Any tips for a nervous first timer?

(11 Posts)
Supermagicsmile Sat 28-May-16 07:53:58

Thank you!!

DarlingCoffee Sun 29-May-16 06:20:47

Enjoy! Cruises are brilliant. Here are my tips:

Read the daily newspaper that gets put through your door for what's on each day
Register your kids if you have any at the nursery upon boarding so they can use the nursery space.
Pack a few smart outfits/dresses for the evening. People do dress up on the formal nights. Men should also bring a dinner suit and bow tie. You can usually lookup how many formal nights your cruise will be holding.
Book a spa appointment if that's your thing as they can get booked up
Go to the sailaway parties on deck!
Make the most of the porter service, they were fantastic at bringing warm milk for our little one. And room service.
Avoid the pre booked excursions as they can be expensive.
Use the bus transfers into town, these are usually free or a small charge.
Afternoon tea in the restaurant is a must as are the nightly shows.

Supermagicsmile Sun 29-May-16 06:58:54

Thank you! smile

DarlingCoffee Sun 29-May-16 07:05:53

You're welcome! Why are you feeling nervous?

FeckinCrutches Sun 29-May-16 07:27:09

Why nervous?

KP86 Sun 29-May-16 07:45:37

Darling has given you heaps of good advice.

Take some sea sickness tabs with you (or you can usually contact guest services for one in an emergency).

Use the stairs as much as you can handle, waiting for lifts can take ages and it's a good way to work off all the extra food and booze you'll be consuming!

Drinks are usually expensive, so if you're on a tight budget keep an eye on your on-board account.

Definitely check out all the activities, even if only going to watch. They can be a lot of fun!

If you want to tip your staff at the end of the trip have cash in small denominations and take some envelopes with you. We went on an 8 night cruise and gave our room staff $20 or $30AU each. Doesn't sound like heaps but if it's added up by the number of rooms they service then I imagine they do ok.

Supermagicsmile Sun 29-May-16 11:25:05

Thank you smile

honeyrider Sun 29-May-16 12:35:58

Which ship and route are you going on?

Whatthefoxgoingon Tue 31-May-16 21:49:51

Don't pack too many formal shoes! Try to make sure each pair goes with at least two dresses. If there are only two formal nights, I never take more than one pair.

Eye mask and ear plugs if you are disturbed by light or noise.

Small bills to tip for room service.

Don't overpack especially if you are flying. I always being a bit of washing powder to wash some smalls that I don't want to send to the laundry. Your bathroom will have a drying line.

Find out how many and which type of plug points your ship has. Very important for charging all those devices! I also bring my kindle.

Check your travel insurance covers cruises.

Warn your bank that you will be at a different port everyday so they don't block your card thinking it's been stolen! This happened to me.

Don't forget sunscreen, sanitary products, deodorant or any essential bath products! I also bring some basic medications eg paracetamol, ibuprofen and anti sickness tablets. The ship doctors are expensive to see.

Most of all: ENJOY! smile

budgiegirl Sun 05-Jun-16 17:06:04

Best tip I was ever given - some cabins don't have many power outlets, so take a power strip to give extra outlets - very handy when travelling with our three kids who each had a phone with them! Be aware that the outlets may only take european or american plugs, depending who you are sailing with.

I second the advice about letting your bank know, and also advise them of where the cruise ships head office is. We sailed from Barcelona last autumn, and had our card refused when we boarded. It turned out that our bank stopped it, as we had used the card in Barcelona, then 5 hours later we used it when boarding, and it showed as though the transaction was going through in Miami. That said, guest relations were wonderful, and sorted it all our for us.

Try and remember to take everything you need, as it's expensive to buy things like suncream on board, and a pain to try to find a shop when at the ports.

But most of all, just relax and enjoy it. You'll have a wonderful time.

iklboo Sun 05-Jun-16 17:11:54

Enjoy yourself! Try food you'd not normally have at home - you've already 'paid' for your food so it won't be a waste of money if you're not keen and there's always somewhere to eat later if you get hungry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now