What west end show?

(18 Posts)
bigbadbarry Sun 09-Dec-12 17:57:17

Ooh ok. Thanks!

gallicgirl Sun 09-Dec-12 13:16:49

It's a website that offers a limited number of tickets at a very discounted price. It's for a limited period but covers a lot of shows. you might get cheap tickets for the show you thought would cost too much.

bigbadbarry Sun 09-Dec-12 10:39:14

Ah. It is not my thing! Helen Mirren then, perhaps.

I know I'm in a minority here, but I didn't like One Man at all. It was too slapstick and farcical for me. I knew it was a comedy, but I hadn't realised what type. If slapstick's not his thing, he won't enjoy it that much, IMVHO.

bigbadbarry Sun 09-Dec-12 10:20:47

For the Book of Mormon? They are already on sale.

gallicgirl Sun 09-Dec-12 10:15:13

Check out the get into London theatre website. Ticket sales open on the 11th.

bigbadbarry Sun 09-Dec-12 10:07:43

Thanks everybody. He now tells me he might be away that week (despite me already having booked something for the afternoon) so I am holding fire for now. I'd love to see Matilda but I don't think DD1 would forgive us if we went without her - ideally hope that tours at some point. He's not into the jukebox thing so I don't think Jersey boys will work. See above re Book of Mormon, would be perfect but would cost us £240 which is a bit bonkers. Still thinking me man two guvnors might be a good bet.

GoldenGreen Sat 08-Dec-12 16:42:13

Cabaret. Will Young surprisingly good in it.

Aerobreaking Sat 08-Dec-12 16:18:43

Ah yes, another 'blokey' musical may well be 'The Book of Mormon' which opens next year. It totally sold out on Broadway, is written by the creators of South Park and one of the writers from Avenue Q. It was fantastically popular in America.

Aerobreaking Sat 08-Dec-12 16:15:49

I was going to suggest Matilda but if he's into more story/drama then maybe not (if you like musicals though you should definitely go at some point because it is fabulous). Drama-wise is harder as mostly it is musicals that are the long-running ones so there aren't that many plays that are on now that will still be there in easter but-

Terence Rattigan 'The Winslow Boy' is coming to the Old Vic in March, that's drama not a musical but the Old Vic generally does fabulous productions plot here

One Man Two Guvnors is good, funny, would recommend that. Is having a cast change soon but I'm sure it would still be great.

Helen Mirren is going to be in a play 'the audience' that opens in february I think about the meetings that take place between the Queen and new Prime Ministers. Obviously noone knows much about it yet but I reckon it sounds good. I'm definitely going!

Curious incident of the dog in the night-time which was totally sold out at the National is transferring to the Apollo in March I think so if you've read that that could be a possibility.

War Horse is also fantastic, I would recommend that as well.

Rowan Atkinson is also going to be in a play, about teachers, called Quartermaine's Terms, which I've just booked for actually because I love Mr Bean

I don't think I've really been much help there, but if you want a play that has definitely had great reviews and you know what you would be getting, I would say War Horse is a safe bet, unless you think he would like Matilda, in which case I would go for that.

SorrelForbes Sat 08-Dec-12 15:59:07

Jersey Boys is fantastic and quite 'blokey'

bigbadbarry Sat 08-Dec-12 15:55:07

Story/drama, definitely. Am open to (gasp) not a musical! if somebody recommends something?

simplesusan Fri 07-Dec-12 22:26:36

Depends on what type of thing you like. Does your dh like lots of singing or dancing or would he prefer more of a story/drama?

bigbadbarry Fri 07-Dec-12 10:00:48

Yeah I will, thaks. i just like things neatly in their own sections!

LeonardoAcropolis Fri 07-Dec-12 09:50:14

Singing in the rain is lovely, I haven't seen many plays however. Try posting again in Chat as there will be more traffic.

bigbadbarry Fri 07-Dec-12 09:30:36

Last try

bigbadbarry Thu 06-Dec-12 19:51:37

bump

bigbadbarry Thu 06-Dec-12 17:04:00

I am thinking of taking DH to the theatre next Easter for his birthday as my mother has very kindly offered to have the children overnight,. It has been soooooo loooooong I am utterly out of touch with what is on. What's good? I love a musical; he likes some musicals but is slightly more selective than me. I wondered about that one man two guvnors? Or anything else? What is good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now