Cruise & Excursions when PG

(8 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Tue 26-Mar-13 07:02:09

Hi all,

So my cruise is booked for mid May & I've just discovered I'm pg. presuming this LO sticks around (I'm not having much luck with sticky beans hmm) I'll be 3 months by the time we go.

Question 1 - is cruising at 3 months ok? Will it make me feel super sick? What about the dreaded norovirus - I'm über paranoid after past mcs.

Question 2 - we've booked 2 excursions described as 'high activity' - a 3 hr walk around town and a glacier climb. Will these be ok??? I'm a bit concerned but DH pointed out that our cruise in particular has a much higher older passenger clientele so surely the excursions are going to be do-able and at a fairly slow pace?

Would welcome your thoughts and advice please

I was 4 months pregnant when I first went on a ship (transatlantic). They may ask for a dr's note certifying you fit to travel and stating your EDD. I am the world's worst sailor anyway, which is annoying for someone who loves ships so much hmm and it meant that I couldn't take any medication to help with that so bear that in mind.

As for excursions, I wouldn't imagine they'll be too strenuous so you'll probably be fine.

That's a lie, I was 5 months!

And congratulations! smile

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 26-Mar-13 07:26:06

Thank you smile do you think I'd need a certificate at 3 months?

Dilidali Tue 26-Mar-13 07:31:02

Congratulations!!!!! I hope you'll have an easy pregnancy and a healthy happy baby smile.
Talk to your gynae. My baby was/ is very very very precious and I was/ am an extremely paranoid mother, I had my dramas (I mean dramas) yet I chose the que sera sera approach. So took myself abroad 4 times during my pregnancy, sightseeing, traveling by train for hours, on my own. I thought of it as my time with my child away from everything, our special time. I took it easy in the sense that I stopped whenever I fancied. I always wanted to go to Paris and just watch people, shop windows, going to art galleries. I fancied going to Germany, so I just did, because Iwas craving proper pastry, wanted to see friends and I quite like the architecture. I crammed in a trip to Italy in the very last stages of my pregnancy, that was a bit stupid though, because I was very fat, hot and went into water retention and had to be within 1 minute of a toilet, but I enjoyed most of it, the food, the attention. So, yeah, I took a different approach and just enjoyed time with my kid.
6 months after she was born we took off again, her and I, we have family holidays and a week here and there just me and her travelling round Europe, Africa and Asia. I wasn't like this before I fell pregnant, I used to be a homebody. It just turned into our tradition.

SuckingDiesel Tue 26-Mar-13 07:57:06

I went on a Caribbean cruise at 18/19 weeks pg last year. Sea sicknesses was only an issue one evening but the sea was unusually rough. I wasn't actually sick but did feel nauseous enough to skip dinner (unheard of for me to miss a meal grin ). Lots of fellow passengers who were regular cruisers were saying it was the roughest sea they'd ever experienced so very unusual and hopefully you'll be very unlikely to experience anything similar.

With regard to the excursions, please speak to the company. I found that lots of them, even those that didn't appear particularly physically taxing, weren't recommended for pregnant passengers when I read the literature we were issued with on board. I had to change a couple of my excursion preferences and I'm not particularly precious about these things usually but I was concerned that it would affect my insurance cover if something did happen on a trip where the terms and conditions had expressely stated that it might be unsuitable.

Ships are really hot on hygiene so try not to worry about norovirus and take the normal precautions. There will be anti-bac hand gel dispensers all over the place and, most likely, staff at the entrance to dining areas at meal times to encourage passengers to use the gel...particularly at the buffet. I noticed on the ship we were on that most of the buffet stations were staffed and they served most of the food so it wasn't a germ ridden free-for-all. Only really packaged food like cereals, yoghuts, milk etc. and drinks were self-service.

The only negative for me was not being able to sample the extensive cocktail menu. However, the bar staff were wonderful and when I told them I was pg, they were happy to make me non-alcoholic cocktails to suit my tastes, even though they weren't on the 'menu'. The frozen virgin pina coladas were particularly fab for keeping cool by the pool smile

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope all goes well for you. I found cruising wonderfully relaxing and hopefully you will too smile

BoyMeetsWorld Thu 28-Mar-13 20:04:47

Thanks lots everyone.

Dilidali - what an inspiring post! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now