Indie/Alternative music thread

(92 Posts)
notpodd Tue 06-Mar-12 14:17:43

I have been searching for a place on Mn to hang out for ages, but not being pregnant or obsessed with feeding, my pets or Corrie have failed to find a home. See the thing I obsess over is a good tune. Then it occurred to me - I need an Indie music thread/quiche. Is there one that I just can't find because I'm blonde and if not - lets start one!

notpodd Mon 12-Mar-12 06:31:34

I'm so envy of all your gigs. Shouty I'm quite partial to the Stone roses, although I do think they can be over hyped at times, like many other bands that the press go mad about Artic monkeys, fleet foxes, kings of leon

Most pregnant I've been at a gig is seven months at a Robbie Williams concert blush, please don't kick me out now if for no other than because I started the thread damn it

aliciaflorrick Mon 12-Mar-12 07:20:29

I know I said I was nine months pregnant but the concert was in the Queen Elizabeth Conference Centre on the banks of the Thames it was a sitty down gig (DS ended up being two weeks late too so even the contractions came to nothing). The first time we saw them was when Divine Comedy was supporting Robbie Williams and while Robbie is good, it's the Divine Comedy we came away talking about, hadn't heard of them until then.

feedthegoat Wed 14-Mar-12 22:21:49

My friend has just text to ask if we want to join them at Leeds for the friday as both she and her dc (4 and 5) are big foo's fans. Boo to public sector worker poverty as can't afford it! Ds would have loved it as is really good friends with her boys too.

Hoping to take him somewhere this year though, maybe Indietracks...that had a nice vibe last time we went (and dh managed to bags guest lists too which is always a bonus).

feedthegoat Wed 14-Mar-12 22:21:49

My friend has just text to ask if we want to join them at Leeds for the friday as both she and her dc (4 and 5) are big foo's fans. Boo to public sector worker poverty as can't afford it! Ds would have loved it as is really good friends with her boys too.

Hoping to take him somewhere this year though, maybe Indietracks...that had a nice vibe last time we went (and dh managed to bags guest lists too which is always a bonus).

MegBusset Wed 14-Mar-12 22:33:07

Foo Fighters are one of my worst gigs, sorry. At Wembley Arena so not really their fault I suppose, tis the worst venue in the world.

Second worst gig: The Stone Roses. Truly so-bad-it-was-almost-funny. Also at Wembley Arena!

Best: Manics at the Astoria, 1994
Tindersticks secret gig in a pub in Camden c.1995
Twilight Singers at the Islington Academy
Pixies (reformed) at Brixton Academy
Brian Wilson doing Smile at the Royal Festival Hall
And loads of small gigs in Camden by bands nobody's ever heard of grin

notpodd Wed 14-Mar-12 22:33:57

I'm going to the Ilse of Wight - although clearly the Reading/Leeds line up is infinitely superior.

I took my DD1 (7 at the time) to Hard Rock Calling last year - to the night James, the Kaiser Chiefs and the Killers were on. It was a magical experience for her, although she was tired after the concert was finished and we had to walk to the tube station, hike across KingsX etc. But she has already asked what i'm taking her to this year.

MegBusset Wed 14-Mar-12 22:36:02

Kids at gigs are cute. Went to see Sugababes (yes I know but had free tickets) a few years back and the place was rammed with girls aged about 6+, by the end more than a few were curled up asleep in their seats, very sweet!

notpodd Wed 14-Mar-12 22:43:28

I have such a special photo of her on my husband's shoulder's, ear protectors on, magic in her eyes and huge grin on her face.

feedthegoat Wed 14-Mar-12 22:58:16

No need to apologise over Foo Fighters to me, they are not my great love! I just fancied the idea of sociable group outing to one of the biggies.

I got into Indie just as the whole American thing was on the wane and was vehemently anti american band,childish I know but then I was only 17. Dh was the opposite and was mighty proud of having seen Nirvana for about £3! I finally relented my exclusive ban when I fell for The Drop Nineteens. It was grudging for too long for any of them to be my burning passion though! I was a shoegazing type...took me years to cope with the rockier end of dh's taste!

feedthegoat Wed 14-Mar-12 22:58:16

No need to apologise over Foo Fighters to me, they are not my great love! I just fancied the idea of sociable group outing to one of the biggies.

I got into Indie just as the whole American thing was on the wane and was vehemently anti american band,childish I know but then I was only 17. Dh was the opposite and was mighty proud of having seen Nirvana for about £3! I finally relented my exclusive ban when I fell for The Drop Nineteens. It was grudging for too long for any of them to be my burning passion though! I was a shoegazing type...took me years to cope with the rockier end of dh's taste!

notpodd Thu 15-Mar-12 06:36:35

I was still living in South Africa when I was 17 (I think I might be about the same age as you goat) and the American music was everywhere while the UK music was not played on the radio and impossible to get. So I was into the stone roses, suede, the happpy mondays etc etc etc - but that was considered incredible obscure and unheard off. Everyone was into Nirvana and Metallica. I definitely am naturally a shoe gazer, but had to learn to rock to survive my circumstances smile

That said I love Pearl Jam, they are my favourite band ever. They have evolved into a "Grateful Dead"like band. Their fans find them like a religious experience. I will harbor no criticism of them please. But even then I think it is the baritone,brilliant lyrics and general godlike genius of Mr Vedder I love, as opposed to the spiraling overly long guitar and piano solos of the rest of the band.

Merrylegs Thu 15-Mar-12 09:10:00

Blimey, Drop Nineteens, forgotten about them. Didn't they have a video where they were all eating a really yummy breakfast? I seem to remember waffles. And pancakes. Am sure I used to have a poster too - a child holding a lolipop over its eye. Ooh. all coming back to me.....

feedthegoat Thu 15-Mar-12 10:27:52

Don't remember the video but yes to the poster, it was the artwork for one of the singles. Just found it - 'Limp'! Goodness me, it's a real walk down memory lane when you start rooting round the dusty CD's. We've got allsorts obscure tat in there!

feedthegoat Thu 15-Mar-12 21:28:26

Just watching spiritualised on the bbc red button now. It is many moons ago that I last saw them and he has aged somewhat. It is making me feel old!

MegBusset Fri 16-Mar-12 16:42:27

I fell asleep during a Spiritualized gig blush Well it had been a long day at work and the seats were very comfy...

notpodd Sat 17-Mar-12 07:05:20

I'm going to see the reformed Commitments tonight. Not very indie I know, but I'm super excited anyway. My ears also perked up at the announcement yesterday that Paul Simon will be performing Graceland in full at Hard Rock Calling this summer. I'm turning into my mother at an alarming rate hmm

feedthegoat Sat 17-Mar-12 10:21:08

Nothing wrong with that, I don't think any music collection should be exclusive!

My love of music started with my mums collection of Motown and Northern Soul and my uncle passing on his collection of (largely german) New Wave as well as a bag of singles from my grandmas friends daughter. I still have a nostalgic soft spot for Kenny Rodgers Ruby from that back of records, my mum and I used to dance to it when I was about same age as ds! My earliest favourites were Diana Ross, The Temptations, Kenny Rodgers, Neil Diamond and Squeeze so I guess I can't say too much when ds tells me '- don't think The Wanted are that good...but I quite like them'! I'm all for eclectic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now