Howard Goodall - The Story of Music

(6 Posts)
greenhill Sat 16-Feb-13 21:15:54

The comment about Haydn made me laugh too gaelic

In this house we have a musical divide: I love Mozart, my DH is a big fan of Bach. We can both see the merits of the other composer, but I prefer uplifting and dramatic and DH goes for soul stirring.

I think the series could be used to teach students exactly how music works as it is so accessible. My 5 yo DD was temporarily entranced by Mozart, when we watched it together on iPlayer.

gaelicsheep Sat 16-Feb-13 21:02:23

I love this series, but I think it could easily be at least 4 times longer and still not come close to covering things in the depth they deserve. I'm a trained musician so most it is familiar to me, but I am enjoying it very much nonetheless. I am still a bit hmm at the opening Lady Gaga sequence, but it is a great series. I just wish there was much more of this kind of thing on TV.

I liked it when he said last week, if you can remember the tune it's Mozart, if you can't it's probably Haydn. I had to study Haydn for 2 solid years for A level music - I'm not a big fan and that comment was very true!

greenhill Sat 16-Feb-13 14:30:28

I'm learning a lot from this series, particularly in the first two episodes: music theory and why the chords work etc. It was very interesting particularly as I recognised most of the tunes he was using as examples.

Mozart is my favourite composer, the music is so uplifting.

Cooroo Sat 16-Feb-13 14:25:50

It's really interesting but I felt he rather dismissed Mozart as just a tune maker with no real feeling. I find a lot of Mozart intensely emotional and passionate and don't think these feelings are restricted to the Romantics.

racingheart Sat 26-Jan-13 22:26:23

Wah!!! Thank you for this. Last time he did a series about music on tv years ago I learned so much from it that I fell in love with him for it.

greenhill Sat 26-Jan-13 10:59:54

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/9821463/Howard-Goodall-interview-for-The-Story-of-Music.html

Howard Goodall has a new series on the story of music, selecting the 10 most important pieces of music.

It starts on Saturday 26th January at 9.30 pm on BBC 2.

His new radio series starts on Monday 28th January at 4.30 pm on Radio 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now