Chania, and Kusadasi ports, excursions advice please

(7 Posts)
ChoccyJules Mon 11-Jul-16 14:32:26

Hi, so now a few weeks away from our cruise. Santorini and Athens do it yourself are now well-planned, thanks in no small part to the clear advice I got on here.

The other two calls are Chania, Crete and Kusadasi (Ephesus). Chania is our shortest visit and I think it'll be a beach day, so advice as to the nicest one within walking distance of the ship would be gratefully received.

Re Ephesus, we want to do the ruins and DD wants to go to the aquapark, I don't think both could be done comfortably. If we do Ephesus, we would either get a taxi return or a tour with a taxi firm. Is the latter necessary or would we be fine just getting taxis there and back and sorting ourselves out at the ruins? This would avoid being trapped in carpet sales chats I think.
Thank you to anyone with hints and tipssmile

ErrolTheDragon Mon 11-Jul-16 14:46:00

Just the taxi to Ephesus should be fine, I'd have thought. We stayed in kusadasi at Easter a few years back, went on the coach trip to Ephesus, the ruddy carpet stop nearly drove us mad esp DD. we went back by taxi a couple of days later, enjoyed that more. Also, while the guide on the coach trip was good, I'm not sure I'd have wanted to be herded around if it had been high summer.

Hope you have a great trip!

CPtart Mon 11-Jul-16 14:53:44

We went to Ephesus two years ago from Kusadasi at the end of August. It was the hottest I have ever been in my whole life. Almost unbearable. It's a fantastic place but there is very little shade. I don't know how old your DD is, but I would be tempted to go by taxi then you can go round at your own pace.
Coincidentally, we are going to Crete this year, staying just outside Chania!

ErrolTheDragon Mon 11-Jul-16 15:53:09

Take plenty of water and maybe a parasol!

ChoccyJules Mon 11-Jul-16 22:48:01

Thanks both. Will make sure have hats and water. Never had a parasol but may look into it! We'll be there in late July. Definitely going to do taxi only but prebook to get fee and return journey agreed.
Enjoy Chania!

CPtart Tue 12-Jul-16 06:50:11

Just take an umbrella for the shade. Loads had them.

FinallyHere Tue 12-Jul-16 06:56:21

We loved Ephesus, just wondering around with the guidebook/leaflet to point things out was perfect.

The site on quite a slope, though: we were dropped off at the top, rather than the grand entrance, so that the walk was mostly downhill. It means that you first see the avenue entrance from inside but we felt it was worth it, especially in the heat. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now