What currency do I need in Norway for a cruise

(10 Posts)
Whattheydonttellyou Tue 12-Jan-16 11:46:50

Sorry, first time cruisers here and going to Norway in April 2016 to the Fjords on Britannia.

We want to do our own excursions, just a mooch around not far from the ship, but we will need a coffee or two or to buy some small sounvenirs.

I am not sure whether we should be taking some Euros with us as petty cash or whether we can draw out cash on the ship for our spend on-shore.

What is the easiest and best way to pay for small items on shore?

nmg85 Tue 12-Jan-16 16:50:37

We always take some Norwegian Krona with us and then use cards for everything else. Exchange rates on the ships are usually poor.

Whattheydonttellyou Tue 12-Jan-16 22:38:33

Thank you once again nmg85. I will get Krona and take on-board just to cover petty cash on-shore.

FastWindow Tue 12-Jan-16 22:42:34

What nationality is the ship? A lot of cruises take allsorts of currency. But yes, get NOK. Ive heard the fx rate is weak atm, so now is the time to visit. Enjoy my country!!

FastWindow Tue 12-Jan-16 23:02:47

Doh, ive heard of Britannia. Rtft /op Fast.

Whattheydonttellyou Thu 14-Jan-16 12:46:47

Thanks FastWindow. I am really looking forward to seeing your beautiful country and the dramatic scenery is top of my list.

Pidapie Thu 14-Jan-16 12:51:24

Norwegian kroner / norske kroner. I'm Norwegian and miss home desperately! Would love to swap, haha grin Have a good trip!

Whattheydonttellyou Thu 14-Jan-16 13:20:07

I will have a coffee for you on-shore at Bergen, or Stavanger Pidapie while I enjoy your beautiful country and scenery.

I am really looking forward to sailing up the fjords and will be out on that balcony to take in every second!

FastWindow Fri 15-Jan-16 17:32:10

Dont forget a skillingsbolle with that coffee. Even better than the ikea ones.

enolagayits0815 Mon 24-Oct-16 14:59:55

Euros and a bank card. We've never needed to take krona.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now