Where to find cruise deals and any advice?

(9 Posts)
Arabellasmella Mon 25-Jun-12 09:17:26

Hi all,
I am the big 40 in August next year and I've been thinking for a while that I would like to have a special holiday to celebrate. Would love to take my husband and two boys (age 7 and 5) on a cruise and was wondering if you seasoned cruisers could help with any advice.
Are there any websites I could look at for deals? We are not particularly well-off and would be trying to get the best price possible.
Also was wondering if the med might be too hot in August and what the Baltic would be like then?
Any advice greatly received. I take it we could all fit into one cabin??
Many thanks
Clueless in Cumbria!

IamtheZombie Mon 25-Jun-12 17:25:53

Hi Arabella.

If you google "cheap cruise deals" you will get a good list of consolidation sites. It's often easier to look on those sites than to try and check the sites for the cruise lines themselves as it gives you a good overview. If you're thinking of August 2013, have a look at the sites now and by looking at this August's cruises you should get a feel for the sort of deals that may be available next year.

The Med can be hot in August. The ships themselves are well airconditioned but you're probably more concerned with being out and about in ports of call. I've no experience of Baltic cruises so can't help there.

There will certainly be cabins that can accommodate 4 of you. There will be 2 low level beds and 2 pull down top bunks. I personally don't like the big ships but they do do a better job of catering for families and will have children's clubs and special activities that the small ships won't have.

Do be prepared to never want to settle for any other sort of holiday ever again... grin

Arabellasmella Sat 30-Jun-12 21:09:59

Hi, thanks for the advice, we have taken the plunge and booked one with MSC, couldn't resist the children go free offer"!

SewCrafty Wed 18-Jul-12 13:34:53

We've booked our first cruise with MSC too, just paid the final amount for Oct half term week. Friends have been with them and say they're good, such a good value with the kids being free.

Gr8one8 Mon 20-Aug-12 17:10:43

Definately agree that you should go on holiday for the special birthday!
I have travelled by ferry 3-4 in the last 2 yearsand there are some very competetive websites out there, a really good price comparison website is www.aferry.co.uk and we have also found good deals on www.ferrysavers.co.uk , they always seem to be cheapest.
I would generally advise you not to just settle for the operators price directly and look around first.
I hope this helps and hope you enjoy your travels smile

Gr8one8 Mon 20-Aug-12 17:11:36

Definately agree that you should go on holiday for the special birthday!
I have travelled by ferry 3-4 in the last 2 yearsand there are some very competetive websites out there, a really good price comparison website is www.aferry.co.uk and we have also found good deals on www.ferrysavers.co.uk , they always seem to be cheapest.
I would generally advise you not to just settle for the operators price directly and look around first.
I hope this helps and hope you enjoy your travels

rachyconks Mon 20-Aug-12 17:18:53

My advice is wait until September. September is national cruise month and will be when all the best offers are available. Also, if you find a price online take it to your local travel agents (think High street chains) with a print out. Business between them is so fierce for cruise they will discount up to 15% of the on screen price.

Hope that helps
Rachy

AndreaDawn Sat 20-Jul-13 21:15:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

DramaAlpaca Sat 20-Jul-13 21:19:48

This is too late because you've booked already, but the weather in the Baltic is perfect in August. We were there last August & it was wonderful.

Cruising is amazing if you pick the right ship, it's the best holiday ever & you & your DC will have a brilliant time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now