Zika Virus - Cancelled Our Cruise :(

(3 Posts)
AbiWabi Fri 29-Jan-16 13:25:52

My partner and I are currently trying to claim from our insurance for a Southern Caribbean cruise which is due to stop in Haiti, Puerto Rico, St Martin, Martinique, Barbados and St Kitts & Nevis. Most of these countries are affected by Zika Virus. The issue that we are having is that we are currently under fertility treatment TTC and at the time of cancelling (Monday) we were unable to know if I was pregnant or not. Unfortunately my period arrived this morning and so I think they may not pay out the £2500 that we have lost, even though FCO advice to avoid affected areas mentions women who are trying to conceive.

i know that fertility treatment is voluntary, and that we could "take a break" from the treatment for a month or two, but I feel we are committed to the treatment and having to postpone it for upto 6 months just seems wrong after all we have been through.

I am currently awaiting a callback from my GP to find out if they can write me a letter to say they advise against travel at this time.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

LittlePeasMummy1 Thu 04-Feb-16 10:53:22

Here is a patient information leaflet on Zika virus in pregnancy produced by the UK teratology information service (I work there!). It was updated yesterday so contains all of the most up to date info. Feedback very welcome

www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Zika-virus/

superherostrawberry Sat 19-Mar-16 15:30:32

If you explain this to your GP they will word your letter to suit the insurance company - mine recently did this. GPs will be v understanding of the situation and the letter is £25 - a bargain compared!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now