, into Chinese football IF they like their remunerative footie.

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 18:08:22

as I'd like to think...

and can Arsenal manage yet another season without a bit of sliverware? Do you they need a dose of Jose?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 22-Apr-12 18:18:13

Are the last games of the season on a Sunday as normal? I'm baby sitting my DSis new born so she can go to the game.
Poor Wolves. I hate seeing the fans after relegation. ( Apart from one or two teams that is)

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 18:21:55

yes, Sun 13th May - we visit your welcoming arms, and Citeh snuffle a draw aganst QPR visitors who will be fighting for survival.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 22-Apr-12 20:02:05

Are you coming up Pan? Seeing as there is a good affiliation with Man U I think you will probably murder us!

Pan Sun 22-Apr-12 20:22:29

oh dream land KD - it's tough enough to get a home ticket. Away tickets are hens' teeth. Me and a mate snuk into a Carling Cup game two seasons ago - paying at gate. I don't think any last game is easy for anyone - the last hurrah, and the last chance to impress managers before the break. And I don't think MO would be encouraging a softly-softly approach either!!

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 22-Apr-12 21:08:42

Man U had their allocation cut as well as the fans refuse to sit down smile
Hope it's a party with Marty all round.

BelfastBloke Wed 25-Apr-12 06:30:10

John Terry really is an arsehole, isn't he?

Pan Wed 25-Apr-12 06:52:58

He occupies a special place in my affections too. Genuine, demonstrable arsehole. Hope this sways the jury on 9th July re the likelihood of his ability to control himself.

BelfastBloke Wed 25-Apr-12 08:40:32

I don't suppose you watched the game, did you Pan?

It really was something. Although I did watch the last 20mins on x2 speed. That was all the same.

You could see Torres not really attempting to defend. So in effect, they were playing with nine men some of the time. But then Torres scored so all is forgiven.

Pan Wed 25-Apr-12 13:56:13

No, didn't. Looking fwd to highlights this evening.

Heard the first half on radio. (those spindles don't get a second coat themselves..). Went to shops and returned expecting a hatful. Horrified to hear Barca will still knocking. Did wonder if losing one player against Barca actually makes that much difference. Chavski weren't playing an open sweeping style exactly. Just bunging up a small space.

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 25-Apr-12 18:26:26

Did you hear Gary Neville's commentary at the goal? Very funny.

BelfastBloke Wed 25-Apr-12 18:29:47

Neville's goalgasm

Pan Wed 25-Apr-12 19:13:15

He is soooo macho. And soooo camp. Same thing really.grin

I am about to swtich on ITV 1. I assume I am about to watch the CL winners playing.

And f""k the spindles!

Pan Wed 25-Apr-12 19:27:41

And my Coventry mate, re relegation. He sees it as accepting the inevitable. And worse. He sees a free fall, to the basement.

Oblomov Sun 29-Apr-12 18:13:23

So Spurs won today. But our performance was poor. We should have tucked away 6, like Chelsea did. We need the goal difference. we wasted that chance. stupid.
Even then, I fear Belfast's A option ... Please God don't let Chelsea win CL. I watched the whole game and yes we all know JT is thug, but he claimed innocence at HT, and then at Full-time announced he had let his team-mates down. hmm Yet he still is allowed to lift the trophyshock Errrrrr that is so WRONG.
Looking forward to Tomorrow's Man derby.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 29-Apr-12 19:26:58

So please for Spurs today!

MaryA74 Mon 30-Apr-12 14:10:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BelfastBloke Mon 30-Apr-12 16:16:01

Good luck for tonight, Pan. Not that I particularly care who wins, but you're good to chat to.

(I may retract these good wishes once I have discussed the matter with the Gooner who's watching it with me. Haven't had a chance to think it through yet.)

Pan Mon 30-Apr-12 16:24:57

I would feel the same way too if it were Arse v Spurs, and for the very same reason, BB.

Been off today largely seeing to storm damage at Pan Heights, so keeping mind off the subject. Due to take seats in the local approx 7.30pm. Bum def. making squeaky noises...

Oblomov Mon 30-Apr-12 16:34:56

Am so loking forward to this match. It has been built up to be epic. let's hope it is.
Was a bit surprised by the Roy announcement re England job last night. Not that anyone had ever said anything about 'Arry, but we all thouyght it was 'im, didn't we? hmm Dh still maintains that many fans would want him over Roy. Not so sure myself. Fact is he's only had 4 wins out of 14 recently. Hardly promoting yourself for the England job, is he?

Pan Mon 30-Apr-12 16:51:15

just been tweeted on my feed by local journo :

"MUFC and MCFC 'half and half friendship scarves' are apparently being sold on Market Street. Not convinced they'll be best-sellers..."

