ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

I haven't seen many Ballets but does anyone want to talk about some with me?

(7 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 05-May-13 20:33:33

I've only seen a few:
Swan Lake
Sleeping Beauty
Labyrinth of love (Rambert)
I Got Rhythm (Northern Ballet)
Great Gatsby (Northern Ballet)

Anyone else seen them or anything else?

PoppadomPreach Sun 05-May-13 20:36:42

I've only ever seen Giselle and it was amazing. I'm not a fan of opera, and was sceptical about ballet, but it is a completely different experience and I wouldn't hesitate so go to the ballet again.

KatyMac Sun 05-May-13 20:39:42

I found it quite mixed - I loved the Northern Ballet but Sleeping Beauty I think I was too close and it all looked really hard work rather than beautiful the Rambert was totally over my head

I'm off to see Ballet Black next week; but I'm not sure how I feel about that

noviceoftheday Sun 05-May-13 20:48:20

Would definitely recommend Giselle (my favourite) if you liked Swan Lake. Also a couple Christmassy ones -Cinderella and the nut cracker (philistine to suggest but I prefer the traditional versions to the Matthew Bourne productions). Also a couple of Shakespeare ones - Romeo and Juliet, and, midsummer s night dream.

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 05-May-13 20:48:49

I have seen several balletsLa Fille Mal Garde, Copelia, Sleeping Beauty and The Nutcracker - My favourite Ballet by far is La Fille Mal Garde. It is a comedy ballet and I sat through it riveted to my seat. I really want to go and see it again.

OneHandFlapping Sun 12-May-13 11:45:34

I love Romeo and Juliette, and Mayerling - both dramatically choreographed, tragic, and wonderful music.

Just seen Mayerling is on at ROH NOW!!! And have probably missed it.

KatyMac Sat 18-May-13 11:45:21

Well I was completely blown away by Ballet Black

I have never been so enthralled watching ballet before in my life (my previous favourite was 'I got rhythm' from Northern Ballet followed by this year's 'The Great Gatsby') & the music - just wow (only one piece I really didn't like the music for although the dancing was spectacular)

& then the company came out afterwards to talk to DD's dance school

I was so impressed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now