Hamilton - anyone joined the mailing list

(13 Posts)
RockNRollNerd Mon 13-Jun-16 19:48:29

I signed up this afternoon. I'm very excited about it even though it's at least 15 months away. We became aware of it when we saw Lin-Manuel Miranda on Last Week Tonight but apart from Graham Norton playing 1 song a few weeks ago I'd not heard anything really about it over here at all.

DH is less convinced about if it will be popular over here but I pointed out that Eva Peron was hardly a well known figure before Evita and Les Mis hardly sounds like great musical material so it could do well. On the other hand a lot of really popular Broadway stuff doesn't always hit the mark with the West End audience (Rent, The Producers off the top of my head both had much shorter runs than on Broadway).

overwhelmed34 Thu 16-Jun-16 21:05:27

I'd never heard of it until I saw James Corden' s Broadway carpool karaoke..fell in love with LMM and have been youtubing everything Hamilton related ever since. Really excited it will eventually be coming to the UK. I think audiences will love it....it doesn't sound like it's a part of history that was massively well known by Americans either.

KathyBeale Thu 16-Jun-16 21:08:03

Yes yes yes - I am obsessed! Have been listening to bits of the soundtrack on Spotify for a few weeks but I finally got the CD last week and have been listening non-stop. I absolutely love it.

I had NO idea who Alexander Hamilton was but now I know the whole story and it's whetted my appetite to read more about the Founding Fathers.

YesOfCourseAlways Thu 16-Jun-16 22:30:59

I registered too! I queued for tickets on Broadway last September but no luck, so hopping to see it in London. Have you watched the YouTube video of the cast performing at the White House, there are 2 a longer one with Obama speaking at the beginning before they do 'Alexander Hamilton' and a seperate one of My Shot. Both are amazing!

KathyBeale Fri 17-Jun-16 10:32:11

I've watched the Alexander Hamilton one, YesOfCourseAlways, but not My Shot - going to look for it now.

RockNRollNerd Fri 17-Jun-16 19:03:34

Oh glad it's not just me! I suspect by the time the tickets actually go on sale they'll have got the publicity machine really rolling, at the moment it seems very quiet. Must go look the White House videos up. I saw one of them at the Tony's I think and it looked great - I like the fact it's really 'stagey' iyswim - shows like that are one of the things I love about musicals.

On a tangentially related US Musical Theatre note did anyone see Forbidden Broadway when it was in London a couple of years ago - well worth seeing if you get the chance! This video from West End Live still makes me chuckle - I adore what they do to Idina Menzel and the Les Mis bit is gloriously staged [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K7JXyOIITE ]]

bruffin Fri 17-Jun-16 19:12:24

I have, i adore the song Burn
Dd had been obsessed for ages, although she wanted Spring Awakening to win the Tony. She is off to see In The Heights for the 3rd time tonight which wasLMM first Tony winner. I loved In The Heights as well

SatsukiKusakabe Sat 18-Jun-16 18:50:21

I just got the cast album for my birthday and have been obsessed, watching videos, rap-battling my children, boring my husband to death with Hamiltrivia and have pre-ordered the Kindle edition of the Ron Chernow biography.

I'm going to sign up for the mailing list, I'm not throwing away my shot star

Bea Sun 19-Jun-16 07:23:57

Ooo! I signed up too!! Becoming very very intrigued (Obsessed!) ! I've been following it for a while and I follow LMM on Twitter!! He's sooo lovely! I love the Ham4Ham performances they do... When it comes to London I wonder if they'll continue the tradition here???

Bea Sun 19-Jun-16 07:24:30

And... It's Quiet Uptown!.... Just sob! Sob!

bruffin Sun 19-Jun-16 20:52:04

Burn

NoPowerInTheVerseCanStopMe Sun 19-Jun-16 20:59:17

After the Tonys I thought I'd YouTube it to see what all the fuss was about. I am now hooked! Alexander Hamilton has been stuck in my head for days!

Balletgirlmum Thu 04-Aug-16 20:41:48

Yes I signed up too. Dd is very very very very excited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now