Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum

(6 Posts)
LIZS Mon 06-May-13 17:48:52

Definitely value for money , well presented and lots of artefacts you wouldn't normally have easy access to. However, if your children are too young to read the information for themselves invest in a commentary , do not read them out in full hearing of everyone over 6 ! If your children are sensitive or prone to giggles perhaps best avoid the phallic objects and art!

Exhibition was very busy today and crowded , late afternoon may be a better time to go. Recommended for any budding archaeologists and historians!

juneau Mon 06-May-13 17:50:45

Ooh thanks for the info. DS1 really wants to go (he's 5) and I've promised him I'll take him this summer. I've been to Pompeii, Herculaneum and the Archaeological Museum in Naples, so I'm guessing I'll have seen quite a few of the things before, so hopefully I can explain them to him without too much reading. He'll love the willies!

LIZS Mon 06-May-13 17:54:54

I went to the RA exhibition at that age but only really remember the casts. Had a huge impact on me and dh and I have been there but have now promised the dc too. Particularly nice touch for those of us who did the Cambridge Latin course !

juneau Mon 06-May-13 17:58:35

I so want him to love history that I'll resort to any sly means to get him interested! He already loves Italy, so my brain-washing is working grin

Merguez Wed 29-May-13 17:47:04

we went today. Very, very crowded - as it is a sellout I think it is probably going to be busy whatever time you go.

Thought it was very good, so did the dc - but they were more interested i the casts of the bodies than in the other artefacts - I loved the frescoes and the furniture and found it all very moving.

crazyspaniel Wed 07-Aug-13 20:21:36

Fantastic exhibition, but don't book a late time slot - there is nowhere near enough time to see the exhibits. Very poor form for the BM to be selling these slots - the gallery wardens were aggressively shooing lots of disappointed visitors out of the door at the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now