Indie/Alternative music thread

(92 Posts)
notpodd Tue 06-Mar-12 14:17:43

I have been searching for a place on Mn to hang out for ages, but not being pregnant or obsessed with feeding, my pets or Corrie have failed to find a home. See the thing I obsess over is a good tune. Then it occurred to me - I need an Indie music thread/quiche. Is there one that I just can't find because I'm blonde and if not - lets start one!

feedthegoat Sun 11-Mar-12 08:34:56

Oh goodness, best gig? I'm not sure I could choose! I used to photograph gigs for fanzines so back in the day we did a few a week.

I think the best ones have been the ones that caught me off guard....REM at T in the Park as wasn't at all bothered about them and they blew me away. Going to see Oasis at Sheffield Arena all disappointed that Verve had cancelled support. When the support came on they turned off all the lights and the place went mental when Pulp played the first chords of Babies.

If we are talking out and out reliability then Suede always do it for me.

CD's are mainly upstairs in spare room as we have so many. There is a small shelf in living room with current playlist on which is rotated. Dh is resisting MP3 all the way.

M1ssBerta Sun 11-Mar-12 08:53:32

Best gig was Paul Weller at de Montfort hall in Leicester. We were right at the front. Or Sherwood Forest. Or finsbury Park in the 90s. He's great live anywhere really. Alison Moyet a few yrs ago sticks in my mind, I'm a fan if the Yazoo 'Upstairs at Eric's' phase. I would give my eye teeth to see the B52s, they only do the US nowadays. They came to Hammersmith a few yrs ago but I couldn't make it. (live too far away now)

notpodd Sun 11-Mar-12 08:54:02

I love the early b52s M1ssBerta - Mesopotamia is still one of my favourite songs ever. Goat - I'm quite jealous of all that envy Although I'm British, I spent my teenage years in South Africa so was deprived of all the good gigs.

M1ssBerta Sun 11-Mar-12 09:19:16

Ahh, notpodd that's one of my all time favourites too. I have all the songs on cd but am too much of a div to get them on my iPhone so I buy them all, sadly hatdly any are available on itunes. They are so underrated, I think people on only know them for Love Shack (which I can't stand!)

feedthegoat Sun 11-Mar-12 09:20:22

You've really set me off know thinking of some of the amazing gigs we went to...I'm in South Yorks so we practically lived at The Leadmill in Sheffield. In fact I bought DH the Pete Mckee print of the Leadmill queue!

Some were great just for capturing a moment in time - I remember seeing Smash and These Animal Men at The Duchess in Leeds and thinking it was great, not sure they'd stand the test of time though! Similarly bands like Shed 7 and My Life Story, they just reflect a time in my life when I had a lot of fun.

Anybody else had any truly awful gigs? I've only ever walked out of one...Cast. Awful, awful and awful!

notpodd Sun 11-Mar-12 09:27:18

The first time U2 played South Africa the organisers were woefully un-prepared. Had no idea how to deal with 75 000 people in one place. Everyone had to enter through 2 turnstiles. And they ran of any form of liquid about 5 hours before the even gig started. A friend tried to go to the loo and we didn't see him again for 6 hours (it was in the days before everyone having a mobile). If we hadn't all paid through out noses for the tickets I'd have gone home at the first sign of the crush.

feedthegoat Sun 11-Mar-12 10:06:41

Sounds like they are luckily they didn't end up with a disaster on their hands Notpodd.

feedthegoat Sun 11-Mar-12 10:06:41

Sounds like they are luckily they didn't end up with a disaster on their hands Notpodd.

M1ssBerta Sun 11-Mar-12 11:04:05

Very envy you saw REM, feedthegoat - I'm very much an IRS yrs fan - such great music.

M1ssBerta Sun 11-Mar-12 11:07:19

That's one stressful gig, notpodd - yikes, they're lucky it didn't escalate.

Do I belong here?

Massive Divine Comedy and Eels fan.

Loving Gotye at the moment too.

feedthegoat Sun 11-Mar-12 21:19:40

Now I don't think I ever actually saw Divine Comedy but I've certainly done some drunken dancing to them!

feedthegoat Sun 11-Mar-12 21:19:40

Now I don't think I ever actually saw Divine Comedy but I've certainly done some drunken dancing to them!

mycatsaysach Sun 11-Mar-12 21:37:59

the pogues were fab live
so were the clash and the cure and the teardrops
new order and the bunnymen not so much
saw p weller with the style council but totally forgettable

all time fave - don't laugh
kid creole and the coconuts in 1982 they were brilliant

Ah I know what you mean about some gigs being of the moment feedthegoat but not standing the test of time. I have loads of fantastic memories of probably quite average bands and gigs - I saw Kenickie a lot as I absolutely worshiped them and always enthused about the gig for weeks afterwards. Also We Are Scientists are very funny and put on a show but are never going to feature on my top albums lists.

