How much money does my dd (19) need for 14 night celebrity cruise?

(25 Posts)
booboo57 Sun 23-Aug-15 12:17:56

My Dabout 3 maths ago my dd accepted invitation from bfn family to join celebration cruise to the med. Quite a bit of pressure put on her. She had already committed holiday spending as she had a week in July with her friends and been to two festivals this summer. But as all inclusive thought it should be OK. We thought say £200 spending would be enough. Apparently this will not even cover the drinks package. Eek! Looks like the week before we're finding out she can't afford it. Anyone know what a realistic budget could be? Thanks

QforCucumber Sun 23-Aug-15 12:20:51

So is it not all inclusive then? For an all inclusive holiday dp and I take £200 between us and never spend it all.

ClashCityRocker Sun 23-Aug-15 12:44:56

What is already included (ie meals and drinks) and what is she needing to pay for? £200 equates to £15 quid-ish a day - I think you'd struggle to get a decent meal for that, let alone any drinks.

If we're on holiday DH and I take £50 a day each to cover excursions, food, drinks etc - we are usually pretty much spent up by the end and we aren't particularly extravagent. On that basis, if she is having to pay for her meals as well, it would work out at £700 for a fortnight.

However, if her meals are sorted, £30 a day would be reasonable.

It sounds like the family they are going with have already made plans though?

ClashCityRocker Sun 23-Aug-15 12:45:57

Sorry, just seen it was all inc! £200 sounds plenty, tbh, but check what the other family have planned.

GraysAnalogy Sun 23-Aug-15 12:47:47

So if it's all inclusive what's this drink package all about? That's confusing isn't it.

Tbh though I wouldn't have said £200 was enough for 14 nights all inclusive anyway but that's me.

ClashCityRocker Sun 23-Aug-15 12:58:09

Yes, I think you need to check what is included as 'all inclusive'

JustOneMinuteAtATime Sun 23-Aug-15 13:07:34

Drinks aren't usually included in all inclusive cruises. The food is all paid for, but drinks are usually extra and often over priced to make up for the food. Is that the case here?

booboo57 Sun 23-Aug-15 13:59:19

Thanks for your replies sorry keep losing my posts. All inclusive does not include drinks apparently or any shore excursions. As she is going as part of bf's extended family i assume she will be under pressure to keep up with their spending. Don't really know them either so embarrassed to ask and look like the poor relation.

antimatter Sun 23-Aug-15 14:03:58

How much are they budgeting then?

Shutthatdoor Sun 23-Aug-15 14:05:00

If it doesn't include excursions then there is no way £200 wouldn't be anywhere near enough.

It isn't unusual for excursions to cost at least £50 plus for organised trips.

AndDeepBreath Sun 23-Aug-15 14:06:35

Appreciate you don't want to look silly, but can't she ask her bf? If he's worth going on holiday with, he should be able to give her an estimate without being an arse about it!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 23-Aug-15 14:13:43

That's so rude of them! How can you put a pressure on someone to come to a holiday and not even tell them how much it'd cost considering they had organised it.

twirlypoo Sun 23-Aug-15 14:17:50

Honestly, there's no shame in asking! Send a quick message to say, thanks so much for inviting dd, we are just trying to work out spending budget now. Can you let me know what you think her costs will be? Or something like that. Make it super friendly and no one will care!

Luvvies Sun 23-Aug-15 14:19:47

Have you checked the age restrictions on drinking? It may not even be an issue. May be 21.

booboo57 Sun 23-Aug-15 15:09:38

Bf really vague (whole other thread! ) so asked dd to get bf's mum to call me. She's over there today. We've got to sort this out. Sooo annoyed though to find all this out now just days before they leave. They don't get easier when they're older just more complicated.

antimatter Sun 23-Aug-15 15:32:32

A glass of coke may be £3 - who knows!

ClashCityRocker Sun 23-Aug-15 16:55:16

Ah I see.

If there's no drinks included, I can see how it might be easy to rack up £50 a day. How much does the drinks package cost?

It's shitty of them to put her in this situation though.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 25-Aug-15 16:07:12

What did the BF's mum say, OP? <nosey>

HettyD Wed 26-Aug-15 21:28:43

Hi, non alcohol package is £12-15 per day, but alcohol package is almost £40 a day...you don't have to have the packages though, can just buy as you want one...if she needs to participate with the family suggest a bottle of wine with dinner will be better value than a round of cocktails!! And their drinking age is 18 when in Europe I think...
Should tours not already be booked?? Maybe she and BF could use the shore time to have a wander around instead of organised trips?? Hope she enjoys the trip!!

nmg85 Wed 02-Sep-15 11:10:38

Drinking age if in Europe will be 18 however she may be asked for ID as her cruise card will say she is between 18 and 20. Drinks packages you need to average 6 - 7 alcoholic drinks a day to break even. If she won't do this then do not feel pressured to buy it. They have special offers on certain drinks and have happy hours maybe depending on cruise line. Buying a bottle of wine is often cheaper and if bought at restaurant they will keep for next night etc. Tours will be expensive you are talking at least £50pppd but often much more. We just got back from a cruise and didn't spend a thing ashore we just explored on our own. A cheap sight seeing option can be a walking tour or possibly a HOHO bus depending on location. An average glass of wine is about $8 - $10, cocktails from $8 - $15 and a beer around $5.50. Drinks included are tea, coffee (rubbish, decent stuff is extra), juice at breakfast, lemonade & fruit punch which are in buffet restaurant. Which cruise line? This is based on Celebrity cruises but most will be the same.

WalfordEast Sun 11-Oct-15 12:57:48

My friend has just been on a cruise with her partner, and she had to give credit card details on checking in for drinks to be charged to- it wasnt a case of PAYG, but it would be charged to your account linked tp your cabin number and then you pay it when your credit card bill comes through

topusers Thu 24-Dec-15 11:33:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AndNowItsSeven Thu 24-Dec-15 12:02:33

Are you sure her bf family don't intent to pay as she is their guest?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 24-Dec-15 12:10:47

The cruise was in August smile

AndNowItsSeven Thu 24-Dec-15 13:47:56

Why do people do this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now