Pan Mon 30-Apr-12 17:13:37

I do think the Clough-'arry comparison is working it a bit. Reddies has nothing like the track record of Clough, and Roy is much better an alternative than Greenwood was ever to Cloughie, yes?

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 30-Apr-12 18:50:10

Ooh a deleted message on the footie thread. How exciting.
Good luck tonight Pan

Oblomov Mon 30-Apr-12 19:16:40

Troll Tres exciting. Mary posted on 6 threads at approx 2pm and all have been deleted. Wonder what she posted on our footie thread. Mind boggles.

Oblomov Mon 30-Apr-12 19:16:41

Troll Tres exciting. Mary posted on 6 threads at approx 2pm and all have been deleted. Wonder what she posted on our footie thread. Mind boggles.

Pan Mon 30-Apr-12 19:21:47

aw thanks for good wishes KDDDD!

Line ups interesting. Citeh unchanged. Us trying to counter-balance being over-run in midfield - Scholes is great on the ball, but he doesn't have the legs to get back for 90 mins. Park in. Good. Am rabbitting.

Right. Boots laced, shinpads arranged, socks pulled up, badge kissed - and we're in the tunnel!

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 30-Apr-12 19:52:36

DH volunteered to put DD to bed so that she was asleep by the time Gary Neville got out his pointy stick.

Oblomov Mon 30-Apr-12 21:28:30

Gary Neville at HT "MC have been in control for the last 15 minutes". Err no. dream on. Man U were strong in the first few minutes, maybe 10. Man City have been running it for the last 35-40 minutes. That goal was so coming.

DanFmDorking Mon 30-Apr-12 22:05:57

Alex Ferguson has blamed the FA for tonights loss to Man City.
He claims they wouldn't let him field his star player Howard Webb.

BelfastBloke Mon 30-Apr-12 22:30:43

My Scotch whisky instead of Irish whiskey still didn't help SurAllex.

Pan Mon 30-Apr-12 22:33:19

Not gud. Not gud at all.

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 01-May-12 06:50:44

sad

Pan Tue 01-May-12 07:38:29

Well, we got what we came for, unfortunatley. But even when Citeh put on more 'stoppers' they still had more chances than us. Giggs played a blinder, as did Scholes. It appeared to be the young chaps who struggled.
But it is a twisty, turny thing!grin

Oblomov Tue 01-May-12 07:44:44

Pan, there was no threat on goal. Rooney was totally unsupported. It was not he Man U we all know and love wink

Oblomov Tue 01-May-12 07:46:49

You missed Vidic. I rate Vidic.

Pan Tue 01-May-12 07:51:06

Yes, me and matey tried to recall the 'last shot on target' with about 15 mins left, and we realised there hadn't been one at all. Rooney did well to keep his record of not being booked all season intact.
Great though isn't it? Two games left, and all we know for sure is one team who will be relegated. Everything else is still up for grabs.

Pan Tue 01-May-12 07:53:07

Yes Vidic all season, Darren Fletcher and 'breaking in' a new goalie.

Have always admired Newcastles ambitions.

mady50n Wed 02-May-12 16:39:06

1. Man Utd
2. None I loathe, but at a push I'd say Liverpool, although City are doing a damn good job o annoying me.
3. She's only 2 so she hasn't cottoned on that she no choice in the matter.
4. been a good premiership, not a classic, 2 games left and Utd have thrown their 20th away (to all intents and purposes)

If there's a tiny chink of hope it's that both City's teams have something to lose if they drop points so City will have hard games to play. Both Utd's teams have nothing to win or lose so, theoretically, shouldn't be as hard to play.

However, it's down to this weekend, if city win they'll take it, if they don't Utd will.

Utd have missed Vidic this season.

Stating the obvious probably.

On other teams, Martin O'Neill's return was good, Roy Hodgson's work at WBA making Kenny Dalglish's appointment seem pretty ropey. Newcastle and Alan Pardew, Norwich and Swansea have been fun to watch.

I hate saying it but Chelsea did a number on Barcelona and could take their first CL this year, if they don't keep Di Matteo, Roman's some sort of idiot.

The racism issues have been troubling, and footballers should probably leave Twitter alone, they just don't have the brains for it.

Pan Wed 02-May-12 21:47:02

Welcome mady. Agree with all you say. The title will be decided at St James'. If Citeh had Tevez all season AND didn't lose Toure to the African cup it could all be different. BUT, if we had Vidic and Fletcher then it could all have been so different as well!

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 03-May-12 06:56:02

As a mackem it pains me but the mags were exceptional last night. DH is less worried about Citeh and more about Man U vs Swansea!

RumbleGreen Thu 03-May-12 10:44:35

Cisse second goal was pure class