Also saw REM at Glastonbury one year, wasn't too fussed, had seen them before, but was absolutely blown away during the set. It was wonderful.

Until 2008 I would have probably said my favourite was the Flaming Lips at glasto (2003 I think). It was one of those rare experiences where being part of a large crowd felt intimate, and there was an uplifting camaraderie - I think the best word to describe it was joyous. I felt moved after, and I am not really a woo kind of person. Anyway I saw the Flaming Lips again in Bournemouth in 2008. I was standing with friends when a man approached me. I am terrible with faces, thought it was my hippy landlord and smiled at him. We started chatting about the Flaming Lips and it turns out he is the guy who scouts for people to dress up in mad costumes and dance on stage during the gig. Ten minutes later my friend and I are dressed as aliens and sat with the members of Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly who are going to be Santa Clauses. An hour later, after necking several vodkas, we go on stage beside the band, wave flashlights, throw balls and glitter in the crowd and dance manically. It was fucking fantastic and hands down will always be the best gig I have ever been too grin

Bad gigs: being surrounded by a load of boorish twats watching the Artic Monkeys who were phoning it in by numbers. I didn't walk out as was only there to see Maximo Park who were headlining after. Another time remember being bored to death by Foals and having terrible pregnancy backache. I was rolling around on the floor by the end of it and my DP was horribly torn between wanting to watch one of his favourite bands and see if I was ok.

aliciaflorrick Sun 11-Mar-12 22:10:36

I've seen the Divine Comedy live twice, the second time I was nine months pregnant with DS1, had to run to catch the train to get into London and then spent the entire concert having contractions willing the baby not to come because I wanted to get to the end.

oh god I would have not coped with a gig at 9 months pregnant, I could stand only long enough to get more cake from the kitchen. And contractions as well, I am impressed!

Neil Hannon is definitely one to watch live, the whole place is electric

feedthegoat Sun 11-Mar-12 22:28:37

Nope, don't think I could have done that at 9 months either! I think my last gig was Athlete just before 7 months and that was enough for me.

I did do a football match a fortnight before ds arrived though. I was slightly worried about getting wedged in turnstiles though bump was a total pain in the arse at halftime when everyone wanted to squeeze past me!

feedthegoat Sun 11-Mar-12 22:28:37

Nope, don't think I could have done that at 9 months either! I think my last gig was Athlete just before 7 months and that was enough for me.

I did do a football match a fortnight before ds arrived though. I was slightly worried about getting wedged in turnstiles though bump was a total pain in the arse at halftime when everyone wanted to squeeze past me!

Casualty Sun 11-Mar-12 22:37:52

Ooh yes, Neil Hannon saw him at Shepherd's Bush, was right at the front and I'm sure he was making eye contact with me wink

Best gig ever though was The Killers in Birmingham, never wanted that to end!

Merrylegs Sun 11-Mar-12 22:47:40

Best gig? Associates at Leeds Uni probably (sadBilly McKenzie)
Oh, and The Smiths at Brixton Academy, obviously grin.

Shoutymomma Sun 11-Mar-12 22:52:19

Ahem, why are there not many pages of Stone Roses worship?

Saw The Smiths when I was a smitten fan, but best gig was James at Moles in Bath; intimate cellar setting, amazing sound.

Merrylegs Sun 11-Mar-12 22:55:30

Because the Stone Roses are a bit rubbish really, aren't they? (I was at Spike Island so I can say that with some authority).

lovelychops Sun 11-Mar-12 22:56:23

ChutesTooNarrow I'm so jealous of your Flaming Lips claim to fame! They're the band I'm dying to see live, but the fact you got to dance with them is amazing! Must have been brilliant.

Was also going to say REM at Glastonbury as one of my all time best. It was magical.

I agree with whoever said there are so many 'of their time' which may not be that good in retrospect. Saw so many bands back in the day.

Best gig in some ways was Verve (before they added the The) at Wolves Civic for £4. Oasis were the support band, I think it was 1994 ?

Last gig was Weller when I was pregnant, watched it from side of stage as DP was working on the tour. Not boasting, I was a bit bored and my back was killing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now