P&O Ventura Norway

(15 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Tue 01-Jan-13 00:24:55

Ok...bit the bullet & booked in a moment of New Year madness

Any tips or experiences of this cruise on this ship to share please (no horror stories!) especially if you took children

zumo Tue 01-Jan-13 08:45:09

Look on the cruise critic forum, review ant trips you want to do and try and organise them your self as its far cheaper.
When you dock and go ashore make sure you have the address of the dock written down, the ship usualy have it on a shopping type leaflet and it will have the port agents details on, just incase yopu get lost or have an emergency,I also carry £100 or the local currency in my shoe incase of emergencys.
Take any kids medication with you at all times

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 01-Jan-13 22:07:00

Thanks, read through all those but only 1 out of the whole lot travelled with a toddler! Maybe we're mad.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 01-Jan-13 22:10:24

We did a P&O cruise - not this one, though - and there were lots of families with pre-school children. Children's facilities on board were great and we all had a fantastic time.

storynanny Tue 01-Jan-13 22:24:02

This ship is fabulous, you will have such a great time

DoubleMum Sun 06-Jan-13 19:52:08

We've been on Azura to the Fjords (have just posted on another thread in this topic so sorry if I repeat myself). It was fabulous, please don't worry. Ventura is better for the fjords than Azura too (they are sister ships) as it has a covered pool. P&O are brilliant for toddlers. How old is your LO and what would you like to know?

Justine2912 Thu 10-Jan-13 18:45:24

We have done the Fjords on Ventura and your little one will love it. The kids clubs are amazing and really look after your children when they are there which means a little time for relaxing for you as well. The scenary is fantastic and if you go to Olden try and go to the Glacier as it was a sight you might never see again. All in all you will have a lovely time when do you go?

Sunnymeg Mon 14-Jan-13 14:23:02

We did this cruise back I'm September. All was really good and child friendly. We have a 10 year old and he loved the kids club. He could go to it as frequently or infrequently as he liked, and we enjoyed a good mix of time as a family and time as a couple. The waiters were fantastic with him, and they do a child's menu if they don't fancy what's on the normal one. Our Norway trip was to Stavanger, Skjolden, Flam and Bergen. We took excursions at each port, which we all really enjoyed.

Choccyjules Thu 31-Jan-13 19:39:42

Marking place, booked this on Monday and SO excited!!!!!!

AmIGoingMad Thu 31-Jan-13 19:59:07

We went on med cruise on Azura in summer with 18 month old son. Yes it was a different experience to our previous cruises( one if which was Ventura) but it was fantastic! Facilities onboard were great and waiters/ bar staff were brilliant with him- most were missing little ones at home and loved seeing him in the evenings. We ate in main dining room on freedom dining most evening of fortnight cruise and found that fine. DS ate from children's menu. But waiters would always bring extra grapes etc when they knew that was what he liked. We took portable DVD player with night garden and Thomas to keep his routine ( albeit at different times to normal). They also got us a baby bath when we realised he didn't like the shower- they can be a little claustrophobic! I reckon that you should locate the playroom early on so that you have that as an option for an hour or so- perfect place for one of you to take little one while packings going on. We didn't stick to family discos either- just tended to suss out where would be quite ish for him to have a run about and burn some energy! I was glad that we took some ellas kitchen sachets and individual packs of cheerios for when he got a bit fussy/ would only eat chips.
Seriously- facilities are great and I'd definitely do it again. Hope you have a lovely time!

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 02-Feb-13 18:07:11

Thanks everyone!

I am looking forward to it now. Main questions / worries =

*is there enough to 'do' on a Norway cruise? We had wanted med but they were all more than we wanted to spend. Will DS (4) be interested in what Norway has to offer? (we'll obviously like the scenery but doubt he'll be so impressed!)

*is everything over there ridiculously expensive when off the ship? How much 'additional' did you spend?

*is it practical seeing all in one cabin with a 4 year old?

*norovirus!!!! Very scary thought....is it really as rife as they say?

DoubleMum Sun 03-Feb-13 16:03:34

Norovirus - we've been on 5 cruises and never had it. Be sensible and follow the precautions they recommend - wash your hands well with soap. Use a paper towel to open the door in the public toilet once you've washed your hands. Use the sanitiser in the restaurants. Be careful in the buffets (it's other passengers who do stupid things with shared utensils that you want to avoid!). You can buy anti-viral gel in Boots to carry with you if you wish - make sure it's the Purell anti-viral gel rather than standard anri-bacterial gel.
Yes Norway is really expensive, but with a 4 yr old you're unlikely to be doing a big trip so you can go back to the ship for lunch if you wish. Depending on your ports you may be docked right in the town so it's very easy.
We are 4 in a cabin and manage fine. If he is going to be on the top bunk ask for the extra Mothercare safety rail (like a toddler bed rail) to be in the cabin because the rail that's there is very small.
TBH I don't think you'll need to worry about not having enough to do, just getting off the ship and having a wander around is an adventure in itself if you're 4 (or even 44!).

Choccyjules Mon 04-Feb-13 16:35:56

I've used Tripadvisor to price up and write down timings etc for a trip in each port without using P&O's excursions. The savings are big and you often use the local bus Not a taxi (who line up at the port and also fleece you!).

Two of the ports we'll be visiting have those open-top hop on/off buses that you see in tourist cities here, same company, and 10% off your next ticket.

People advise that going independent you can get left behind by the ship but we won't go far enough for that to happen (she hopes)!

BoyMeetsWorld Mon 04-Feb-13 17:20:28

Thanks double & Choccy - really good advice. Choccy, we're scared of getting left too...can you imagine it!

DoubleMum Sun 17-Feb-13 22:00:21

I've seen people getting left, it definitely happens (although have been on ships when the captain has waited for a group of people who weren't on an official tour also). Just make sure you know exactly what time the ship leaves (it is always on the board as you leave the ship) and plan to get back a good hour earlier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now