Explain cruises with young family to a complete novice

(5 Posts)
HeadDreamer Wed 28-Sep-16 15:47:55

DC1 is learning titanic at school and is now keen to go on a cruise. I've done one with my parents but not sure how you do this with children. I have a 5 and a 2 yo.

I went to a cruise company website but am totally confused by what and how many rooms I need. The DC will be in the same room as us. But all prices are for two sharing. So how I do I pick a room with a sofa bed for 2 little ones? Are there 2 bedrooms 'cabins'? Or one bedroom with a sofa bed in the living area?

FYI I was looking at a Fjord cruise from P&O.

featherpillow Thu 29-Sep-16 00:25:10

I've been on p&o cruise with DC.

We had one cabin with 2 sets of bunk beds. The top bunks folded up to the wall so in the daytime you could move around easier and sit on the bottom 2 beds. The DC loved it.
Our room was small so no actual living area. Just wardrobes, tv with small fridge underneath, dressing table with a stool, bedside table, beds and a shower room.

We managed fine and couldn't fault it.

umizoomi Thu 29-Sep-16 00:48:05

We did Royal Caribbean this year with 2 DC 4 & 8.

We had an internal cabin and the beds for the kids came of of the ceiling above our bed. There was also a small sofa, big wardrobe etc. It was fine.

The cost is the 3rd and 4th person. On RC they ask you who is going. 3rd and 4th person in one cabin is relatively cheap.

The cabins with sofa bed were the balcony ones I think. RC don't advise the bunk beds for kids under 6. The 4 year old was fine but not sure how I would feel about a 2 year old

HeadDreamer Thu 29-Sep-16 16:13:02

Thanks. umizoomi I can see on the cruise floor plan there are cabins with sofa beds and berth beds. I think I'll have to get a sofa bed one like you say. I'm glad to hear it'll ask about children/sharing cabins later in the booking process. And ofc that it's not going to be 4 x per person price.

umizoomi Thu 29-Sep-16 23:40:16

The kids clubs are good too.

Good luck !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now