Indie/Alternative music thread

(92 Posts)
notpodd Tue 06-Mar-12 14:17:43

I have been searching for a place on Mn to hang out for ages, but not being pregnant or obsessed with feeding, my pets or Corrie have failed to find a home. See the thing I obsess over is a good tune. Then it occurred to me - I need an Indie music thread/quiche. Is there one that I just can't find because I'm blonde and if not - lets start one!

notpodd Fri 09-Mar-12 09:39:09

Ha ha ha - Feedthegoat - I've got purple hair at the moment!

feedthegoat Fri 09-Mar-12 09:49:42

I'm very envious then notpodd! I was hoping she could do mine this week but I much bigger issue than mine arose. I really wanted to do it all over pink and purple but thought I'd best be mindful of my staid office job too!

Just realise I forgot to declare my own musical preferences too...it started with Suede and The Smiths I guess. I'm abit of a shoegazer really, chapterhouse, ride, adorable etc though I like allsorts (as the 1500 + cd collection would testify though some is definitely DH only!)

feedthegoat Fri 09-Mar-12 09:49:42

I'm very envious then notpodd! I was hoping she could do mine this week but I much bigger issue than mine arose. I really wanted to do it all over pink and purple but thought I'd best be mindful of my staid office job too!

Just realise I forgot to declare my own musical preferences too...it started with Suede and The Smiths I guess. I'm abit of a shoegazer really, chapterhouse, ride, adorable etc though I like allsorts (as the 1500 + cd collection would testify though some is definitely DH only!)

aliciaflorrick Fri 09-Mar-12 09:55:22

feedthegoat I've got purple DMs too.

I'll join I'm getting more indie as I get older, you know music today ain't like what it was in my day.

I listen to lots of things these days, although it's generally dictated by what's playing on Absolute as that is my station of choice.

DS2 (7) is a big music fan he likes Killers, Elbow, Biffy Clyro, Noah and the Whale, Green Day and then throws in a bit of ELO for fun.

notpodd Fri 09-Mar-12 10:00:28

My docks are maroon. They get complimented where-ever I take them smile

feedthegoat Fri 09-Mar-12 10:25:33

I've got the Phoenix Jara DM biker boots at the moment. I love them but have to admit I have my eye on the patent pink DM's too. Can't afford them yet though.

I'm afraid I have shamelessly cultivated ds into developing his own distinctive style now too. He's always had floppy longish hair but is very particularly about his clothes despite his young age. He has a passion for loud trousers (maybe harks back to me aged 19 regularly going out in Tartan P'j bottoms after one too many Carter USM gigs!). He loves tartan and camo combats or skinny jeans with bright coloured kickers whilst the norm here is short back and sides and next clothing. I love the fact that he has his own thing going on already, as I may have encouraged it but he chooses his own things now.

notpodd Fri 09-Mar-12 10:32:16

LOL - Carter USM. There's a flash back.

notpodd Fri 09-Mar-12 10:40:13

Has anyone else heard the new Paul Weller track - That Dangerous Age? It is EPIC, the best thing he has done since 1983 IM--H--O, although he may have been hanging around Damon Alburn a wee bit too much...

That Dangerous Age

lovelychops Fri 09-Mar-12 20:17:07

Really like the new Weller track, best thing he's done in ages I reckon.

He always gets a bit of a hammering on MN but I think he's great!

notpodd Sat 10-Mar-12 08:40:44

I'm trying out six radio today on your advice ladies

feedthegoat Sat 10-Mar-12 10:59:54

XFM is my station of choice although the adverts do drive me mad if you don't drop on an 8 by X. Haven't tried 6 for a while though.

feedthegoat Sat 10-Mar-12 10:59:54

XFM is my station of choice although the adverts do drive me mad if you don't drop on an 8 by X. Haven't tried 6 for a while though.

feedthegoat Sat 10-Mar-12 11:01:27

Apologies for the double posts btw - for some reason my phone randomly posts things twice for some reason.

feedthegoat Sat 10-Mar-12 11:01:27

Apologies for the double posts btw - for some reason my phone randomly posts things twice for some reason.

notpodd Sat 10-Mar-12 12:04:36

Not particularly impressed with 6 so far - too much rap/hip hoppy stuff. I'm trying X FM now. I have to stream both of them, as I live out in the sticks, and even with a DAB I can't pick them up. X FM has Arcade Fire on at the moment, so that is a top start.

lovelychops Sat 10-Mar-12 14:55:12

6 music is at bit hit and miss at the weekends...

