Help with budgeting before we book- costs of excursions etc on Norway Cruise?

(12 Posts)
Milliways Sat 06-Feb-16 22:43:27

We have seen a good deal on a Norway Cruise that just happens to depart on my birthday. I was planning a trip to Lanzarote or somewhere for Spring sunshine but then saw this deal and it has been something I have always wanted to do.
However, we can get a cost of cruise (which pushes our budget) and an idea of drink prices, but can't seem to price excursions until actually booked, and would like some idea if we decided to do say 2 ship excursions and then wandered around port towns on other 2 stops.
We are looking at going with P&O on Azura, stopping at Stavenger, Alesund, Olden & Bergen. Fancy a trip to a glacier!
I have been searching threads and see some of you have been/are going- can you let me know any excursion/extras prices please?
Many Thanks

nmg85 Sat 06-Feb-16 23:01:12

To be honest all of those ports are easy to walk around on your own or easy to plan cheaper local excursions.

Milliways Sat 06-Feb-16 23:05:48

Thanks, but do you have an idea of cost of diy tours are- the train trips or glacier trips, I have no idea of where to start. Allowing £20 or £100pp etc, I just know that Norway is expensive and don't want to go all that way and then regret not being able to do something special.

nmg85 Sat 06-Feb-16 23:13:50

We did the 3 hour boat trip in stavanger and you can find this years prices at rodne.no. Bergen we wanted to do the funicular but refused to queue buy from memory I don't think the cost was that high, I think less then £10 each for that one. Why don't you google it, most if the info is very easy to find and then you can tailor your searches to what really interests you.
I must admit if you are going to Norway for scenery you aren't going to either of the more spectacular ports which are flam and geiranger.

Milliways Sat 06-Feb-16 23:31:47

Thank you, I think it was a Trip to Flam that was interesting ( and probably why the cruise is cheaper)
I will do some more googling.

nmg85 Sat 06-Feb-16 23:34:34

I believe you can do a trip from alesund to geiranger but it wouldn't be the same as sailing down that fjord

TannhauserGate Sat 06-Feb-16 23:56:20

They probably don't say ahead of time because of the currency fluctuating. (helpful, I know!)

TannhauserGate Sat 06-Feb-16 23:57:16

Oh, and if Flam is your thing, I seem to remember seeing a rail trip in the Telegraph that was Bergen-Flam-Oslo.
It's probably on their travel section.

nmg85 Tue 09-Feb-16 14:04:21

Yes you can do Bergen - Flam - Oslo by train.

Sotaku Sat 20-Feb-16 18:14:09

We went on a cruise that included Bergen and Olesund. It also included Geiranger which was absolutely amazing so it's a shame yours doesn't. But, we had fun in every port so I'm sure you will too. We didn't book any tours through the cruise operator (crazy prices) and just planned trips with plenty of time before the ship left.

The whatsinport site is really useful for planning your own itinerary. I used this to look at Alesund. You'll find other ports on that site as well. We did the tourist land train which took us on a little tour round town and up the mountain. There was only a bit of time at the top to take in the view and take photos, but that was enough for us anyway as we only had so much time in port.

We did take the floibanen in Bergen but I agree that the queues are very long. The views were amazing but it started pouring not long after we got to the top so had to give up on walking around there and come back down. We did manage to take a lot of great photos before the skies opened though. We had time to walk around Bergen afterwards (we had jackets but still got soaked but nothing stops/spoils my holidays).

Sotaku Sat 20-Feb-16 18:18:39

Here's a link to whatsinport for Norway's ports. The site is plain but simple and has a quick overview of the ports.

Sotaku Sat 20-Feb-16 18:26:54

Not Olesund, Alesund - grrr typing on a small screen. Though I suppose Olesund is closer to how it's pronounced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now