DH worrying about losing a child overboard. Is this possible?

(36 Posts)
DonnaNoble Wed 13-Jul-11 20:32:04

My parents are wanting to take myself, DH, DB, SIL and our 4 children away on holiday for their 40th wedding anniversary. DB wil not fly, so a cruise has been suggested.

The children would be aged between 2 and 8 when we went. DH is not keen as is worried about one of our 3 lively boys deciding to leg it overboard.

Is this a risk? He has got me worrying now and my mum is pretty cheesed off.

ebbandflow Fri 15-Jul-11 22:39:27

Personally I'd be worried sick, and be relieved that your DH is against the idea.

Isla77 Sat 16-Jul-11 00:05:52

There is a Cruise Critic section on TripAdvisor. This has been discussed on there and people who have been on cruises with young children have been very reassuring. Also on the cruise section under travel on Mumsnet. You might want to check on there. Hope you work something out.

Jacinda Sat 16-Jul-11 01:24:23

Children can and do go overboard on small boats and yachts. Commercial cruise ships are something entirely different. They are basically huge floating hotels designed and built with safety of all passengers in mind. Toddlers or drunken tourists falling into the sea wouldn't be good for business.

Bear Grylls lived (lives?) with his young children on a boat.

nannyl Tue 19-Jul-11 09:31:50

Have done 4 P&O cruises

in all honesty there is no way they would accidently fall over board onthe main passenger decks
No more risk than in any normal modern shopping centre with different levels

the deck boundries are high and not climb able

you could NOT trip and fall over board by mistake.

slightly more risky is your balcony if you have one.... but again only if you allow your child to perhaps stand on the chair on the balcony or sit on the side....
and they are always saying do NOT sit on balcony rail

Also on the main passenger decks (which are up high) even if you fell climbed by using furniture as a climbing frame, over you would probably land on a lower deck, not in the sea.

If you are really worried just get a room that doesnt have a balcony.... and main passenger decks are as safe as any other public place which is not on ground level

Mum2be79 Sat 04-Feb-12 16:43:51

As an avid cruiser with many cruises under my belt I can assure you that it is NOT possible to lose a child overboard unless of course they are climbing/mucking about or pushed!
The guards are so high they come up to my mid chest (5ft 3ins) and perfect height for resting arms on at chest level. Safety is so stringent that it really is not possible.
Yes there have been cases of people 'falling overboard' but these have been due to drunkeness, stupid behaviour, assault and murder. NEVER has it happened to a small child.
As for your 'lively' boy - I have met dozens of lively children (some of which believe me I have that split second thought whilst looking over the rails ...) and none have been that stupid to leg it overboard. Either your child has something seriously wrong with their behaviour or you're not giving your child much credit for sanity and intelligence.
Go for it - cruising is brilliant. 9Although we're not going until DS is three because Princess don't provide much for the younger child and charge the same rate whether a child is 6 months or 16 years!!!)

stillfeel18inside Tue 12-Jun-12 15:57:31

OP I worried about this before going on a cruise a couple of years ago (Royal Carribean) but honestly, I stopped worrying once on the cruise because the railings are really high, at least on this particular ship (voyager of the seas) and there's nowhere a child could slip/squeeze through, however determined. I did worry slightly when we had one very windy day at sea so insisted the kids (10 and 8 then) didn't go on deck on their own that day. Depending on their age, cruises have such a safe feel that the kids do pretty much roam free most of the time and that's part of the fun - getting to know the ship and deciding what they want to do at different times - so it's probably not practical to decide the solution is to ensure they're with you at all times unless they're very little.

However fears can definitely ruin a holiday - I too remember a villa with pool holiday when I spent the whole time living on my nerves - not fun!

belgo Tue 12-Jun-12 16:02:38

I remember one of my children standing on a chair next to the railings, of course we made her get down quickly, but I suppose that way it is possible. The same way it is possible for a child to fall off a balcony. Very rare, but can happen if they are allowed to climb on tables/chairs without being supervised.

ChopstheDuck Tue 12-Jun-12 16:03:33

I've often wondered this, but after reading the thread I think you are worrying too much.

When I think of all the things that the dts have gotten up to on holidays - dt2 was climbing swinging on a flimsy wooden fence at the top of a 700m deep canyon in Provence last year when my back was turned for a second! Luckily another tourist saw him and stopped him. All over the place there are risks from rivers, or heights, I think a cruise ship sounds quite safe in comparison.

belgo Tue 12-Jun-12 16:05:18

A holiday villa with a swimming pool is far more dangerous then a cruise. Children die every year in swimming pools on holiday.

RoyalOakMaiden Tue 12-Jun-12 16:08:55

Old old Oooold thread.

Wonder if the OP got her holiday? Or if any children fell overboard and drowned...

Relizabeth Sat 16-Jun-12 14:23:13

It's fantastic going on a cruise holiday with children!! Ours are 14, 6 and 4 and we have been doing this since our 6 yr old was a baby!

It's great because every one gets a holiday parents and children. They get to do their childrens clubs which are full of exciting activities and new friends and you get peace and quiet todo your own thing.

Go for it and don't worry about the overboard stuff-it won't happen as you are all loving caring parents and granparents!

Enjoy and have a wonderful time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now