If you give it a try when Lauren Laverne and Radcliffe & Maconie are on you may have more luck.

I used to really like XFM but not so much these days!

I love 6music, it is on 24/7 in my house, but it can be a bit gash at the weekends. Too many comedians trying to be funny rather than playing music. However Lammo is currently on the Liz Kershaw show reminiscing about gigs of yore and it is rather fabulous.

Anyone nostalgic for Steve n' Jo on the Evening Session? It was my life at the time, I can't stand Jo Whiley now.

I used to listen to xfm but stopped around the time of the Capital takeover. It got a bit samey and mainstream - I wasn't thrilled about listening to the Kaiser Chiefs and the Killers 17 times a day.

feedthegoat Sat 10-Mar-12 19:33:15

I would definitely agree that XFM do just have the same songs on constant rotation. I doesn't matter to me as only tend to listen if washing up or cleaning the kitchen so short bursts. It tends to be CD's if we are in living room or car. I have to confess a tendency to play the same albums in heavy rotation though.

notpodd Sun 11-Mar-12 08:20:22

I have the radio on large parts of the day as I work from home. I do do albums as well, but have it on at least 2 or 3 hours every day. I may just stick to Absolute to be honest, as my DAB can pick it up. I don't want to be streaming music all day, and I prefer the source of the noise not to be the thing I'm working on. Strange I know, but i prefer the sound to be coming from behind me hmm

notpodd Sun 11-Mar-12 08:23:22

So - best gig ever?

belindarose Sun 11-Mar-12 08:25:36

I'm rather enjoying 6 Music this morning.

What have you all done with your cd (or record?) collections? DH and I have thousands upstairs, taking up space, but never use them as we're all digital now. Not lovely like vinyl, but I don't know if I can bear to get rid of them.

notpodd Sun 11-Mar-12 08:30:28

We immigrated, so the bulk are in folders, as the hard cases take up way too much space. I also keep a lot of the art inlays because did I mention i'm an anourak , which are piled up and collecting dust. I don't like downloading music as much, because I feel the need to hold my purchase, so there are also a couple hundred since we moved back to the UK lurking on a shelf.

M1ssBerta Sun 11-Mar-12 08:31:37

May I join?! Hooray! A thread for me!!!

Huge 6 Music fan, Cocteau Twins, Sugarcubes, early b52s (not embarrassed) Bjork, Paul Weller/The jam/Style Council ooh loads of stuff. Bit obsessed with Kate Bush.

Now, the latest Paul Weller song. DH would love an album of nursery rhymes if it was sung by PW. This latest one is not my taste at all, in fact he's betting I won't like the new album at all and I think he's right.

M1ssBerta Sun 11-Mar-12 08:32:32

Btw, vinyl is in the garage and CDs proudly in the house. Oh yeah!

feedthegoat Sun 11-Mar-12 08:34:56

Oh goodness, best gig? I'm not sure I could choose! I used to photograph gigs for fanzines so back in the day we did a few a week.

I think the best ones have been the ones that caught me off guard....REM at T in the Park as wasn't at all bothered about them and they blew me away. Going to see Oasis at Sheffield Arena all disappointed that Verve had cancelled support. When the support came on they turned off all the lights and the place went mental when Pulp played the first chords of Babies.

If we are talking out and out reliability then Suede always do it for me.

CD's are mainly upstairs in spare room as we have so many. There is a small shelf in living room with current playlist on which is rotated. Dh is resisting MP3 all the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now